Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Someone just asked me this question as she is thinking of purchasing a 680. What types of music files can be used as Ringtones in the 680. I tried to recall my 650 days and seem to believe the device could NOT play mp3 or wav files. I think, if I'm not mistaken, there was only one file type that could be used - MIDI. Even so, one had to use Blazer to go to a site and get the MIDI file. I could not just transfer the file to the SD card or to the device during a sync.

Are things different with the 680? Thanks.
    David
    Pretty much. You can use MiniTones to convert mp3's into ringtones. It is a freeware app. Very easy.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

You are correct in the MIDI file type.

However, you can use the voice recorder function to record any "noise" and then convert it to a ring tone - this is built in to the software.

So if you have a high quality MP3 playing through some decent speakers then you can have just about any "ringtone" that you want.

I have made several quality files - my personal favorite for my family members is Pink Floyd's "Wishing you were here".
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    The 680 can play midi or wave files (less than 200k) natively. You can send them via bluetooth, email, or web pages. You cannot hotsync them or load them on an SD card to get them to appear.

For midi files, they are automatically added to the ringtones database. For wave files, it will ask if you want to save them to the voice memo app. Then in there, there is a menu selection to "copy to ringtone" which will add them to the ringtone database. Wave sounds greater than 200k (actually I think it's more like 194k) get silently clipped at that size. So you don't know the sound isn't complete until you play.

Third party software will allow you to play MP3 files. I've owned some of them and trust none of them. I'm sure others will chime in how it works for them, but I've never seen one of these apps that doesn't cause some instability.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, everyone. As I read the posts, I'm thinking that the Palm OS is desperately in need of an upgrade.
    David
    OK, I *HAD* to have new ringtones so I installed Minitones. Worked like a charm. Even clipped a couple of files.

I don't mind the ROM loss as I am used to being frugal with my old 600. My question: how do you delete files that you get tired of? I did a quick check through Zlauncher's file viewer and could not see them. Am I missing something or did I just permanently commit to having Freek-a-leek as a ringer choice ? As always, thanks for the assist gang.

Follow up: Never mind, you can find them with a TON prefix using the file viewer. Phew.
    Last edited by alohafriday; 12/13/2006 at 06:19 PM.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The 680 can play midi or wave files (less than 200k) natively. You can send them via bluetooth, email, or web pages. You cannot hotsync them or load them on an SD card to get them to appear. <snip>.
    Actually, you can load wav files off the SD card. Use (a trial version of) Resco Explorer. Tap & hold per file. When the pop-up menu appears, choose "open with...", then select "Sounds". I've had several wav files larger than 200k-- still works. Explorer somehow transfers 'em over to RAM, the Sounds app grabs it, and it's done.

Learned this when I gave up on 3rd party apps, as too finicky and unreliable. Now I have the best of both worlds, since the native 680 Contacts app allows you to assign a ringtone per contact (as well as category), and those wav files appear in the selection list. NO resulting stability woes! Ahhhhh...
    You tried playing the wave files and you're sure they weren't truncated?

Also have noticed that the vibrate then ring and escalate ringtone options in sounds don't work right unless you use a midi sound? If I use a wave sound then the sound never plays if I use either of those options, only midi sounds work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade View Post
    Actually, you can load wav files off the SD card. Use (a trial version of) Resco Explorer. Tap & hold per file. When the pop-up menu appears, choose "open with...", then select "Sounds". I've had several wav files larger than 200k-- still works. Explorer somehow transfers 'em over to RAM, the Sounds app grabs it, and it's done.

Learned this when I gave up on 3rd party apps, as too finicky and unreliable. Now I have the best of both worlds, since the native 680 Contacts app allows you to assign a ringtone per contact (as well as category), and those wav files appear in the selection list. NO resulting stability woes! Ahhhhh...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The 680 can play midi or wave files (less than 200k) natively. You can send them via bluetooth, email, or web pages. You cannot hotsync them or load them on an SD card to get them to appear.

For midi files, they are automatically added to the ringtones database. For wave files, it will ask if you want to save them to the voice memo app. Then in there, there is a menu selection to "copy to ringtone" which will add them to the ringtone database. Wave sounds greater than 200k (actually I think it's more like 194k) get silently clipped at that size. So you don't know the sound isn't complete until you play.

Third party software will allow you to play MP3 files. I've owned some of them and trust none of them. I'm sure others will chime in how it works for them, but I've never seen one of these apps that doesn't cause some instability.
    Yeah I used Ringo on my cingular 650 and am about to try it on my 680. But I totally agree because Ringo Pro was totally unstable but I used it anyway because I didn't have to pay for it It used to make my phone crash but didn't care because I needed my ringtones
    I used Lightwave Pro on my 650 and it worked flawlessly. But on the 680, it causes the phone/PDA to soft reset. Anyone try any others?

I used mRing on my Treo 680 but it didn't work.
    Ringtones are played with interruptions.
    Now I use MiniTones.
    It works like charme.
    I can even select the right ringtone for a category in contacts.
    The only thing I miss is that you can't set the amount of vibrations before playing the ringtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I used Lightwave Pro on my 650 and it worked flawlessly. But on the 680, it causes the phone/PDA to soft reset. Anyone try any others?

I used Lightwav Pro on my 650, too, and loved it, but it kept resetting my 680, as well. I found an old version (v. 1.2) of Lightwav Pro on my PC and tried it and it actually works! It allows you to select different MP3 ringtones for different numbers and has full-screen caller ID, but doesn't have all of the other bells and whistles of the later versions, like the ability to position the MP3 ringtone wherever you want in the song and the picture dial. But, it's far better than anything else I've tried on my 680, including Ringo Pro, which I thought was awful (the phone vibrated through 2 full rings before the ringtone started) and kept resetting my phone, too.

If you'd like Lightwav Pro v. 1.2 to tide you over until Danny Wong from Toysoft does an upgrade compatible with the 680, please personal message me with your email address and I'll be happy to sent it to you.
    According to the box my Treo 680 came in, it should play MP3 ring tones..... doesn't though.
    Get Minitones.

It will solve your problems.

Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    According to the box my Treo 680 came in, it should play MP3 ring tones..... doesn't though.
    It claims mp3 ringtones or playback?
  16. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    my personal favorite for my family members is Pink Floyd's "Wishing you were here".
    Any self-respecting Floyd fan would know it's Wish You Were Here.
    Unless you're thinking of the follow-up album to "Darker Side of the Moon"?

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade View Post
    since the native 680 Contacts app allows you to assign a ringtone per contact (as well as category), and those wav files appear in the selection list. NO resulting stability woes! Ahhhhh...
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question,maybe I am just not reading your post correctly. (I'm fairly new to the treo)

but,,, I knew you could assign ringtones to each contact, but you can assign a specific ringtone to just categories in your address book also??
    How is this done?
    Excellent work. Easy to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question,maybe I am just not reading your post correctly. (I'm fairly new to the treo)

but,,, I knew you could assign ringtones to each contact, but you can assign a specific ringtone to just categories in your address book also??
    How is this done?
    Open contacts.
    Select category
    Edit each entry in category.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Open contacts.
    Select category
    Edit each entry in category.

OK, thanks, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying there was a way to just assingn a ringtone to a catagory alone, and it would ring for anyone in that catagory.
    Like just assigning a special ringtone to "business" catagory, then anyone who was filed in that catagory would ring with that assigned ringtone.
    That would be a nice option!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast