Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just gotta ask (can't believe I haven't asked before) how my fellow Treo users can own such an expensive, somewhat delicate phone, without protecting it with a hard case.

A little leather or rubber may look pretty enough, but if it falls from, maybe three feet up, that's gonna really hurt your resale value if not ruin your phone.

Obviously, everyone's needs and preferences differ. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - except, maybe my own.

So, how can you NOT have a hard protective case for your Treo?
    Just lucky. After 2+ years of road-warrior use, with just a screen protector, my 600 looks fine.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Just lucky. After 2+ years of road-warrior use, with just a screen protector, my 600 looks fine.
    Excellent (and surprising).

I keep hearing horror stories about and seeing Treo's with messed-up buttons and huge cracks and whatnot. Mine isn't perfect, but it's a heckuva lot prettier than it would've been if I hadn't put it in a hard case. That is to say, it remains functional.

To be fair, though, not everyone's comfortable wearing their phone on a hip. Those that do have a greater chance of it falling or catching random beatings. Those that keep their phones in purses or... I dunno, briefcases or something, don't have to worry about that kinda thing. (Although I guess the crap in a purse could pose a threat.)

I just want my phone RIGHT THERE when I need it and, since pockets aren't always available or big enough, I go for the belt clip.
    I keep it in my pocket because I don't like to wear it on me.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've just gotta ask (can't believe I haven't asked before) how my fellow Treo users can own such an expensive, somewhat delicate phone, without protecting it with a hard case.

A little leather or rubber may look pretty enough, but if it falls from, maybe three feet up, that's gonna really hurt your resale value if not ruin your phone.

Obviously, everyone's needs and preferences differ. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - except, maybe my own.

So, how can you NOT have a hard protective case for your Treo?

I like the feel and usability of the naked TREO in my hand. Have never dropped a PDA from my hand in 10 years, although I did run over my Palm V with my car. (Had been bumped off my belt. (No more plastic latches for me!) (I think only the Titanium Rhino Skin case would have saved that one.)

If not in my hand -- it is protected in my horizontal belt clip case.
    Good enough.

Cheers, Perry.
    I've got a Monaco horizontal leather case w/belt clip (it's actually the 2nd one so far) and I've had the Treo for 1.5 yrs. No scratches, cracks, etc and the phone (in the case) has fallen off my belt a few times.....two of those onto concrete. Guess I'm just lucky or that the leather case does provide significant protection for a couple foot drop.
    Almost 2 years with no case or screen protector. I have attached a lanyard (wrist strap) to keep me from dropping it. I carry it in my pocket with the screen facing my leg. I hate carrying a phone on my belt. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    ...the naked TREO...

SCANdalous!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    I've got a Monaco horizontal leather case w/belt clip (it's actually the 2nd one so far) and I've had the Treo for 1.5 yrs. No scratches, cracks, etc and the phone (in the case) has fallen off my belt a few times.....two of those onto concrete. Guess I'm just lucky or that the leather case does provide significant protection for a couple foot drop.
    Hmm.

Despite my teasing post to Perry, I kinda like the idea of a full-access to the Treo, too.

"Monaco horizontal leather case." Allrightee.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I have attached a lanyard (wrist strap)
    How'd you manage that?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    So my treo has scratches and paint chips. So what. Function wins over form for me every time. I've dropped it loads of times, never done any harm. Anyway, that's what insurance is for. Resale value? whoever would buy a second hand phone? No, give me instant access to my Treo - I use a belt clip. Its a tool, not a toy.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit View Post
    So my treo has scratches and paint chips. So what. Function wins over form for me every time. I've dropped it loads of times, never done any harm. Anyway, that's what insurance is for. Resale value? whoever would buy a second hand phone? No, give me instant access to my Treo - I use a belt clip. Its a tool, not a toy.
    *slices away the 'tude and addresses the substance*

1) Function over function.
    Drops can affect both.

2) Insurance.
    Usually has a deductible. Costs money.
    Maybe money's no object for you, though.

3) "whoever would buy a second hand phone?"
    Quite a few ebaYers.

4) Instant access.
    Hardcases and instant access are not mutually exclusive.

5) A tool not a toy.
    I know a tool when I see one.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I've never liked the feeling of cases and whatnot on my Treos, so I've always carried them naked, without a screen protector, in my left pants pocket, screen facing my leg. All this years that I've owned Treos, I have never damaged them.
    I have no idea how people can drop their Treos. I don't have any problems with my Treo 'slipping' out of my hand. I guess people can be clumsy.

A naked Treo is a beautiful Treo.
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    I've never liked the feeling of cases and whatnot on my Treos, so I've always carried them naked, without a screen protector, in my left pants pocket, screen facing my leg. All this years that I've owned Treos, I have never damaged them.
    I have no idea how people can drop their Treos. I don't have any problems with my Treo 'slipping' out of my hand. I guess people can be clumsy.
    My pants aren't always baggy enough or empty enough for that to be an option, but I kinda wish it were. That'd be cool.

I've never dropped my "naked" phone, either. It's always been in the case, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    A naked Treo is a beautiful Treo.
    This is a family forum, thankyouverymuch.

<<--- Treo prude.
    I used silicone covers then when I ripped and replaced a bunch I gave up. Another vote for naked, carried in my pocket.
    west3man:

I made a thread about attaching my lanyard. Search for it and you will find it. I'm posting from my Treo right now.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I can't do it. I am waiting for my Vaja case right now and It is killing me.

i like my Treo with a miniskirt. Just enough of it shows.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm posting from my Treo right now.
    Marry me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I can't do it. I am waiting for my Vaja case right now and It is killing me.

i like my Treo with a miniskirt. Just enough of it shows.
    Does it look anything like these?

So, would that be the hard one or the soft one? (That sounds worse than I meant it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit View Post
    Speaking of insurance, now that the 650 is no longer for sale on the Palm site, if you break your 650, would it be replaced with a 680 if you're GSM? There's a tradeoff there, with much less battery life....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast