Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I'm planning to pick up a 2GB card shortly, and in an effort to future-proof myself somewhat I'd like to get a miniSD card, and use it in the 680 with the included SD adapter. Does anybody know if there are any issues with this? (size of the card, transfer speed, etc.)
    I use a 2GB microSD in an SD adapter with no problems whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune View Post
    I'm planning to pick up a 2GB card shortly, and in an effort to future-proof myself somewhat I'd like to get a miniSD card, and use it in the 680 with the included SD adapter. Does anybody know if there are any issues with this? (size of the card, transfer speed, etc.)

i think that would be a great idea being that you never know what medium of media the world may turn to. As we have the dual type cards i often suggest just going with the regular sd card, but if you get it for the sam price - go with the mini-sd with the sd card adapter.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    I'm using a 2GB mini-SD with the 680 and it works fine.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Can any of you make brand recommendations? I know the topic has been beat to death in other forums, but for those of you having success, I'd like to copy that.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Can any of you make brand recommendations? I know the topic has been beat to death in other forums, but for those of you having success, I'd like to copy that.
    Im using a kingston 2gb mini-sd /w adapter and never had any problem with it.
    I'm planning to pick up a 2GB card shortly, and in an effort to future-proof myself somewhat
    While that may seem like a good idea to you now, I don't think you're going to save yourself any money in the long run. Prices on these items are constantly dropping. And since mini-SD are more expensive than regular SD (for the same capacity), you'd probably just be better off purchasing a SD card now, and then next year when you get your next device, getting a mini-SD at that point. Because by then, the price on the mini-SD card you would get now will be much much lower, and there will be larger capacity cards available as well. Another thing to consider is whether to go with mini-SD or micro-SD. While Palm has not used micro-SD yet, I'm sure that is coming in the future.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    While that may seem like a good idea to you now, I don't think you're going to save yourself any money in the long run. Prices on these items are constantly dropping. And since mini-SD are more expensive than regular SD (for the same capacity), you'd probably just be better off purchasing a SD card now, and then next year when you get your next device, getting a mini-SD at that point. Because by then, the price on the mini-SD card you would get now will be much much lower, and there will be larger capacity cards available as well. Another thing to consider is whether to go with mini-SD or micro-SD. While Palm has not used micro-SD yet, I'm sure that is coming in the future.
    Those are very good points. Since I just got my 680, and I plan on holding onto it for awhile, 4 or even 8 GB may be the low end by the time I'm ready for the next device. So maybe you're right.

One other question concerning card speed. Is the 680 SD slot fast enough to take advantage of the extra speed offered by faster cards? I'm mainly looking for smoother video recording from the treo camera. (that's my only speed issue). Has anybody done any back to back comparisons with different card types?
    I've been using a SanDisk miniSD with adaptor for the past year and a half with no problems. Had the miniSD in the phone before my 650, then in my 700p now.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I use the "SanDisk 2GB Ultra II plus" SD card.
    The feature that I like is that it can plug directly into an SD slot, or directly into a USB slot, no adapter required. This makes it easy to transfer files while on the road without worrying about adapters, dongles, etc.

It kind of folds in the middle to expose the USB connector on the opposite end of the SD card connector. Very Handy
    I saw that... very cool. It was kinda pricey for me tho.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I compared two Sandisk MiniSD cards in my Treo 680 (with adapter).

The standard MiniSD 1 GB seems to be MUCH faster than the Ultra II 1 GB card. Tested when running BackupMan.

Does anyone of you have a reason why the standard card is faster, shouldn't be, right ?