Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Let me start by saying I tried the search function before the search nazis start to swarm.. Anyways, I could usually get two or three days off my battery.. Lately it seems to be over half gone each day without doing anything with it.. I noticed that the appointments line on the dial screen blinks.. (Really annoying in the phone app menus..) Any ideas on why it's doing this? And how to stop it? Sometimes it seems a warm reset fixes it, but not always.. I also noticed that the battery gets kinda warm..
    Last edited by temna; 12/11/2006 at 05:09 PM.
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    No one has any ideas?
    What other software are you using?
    Is it always connected to the phone network reliably? The battery consumption goes up if the phone is searching for network.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Seems to be decent connections.. It's just odd that when I have the "show calender events" box checked in the phone app, that line on the "desktop" blinks.. And I end up with half a battery gone in a couple of hours.. Did notice some random lighting up of the screen.. Just not sure how to check what apps might be loaded in the background..
    A software corruption can keep the phone active and thus drain the battery. You may need to do a clean install:

1. Hot sync to back up
    2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650
    3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back. Run this way for a day to see if the drain situation is cured.

Then start installing your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up.)

Install 3rd party software 1 a day to see if one in particular is causing the battery drain.

If this does not cure the problem -- a hardware issue may have developed, but I believe this will do the trick for you.

You should be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/14/2006 at 06:38 AM.
    Try a hard reset, followed by a hotsync giving your Treo a new name. This is for testing and will produce a clean "out of factory" condition Treo. Use it this way for a few days.

If the problem is still there, it's likely to be a hardware problem. If the problem goes away, it is being caused by some software you installed later.

To get back your Calendar, Tasks, Memos and Contacts, rename the Backup folder on the PC (under Palmone\<your ID> directory. Do a hard reset and select your original ID. You'll have a Treo with your PIM data but no 3rd party software. Install applications one by one to see what causes the problem to recur.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    What kind of life should we expect out of the battery? What about the seiko? my current battery, if I dont use ANYTHING on the phone *not even phone functions* I might be able to get 3 days. If Im heavy browsing or using the phone a lot, I can be dead in about 4-6 hours. Im a delivery driver so my calls usually dont last more than 30 seconds. I figure if I was to browse non stop, I would only get maybe 3-4 hours before I would be out of power. Of course because of these limitations, Im always conscience when Im browsing, not too use it too much, so I still have battery life to finish out the night.
    [unlocked/unbranded/internal antenna/no camera/gsm/treo650]
    [unlocked/unbranded/gsm/treo750]
    I will say this: My new battery (same type) lasts twice as long as my old one. Is it possible that your battery is worn out? By the way, shallow cycles are better for your battery than deep ones, so I would charge it every day, even if it is still at 75%.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    yeah, i charge my treo nightly simply because if i dont chances are i will die sometime during the next day. thing is, i bought it off of ebay. so i have no basis on how long a new battery should last.
    [unlocked/unbranded/internal antenna/no camera/gsm/treo650]
    [unlocked/unbranded/gsm/treo750]
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I charge my Treo every night (well, except for the occasional night I forget), but the odd thing is that this only started recently.. And I haven't installed anything new in months.. And it only happens when I have the calender events show up on the phone screen.. Then the events line blinks and the battery goes down to near empty by the time I get home.. And the battery gets very warm.. But since I unchecked that box, I'm "lucky" to drop a quarter of the battery even after some gaming and internet use (during the slow periods at work).. It just seems to me odd that the calender causes this..
    Quote Originally Posted by temna View Post
    I charge my Treo every night (well, except for the occasional night I forget), but the odd thing is that this only started recently.. And I haven't installed anything new in months.. And it only happens when I have the calender events show up on the phone screen.. Then the events line blinks and the battery goes down to near empty by the time I get home.. And the battery gets very warm.. But since I unchecked that box, I'm "lucky" to drop a quarter of the battery even after some gaming and internet use (during the slow periods at work).. It just seems to me odd that the calender causes this..

Hi,

My Treo 650 also got similar battery drain problem, the battery drop to about50% after 12hrs later after fully charged. Tried with a second Seidio Battery also behave the same. Initially my Treo 650 can last about 3~5 days but now after about 9 months usage the battery takes a dive.

I suspect there are some of these Treo 650 got some kind of circuit problem which drain the battery. I can't really confirm on this coz not much treo user feedback on this.

How is your now it is the same problem. ?
    Do you leave the data connection on all the time or leave BT active all the time? Either of those things will cause your Treo's battery to drain dramatically faster than the phone by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    Do you leave the data connection on all the time or leave BT active all the time? Either of those things will cause your Treo's battery to drain dramatically faster than the phone by itself.
    Bluetooth not so.. Unless it's actively connected to something. And data connection without actual data flowing really doesn't use much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Try a hard reset, followed by a hotsync giving your Treo a new name. This is for testing and will produce a clean "out of factory" condition Treo. Use it this way for a few days.

If the problem is still there, it's likely to be a hardware problem. If the problem goes away, it is being caused by some software you installed later.

To get back your Calendar, Tasks, Memos and Contacts, rename the Backup folder on the PC (under Palmone\<your ID> directory. Do a hard reset and select your original ID. You'll have a Treo with your PIM data but no 3rd party software. Install applications one by one to see what causes the problem to recur.
    yep agreed perfect, try it..
    Hi,

My Treo 650 did not turn on any stuff like; Bluetooth, IR, or any data connection. It even drain the battery when turn off the phone fuction.

These two days found my Treo 650 is "warm" after taking out from the Shayrer waist pouch after leaving it on my desk for some times. Check the battery, the battery also felt is "warm". Which i believed my Treo 650 having some kind of circuitity problem; such as the PCB did not cut off the circuit totally or the LCD is draining the battery.
    Temna, I'm not really sure why it's doing that, but my appointments line in the Phone app also blinks really fast / flashes. That said, my battery is in good shape (I think), given how "old" it is. I've been using my T650 regularly for almost 2 years and my battery life has gone down but ever so slowly. I can still get in 2 days of phone/internet/game/ebook usage without needing to charge, though I do every night, forgetting every now and then.

Point being, I'm not sure why it does that flashing thing, but everything else seems to work just fine!

Oh, my T650 just about only resets when I use Handmark's Express.

Hope that helps.