Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Speaking of insurance, now that the 650 is no longer for sale on the Palm site, if you break your 650, would it be replaced with a 680 if you're GSM? There's a tradeoff there, with much less battery life....

No - most likely you would get a refurbished 650
    Never really needed it. Certainly my phone has a few scrapes and paint chips, but it still works fine. It has fallen quite a few times from my old belt clip onto hard surfaces and still works fine.

I guess my resale value is less, but I plan on keeping the phone for a few more years, so that really isn't a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    How'd you manage that?
    O.k., I'm on my computer now. Here is the link:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=lanyard
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit View Post
    So my treo has scratches and paint chips. So what. Function wins over form for me every time. I've dropped it loads of times, never done any harm. Anyway, that's what insurance is for. Resale value? whoever would buy a second hand phone? No, give me instant access to my Treo - I use a belt clip. Its a tool, not a toy.
    i bought mine off ebay! and easily fisxed the scratched screen and casing with some replacement parts, now it looks brand new... i use it with just the screen protector from Shieldzone
    Handspring Visor > SONY Clie T650c> Sony CLIE NX70V (got stolen) > Sony Clie UX40 > PalmOne Treo 650 (Cingular unlocked)
    Does it look anything like these?

So, would that be the hard one or the soft one? (That sounds worse than I meant it.)
    Similar design. But I love thier stuff. Make my Treo feel and look like $1,000,000.

I have Tried so many cases and these just feel great. Plus the resale value Is pretty high
    Hi, folks. I own both a 650 and a new 680. I took the 680 straight over to a ShieldZone and had them fit my 680 with a complete body covering. The advantages to this are:

1) Far more scratch-and-ding resistant
    2) More "grippy" in my hand = less likely to have it slip out like a bar of soap
    3) Still has that nekkid feel and slips easily into my leather horizontal belt case
    4) Should help with resale value

Hope this helps.... enjoy your Treoing!
    I like mine naked, too. Yea, the paint's already chipping off the 5-way, and there are scratches around the screen (though not on the screen itself) owing to my habit of placing the phone screen down on my desk and such because the damn thing "rocks" if you place it with the screen up on any surface. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, I could not care less about the cosmetic stuff. As someone else mentioned, my Treo is a business tool to me. That said, I do use a screen protector. I wouldn't be able to tolerate scratches on the that.

Keep it in my left-front pants-pocket, screen toward my leg. Use kung-fu death grip when I'm using it. Should it crash to the floor one day and bust into pieces (and I have no doubt it one day will), I've got it insured.

Would add bulk and heft and otherwise compromise use one way or another if I added a case. Takes all sorts, I suppose. Just as some can't imagine not having a case, I can't imagine why people would purchase one.

That said, I have thought about getting one of those leather slim-sleeves to pop it in so I can keep coins or something else in my pocket. But it's got to slide out in a flash. Nothing that stays attached to the device.
    I used to use an Innoocket, but it was like talking into a tin can. Protective, but large, ugly, and hated feeling it against my face. Plus, I had a beard and it was always tugging at my whiskers!

Plus to type, I had to open the case.

Now I use a thin black skin (nothing over any key, just a strip across between 5-way and screen) and carry it in a Sedio horizontal case. The case keeps it secure on me, and the skin keeps it secure in my hand. My wifes naked Treo feels like a wet bar of soap when I'm using it... I'm afraid it's gonna pop out of my hand.

I have a stick-on skin I bought on much recommendation from this forum but never opened the packaging..

The only problem with my skinned treo is resetting (drilled hole, fixed) and it doesn't fit in my waterproof pouch, I have to remove the skin to get it in.

However, I've been using the same skin for about 6 months, no rips or issues. I don't stretch it to remove it, I remove it from the bottom first, then pull it upwards. I wash it with regular hand soap about once a week or it starts getting wiggly on the phone. No excessive hot water, just a normal wash, dry, wipe the Treo down with some amonium-free Windex damped paper towel.
    I've just gotta ask (can't believe I haven't asked before) how my fellow Treo users can own such an expensive, somewhat delicate phone, without protecting it with a hard case.

A little leather or rubber may look pretty enough, but if it falls from, maybe three feet up, that's gonna really hurt your resale value if not ruin your phone.

Obviously, everyone's needs and preferences differ. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind - except, maybe my own.

So, how can you NOT have a hard protective case for your Treo?
    Answer: Full coverage insurance
    I dropped my GSM 650.. brand new condition... from a 5 and a half foot costco computer display shelf, FLAT onto the cement ground. It made the wierdest sound I've heard a chunk of plastic make and there were no scratches to the device at all. My guess is the flat impact evenly distrubuted the force and thankfully the impact force was not great enough to crack the bezel or the LCD.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's big enough as it is, i would never carry it if i had a hard case on it, even a soft leather case is too much. I carry it around on my belt in a seidio holster. The paint is chipping off, i've dropped it many times (concrete, hardwood, carpet, you name it), the antenna has gotten caught in doors and sent flying off my belt and it has survived everything with just some cosmetic damage. It's been nearly two years, and I don't really care about anything anymore as long as it works.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    O.k., I'm on my computer now. Here is the link:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=lanyard
    *turning... green... with envy!*
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ishtob View Post
    i bought mine off ebay! and easily fisxed the scratched screen and casing with some replacement parts, now it looks brand new... i use it with just the screen protector from Shieldzone
    Mighty cool. Kinda wish I had the balls to do that sorta thing, but when it comes to certain types of items, I'm tech-neutered.

