Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The 650 was not, I don't care what anyone says. If you can accept that premise, how does the 680 compare?

Thanks.
    My 650 took alot of work to make stable.

680 took next to nothing. No more tap->reset. Press a button->reset. It may slow down for a bit but then you are right back going.

After getting all my apps updated etc no resets yet.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

The 680 is my first Treo. But I've heard many things about how previous iterations used to constantly reset. I've had this since Dec. 4 and I've only had a reset/crash twice. And that was due to me trying out programs that weren't fully compatible with the 680. I leave it on all the time.
    Had a 650 for over a year. reset several times a day, though I put it through its paces. The 680 is totally stable- it is an unbelievable contrast, most likely d/t additional memory and/or better memory management. It never crashes.
    was absolutely stable in my short time of ownership. it was as stable as the 700wx. the increased memory is most likely the reason.
    The 680 is, as much as PalmOS allows, totally rock solid compared even to the 650. Mind you, the 680 is a second-generation NVFS device so it naturally benefits from the pain experienced with the 650 release. Also, it /can/ still suffer from applications that misbehave. Most of the workhorse stuff is well debugged by now, so you're sure not to experience too many problems in this regard.

I've only had mine for a week, but I wasn't to this level of function and usability for a good 6 months after purchasing my 650. I definitely wouldn't warn anyone away from it.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My Treo 650 was pretty unstable till I worked on the ROM image and tweaked it heavily. Eventually, I got it to work pretty well, but the 680 is already siginificantly more stable and I didn't have to edit the ROM image to make it happen.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    my 680 has been so much more stable than my previous 600. the 600 could be sitting on the table next to me and would reset out of nowhere. I haven't had any problems lke this with my 680. the only resets i've had were from software that wasn't completely compatible
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    I've had a number of resets when hotsyncing and one spontaneous reset by itself. To be honest, I haven't done enough with it yet to give a final impression but I'm unimpressed so far.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    my 680 has been pretty much rock solid for me...

As much as I've tried I've never gotten my 650 to be able to run Ptunes, Good and TomTom at the same time (all memory hogs that reset when run together)...but the T680 does that fine (and more)
    more stable. easier email more memory. more apps loaded in rom. faster.

still have some crashes every day, but much less than with my 650.
    okay, i have to come to the defense of the 650. mine rarely crashed. RARELY.

It is still too early for the 680.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    the 680 is rock solid. far more solid then any treo i have ever owned and i have owned every model since the 180.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    okay, i have to come to the defense of the 650. mine rarely crashed. RARELY.

It is still too early for the 680.

Let me borrow your 650..I'll make it crash with several good off the shelf applications...the 650 clearly didnt have enough memory to be really good convergence device....the 680 added enough memory to solve that problem (and that's about all it really needed).

It's really not too early to tell the difference...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    1 reset in 3 weeks on the first day due to old legacy app. Updated the app and no resets since.

None. Nada. Not one. Zero. Zip.

Stable. Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog View Post
    Let me borrow your 650..I'll make it crash with several good off the shelf applications...the 650 clearly didnt have enough memory to be really good convergence device....the 680 added enough memory to solve that problem (and that's about all it really needed).

It's really not too early to tell the difference...
    oh please.

on a daily basis, I used verichat 24/7, snapper to check mail automatically, kinoma and ptunes, volume care and powerup every day. and in the end had intellisync get my work email "pushed" to me.

if the 650 crashed every couple of weeks it was a lot. And it was even rarer that it crashed on its own.

It still too early because I still havent loaded everything I had on my 650. like verichat and intellisync.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Hmm... lets see... Felipe has been on the boards since 1999 and has 3800+ posts. Davisdog has been on since 2005 and has 200+. Felipe has run several memory and resource hungry applications simultaneously on his 650 and reports that he rarely got resets. Davisdog claims he could crash the 650. I've been on the boards since 1999 also and ran quite a few apps on my 650.

I side with Felipe and suggest that Davisdog was likely running 3rd party applications known to crash on his 650. Best not to blame the device for that. (Although I stopped using Verichat for it's often crashes on my 650.)

...Felipe.. I have mostly everything back onto my 680 and it seems nice and solid.
    i do believe that most of the instability would have came from reason below on the 650 .

- incompatible sim card(cingular user)
    - incompatible software(all palm)
    - incompatible rom/firmware upgrade

now i have heard of the 680 being incompatible with some of t-mobiles sim card's where one of my employees have experienced a lock up and reset. But to our knowledge he has to go in and get another sim card from t-mobile

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    on a daily basis, I used verichat 24/7, snapper to check mail automatically, kinoma and ptunes, volume care and powerup every day. and in the end had intellisync get my work email "pushed" to me.
    Felipe,

I haven't loaded Verichat on my 680 yet. I had actually stopped using it awhile back because it had major problems with the version of Chatter that I was using at the time. Don't know if those issues got sorted out. Since I only use Chatter now for testing (I too use Intellisync for my corporate email syncing now ) I'm going to put Verichat back and see what happens!

I've only been using my 680 since Friday, but I've only had one crash - totally duplicable with some particular NPR podcast files, and pTunes wants me to send them the files to test with. Other than that, not one reset!

Danita
    680 is a lot better than my old 600 - crashes have happened occasionally but probably due to old software - my 600 reset many times daily.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast