Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the 680 3G capable at all or are we going to have to wait for an unlocked 750 to come out?

Also, does anyone know of any timetable for Cingular to activate 3G in the Miami area?
    There is no 3G ability with the 680. The OS cannot do it without some major rewriting of the software. The 750 is 3G for GSM networks that is coming and should be here before end of year if my guess is right, or right after new years if there is still software issues being worked out.

Best place to look for 3G is Cingular's coverage map (on their website, city zoom level), and Howard Forum's Cingular section.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, that's where I was looking at. They already have it in Atlanta. Hopefully it will be in Miami soon. Thanks for the quick reply!
    you can also download 3Gfor680.prc
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Actually, if T-Mobile rolls out UMTS, the towers are backward compatible with GSM/Edge devices, and provide a slight speed improvement, in part because they can handle more devices at once and have greater throughput. So even though a Treo 680 won't do UMTS, the browsing speed should increase. Fastest I'v seen so far is about 140kbps on a newly upgraded T-Mobile Edge tower, so with the 3G towers, I'd expect closer to 200kbps. For the tradeoff of speed vs battery life, I'd say that isn't bad.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Actually, if T-Mobile rolls out UMTS, the towers are backward compatible with GSM/Edge devices, and provide a slight speed improvement, in part because they can handle more devices at once and have greater throughput. So even though a Treo 680 won't do UMTS, the browsing speed should increase. Fastest I'v seen so far is about 140kbps on a newly upgraded T-Mobile Edge tower, so with the 3G towers, I'd expect closer to 200kbps. For the tradeoff of speed vs battery life, I'd say that isn't bad.

I wonder if this isn't true for Cingular as well. In areas that are 3G here in Ohio (Not listed on national map, but now listed when you zoom and verified with Cingular), and am getting speeds of 170 - 200 kbits/sec. I live in a 3g area now and at my Home office, I am consistantly getting speeds of 175 - 190 kbits/sec. I have to say that I am very happy with these speeds!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I live in CT and use Cingular. This is my first Treo and I love it, for battery is 10X better after a week of using it. I've been trying out Cingular internet capability in CT and it works very good. In almost all places at home (inside the house) at work (concrete buildingis) I get between 100-150 kbps at 200kb and 600kb down loads. I some sparse areas I can get between 170kbps and 190kbps. I used dslreports for the tests. I'm very happy. I am hoping to squeeze closer to 384kbps, but I don't know if it's possible. EDGE is rated at 384 so I wonder how much closer I can get.
    3G is a bad choice of words. EDGE is 3G.

If you looking for the latest and greatest on Cingular, "UMTS" and "HSDPA" would be a better term to use.
    Edge is actually considered 2G now.
    No, you can't "reconsider" compliance a standard......a standard is written and approved by a standards body, a device either complies or it doesn't...there's no wiggle room.

It's like saying a person with a million dollars in the bank "is not considered a millionaire now". Sure by comparison to 1975, a millionaire then was a lot better off than one today and whereas millionaires might have represented 2% of the population in 1975 to say 25% today.....but that doesn't change the fact that the definition of millionaire is someone with a million dollars.
    I thought EDGE was always called 2.5 G, and never 3G?

Surur
    EDGE was never 3G. GPRS was 2G, EDGE was called 2.5G, UMTS is 3G. EDGE has never ever been 3G.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    that was my point HEHE
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    you can also download 3Gfor680.prc
    No link to where to download, lest that was some really nice sacrasim u have

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I thought EDGE was always called 2.5 G, and never 3G?

Surur
    2.5 G is make believe ...... doesn't exist. If ya think I'm wrong, find it on the FCC web site. In short

1G - analog voice
    2G - digital voice
    3G - digital voice and data with 144 kbps capacity in vehicular traffic.

http://www.fcc.gov/3G/

3G System Capabilities
    Capability to support circuit and packet data at high bit rates:

* 144 kilobits/second or higher in high mobility (vehicular) traffic
    * 384 kilobits/second for pedestrian traffic
    * 2 Megabits/second or higher for indoor traffic
    Does EDGE meet that standard ? Yes, case closed.

Now how did all this X.5 foolishness start ? When technology advanced to the point where they could lay on data capability onto existing 2G services, marketing types created the 2.5G moniker for GPRS as an attempt to distinguish it from plain ole 2G.....but it's a made up thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5G

While the terms "2G" and "3G" are officially defined, "2.5G" is not. It was invented for marketing purposes only.
    Later, some pundits with a penchant for sarcasm, referred to EDGE as 2.5G or the even more ridiculous 2.75G to try and separate EDGE from other 3G services which are significantly faster. Going back to the millionaire analogy, if Mr. EDGE has 2 million.....Mr EVDO has 5 million and Mr HSDPA has 10 million, are they in the same class ? Well if the class is defined by "millionaires", the answer is yes.