Did you save a ton?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Hi, folks. I own both a 650 and a new 680. I took the 680 straight over to a ShieldZone and had them fit my 680 with a complete body covering. The advantages to this are:

1) Far more scratch-and-ding resistant
    2) More "grippy" in my hand = less likely to have it slip out like a bar of soap
    3) Still has that nekkid feel and slips easily into my leather horizontal belt case
    4) Should help with resale value

Hope this helps.... enjoy your Treoing!
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I knew that was even an option. Can I take a look at ShieldZone.com or...?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    I like mine naked, too. Yea, the paint's already chipping off the 5-way, and there are scratches around the screen (though not on the screen itself) owing to my habit of placing the phone screen down on my desk and such because the damn thing "rocks" if you place it with the screen up on any surface. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, I could not care less about the cosmetic stuff. As someone else mentioned, my Treo is a business tool to me. That said, I do use a screen protector. I wouldn't be able to tolerate scratches on the that.

Keep it in my left-front pants-pocket, screen toward my leg. Use kung-fu death grip when I'm using it. Should it crash to the floor one day and bust into pieces (and I have no doubt it one day will), I've got it insured.

Would add bulk and heft and otherwise compromise use one way or another if I added a case. Takes all sorts, I suppose. Just as some can't imagine not having a case, I can't imagine why people would purchase one.

That said, I have thought about getting one of those leather slim-sleeves to pop it in so I can keep coins or something else in my pocket. But it's got to slide out in a flash. Nothing that stays attached to the device.
    LOL @ "kung-fu death grip!"

Too funny. THAT's why you don't have any use for a hard case!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I used to use an Innoocket, but it was like talking into a tin can. Protective, but large, ugly, and hated feeling it against my face. Plus, I had a beard and it was always tugging at my whiskers!

Plus to type, I had to open the case.

Now I use a thin black skin (nothing over any key, just a strip across between 5-way and screen) and carry it in a Sedio horizontal case. The case keeps it secure on me, and the skin keeps it secure in my hand. My wifes naked Treo feels like a wet bar of soap when I'm using it... I'm afraid it's gonna pop out of my hand.

I have a stick-on skin I bought on much recommendation from this forum but never opened the packaging..

The only problem with my skinned treo is resetting (drilled hole, fixed) and it doesn't fit in my waterproof pouch, I have to remove the skin to get it in.

However, I've been using the same skin for about 6 months, no rips or issues. I don't stretch it to remove it, I remove it from the bottom first, then pull it upwards. I wash it with regular hand soap about once a week or it starts getting wiggly on the phone. No excessive hot water, just a normal wash, dry, wipe the Treo down with some amonium-free Windex damped paper towel.
    Neat.

I had/have Innopocket aluminum cases. I thought they looked great and they got a lot of compliments (people thought the case WAS the phone).

The main reasons I switched to the magnesium case was the TreoCentral store's sale and the aluminum case's inferior padding.

I'm pretty jealous of you folks who've figure out practical ways to run around nekkid... so to speak.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by question View Post
    I dropped my GSM 650.. brand new condition... from a 5 and a half foot costco computer display shelf, FLAT onto the cement ground. It made the wierdest sound I've heard a chunk of plastic make and there were no scratches to the device at all. My guess is the flat impact evenly distrubuted the force and thankfully the impact force was not great enough to crack the bezel or the LCD.
    Awesome!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by milkham View Post
    It's big enough as it is, i would never carry it if i had a hard case on it, even a soft leather case is too much. I carry it around on my belt in a seidio holster. The paint is chipping off, i've dropped it many times (concrete, hardwood, carpet, you name it), the antenna has gotten caught in doors and sent flying off my belt and it has survived everything with just some cosmetic damage. It's been nearly two years, and I don't really care about anything anymore as long as it works.
    Yeah. I could see passing that point of no return and just wanting it to work.

I'm not too bothered by the extra size and weight of a hardcase, since it's just on my belt.

I had a clamshell just before I fell in-love with the 650 and upgraded. It seemed like, as soon as my girlfriend and I got'em, they developed an incredible face-down attraction to the earth. No matter how careful we tried to be, they ended up hitting and sliding across the driveway.

That kinda left me scarred so I liked to keep my 650 wrapped up.
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I knew that was even an option. Can I take a look at ShieldZone.com or...?
    I believe you can find more info at Shieldzone.com (if memory serves me correctly). So far, I absolutely LOVE it. It doesn't add bulk so it fits easily in my belt case (horizontal) --- it seems to resist peeling off ... and even if it does, it's guaranteed, so they'll replace it if necessary. I am completely satisfied!
    Don't forget www.bestskinsever.com....you can get 3 or 4 sets for the price of the shieldzone and they're the identical material...just a different cut pattern.

This is all I use. Helps to have the Insurance with Sprint. Sure, there'a a deductible, but I've spent less on that than some people spend buying/trying different cases.

While the skins won't protect a fall, they at least help with scratches as I prefer the phone naked in my pocket...especially now with the Zoti antenna.

Is money an object? Sure...but I can't be bothered with the annoyances of a case for the sake of the "what if" scenarios...

Might as well cover the couch with plastic and put rubber bumpers all around my car while I'm at it too...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast