1.    #1  
    Treo 680 to Receive Push To Talk Capability?
    Posted By: Kris Keilhack on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:26:09 AM
    Rumor: The Boy Genius Report, is reporting that the recently-released Cingular Treo 680 is going to receive a software update to enable Push-to-Talk functionality. Push-to-talk, usually abbreviated to PTT, is a "Walkie Talkie" mode for cellular telephones similar to Nextel's Direct Connect system. No date is given in the article for the availability of this update.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...lk-capability/
    Great.... another phone that allows me to hear both sides of someone elses conversation.
    I have a hard enough time keeping up with SMS and IM some days. If this is an optional upgrade, I won't be installing it. PTT is as silly to me as video streaming over the air.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    Great.... another phone that allows me to hear both sides of someone elses conversation.
    Arrgggg, I agree with you. Man I really hate hearing people use those Nextels, "chirping" one another. Who wants to hear people screaming back and forth to one another. Hearing one person screaming on one side of a conversation is bad enough. Just MHO.
    Last edited by wcarr3; 12/13/2006 at 04:39 PM.
    All that I know is that its in testing. Don't know where. And my guess is that there will be a firmware update in Feb to address that and other issues. This is just a guess on my part (for now).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I'm pretty sure the majority of us just want one thing mainly fixed....
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    GO ahead..say it!! B-b-b-b-b-b-elt clip right?!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    GO ahead..say it!! B-b-b-b-b-b-elt clip right?!
    I'm all for being connected, but that is just a little bit too connected for me. I'm sure it would become annoying after a while. I mean how many different ways does someone need to be able to contact you. As if voice calls, SMS, email and IM are not enough, now we need PTT.

I could see myself using the silence switch more and more if I had PTT.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I live in an urban area near a public housing community. Nothing worse than hearing people screaming into their Nextel walkie talkie phones with evey other word containing some version of f**k at 3:00am! I want a cell phone jammer, but they are illeagal in the US. Yeah, we don't need more PTT!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Wow, do people really dig this feature though? Is this what the masses have really been clamoring for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    The heck with PTT - just give me longer battery life!

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    Not really a concern on the 680 - have you tried to use the speakerphone yet?
    Stupid feature - I just don't get it. With unlimited mobile-to-mobile and SMS I am not sure I understand why anyone needs PTT. It was neat when they first came out with it (Nextel) because it was free to PTT other Nextel subscribers and the rate plans back then made this an attractive feature for some businesses. But in the year 2006 I have no idea why it is needed. Frankly I think one of Sprint's biggest mistakes has been the acquistion of Nextel just to get their PTT network. Dumb.

I sure hope Palm has PTT very very far down their list of things to fix/add to the 680. But then again we should not be surprised if their customer, Cingular, is pushing to have PTT sooner than later as the feature gives them yet another revenue stream from the 680 install base.