To look at it another way, what does the G stand for ? 3rd generation. I went to a wedding for someone in my wife's family last month. Her grandparents were there, 1st generation born in this country; her parents were there 2nd generation born int his country and she was there as 3rd generation born in this country. There were no 2.5 generation people there.

It's getting even more ridiculous as the marketing people are at it again trying to distinguish HSDPA from EVDO by creating 3.5G and 3.75G. These so called "standards" are whatever they say they are cause no such official classification exists.

Hate to keep quoting the same old sources every time this topic comesup:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1771206,00.asp

Cingular's EDGE network has the most nationwide coverage and is the cheapest to use, but it is also the slowest—only about twice the speed of dial-up. EDGE is only marginally 3G; some experts consider it a 2.5G network. But it's still a major jump ahead of the slow (30- to 50-Kbps) GPRS speeds you're used to getting.
    The new mobile wireless is here, thanks to third-generation (3G) cell-phone networks. 2G networks were the first digital voice networks, and data was an afterthought. 2.5G systems superimposed more data-friendly protocols on 2G. Now 3G networks move data at least twice as fast as dial-up phone lines, and often much faster, letting you download video, audio, Web pages, and e-mail on the run.

The fast download speeds make new kinds of content available to phones and PDAs that you could never get with GPRS, a 2.5G service. You can watch TV-quality video clips from NBC, PBS, or CNN. You can add big new games and fancy MP3 ringtones, and e-mail super high-resolution pictures. Cingular's UMTS network even offers videophone calling.
    Essentially, ya can call EDGE whatever ya want. If it has a decimal point it's not real so each person can define whatever X.5, X.75 or X.568174 because as soon as you add the decimal point it's all made up and, since you're making it up, you get to define what that means.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    EDGE was never 3G. GPRS was 2G, EDGE was called 2.5G, UMTS is 3G. EDGE has never ever been 3G.
    Wrong, wrong and wrong.

1. 3G is defined by the FCC. EDGE meets the the digital 144 kpbs standard stipulated by the FCC as minimum requirement for 3G.
    2. GPRS was "labeled" 2.5G. However, there is no 2.5G specification so what does that mean ? 2.5G was a term made up by marketing types to distinguish GPRS from 2G as it was so much faster at 30-50 kbps. bUt made up means "not real".
    3. The quotes above and FCC official classification say otherwise.

For vehicular digital service,

< 144 kbps = Not 3G
    > 144 kbps = 3G

That's the standard, it's not subject to interpretation. It's not subject to the whims of marketing types. It's not subject to the sarcasm of media pundits. It simply is what the standards says it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

< 144 kbps = Not 3G
    > 144 kbps = 3G
    HAHA!
    So you can get 144 kbps while in a moving vehicle on EDGE?
    I call BS!
    Apple iPhone, BlackBerry 8800 and a Treo 750 on the "new" at&t. Palm Centro on Sprint.
    Sorry, but I have to say wrong, wrong, wrong. Please ask Nokia, Motorola, heck even Palm if EDGE is 3G. They will all tell you no! Have you ever gotten 144kbps in a moving vehicle with EDGE? I didn't think so.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Wrong, wrong and wrong.

1. 3G is defined by the FCC. EDGE meets the the digital 144 kpbs standard stipulated by the FCC as minimum requirement for 3G.
    2. GPRS was "labeled" 2.5G. However, there is no 2.5G specification so what does that mean ? 2.5G was a term made up by marketing types to distinguish GPRS from 2G as it was so much faster at 30-50 kbps. bUt made up means "not real".
    3. The quotes above and FCC official classification say otherwise.

< 144 kbps = Not 3G
    > 144 kbps = 3G

That's the standard, it's not subject to interpretation. It's not subject to the whims of marketing types. It's not subject to the sarcasm of media pundits. It simply is what the standards says it is.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Sounds good I can get 144kbps sitting at home or at work not while driving in my car, how do I get 384kbps sitting at home or at work without getting the Treo 750?
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    HAHA!
    So you can get 144 kbps while in a moving vehicle on EDGE?
    I call BS!
    HEhehe, i get it in DC Metro between DC and B-More on 95 while doing 70+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast