1.    #1  
    well i've been testing windows mobile and exchange direct push and i must say its been working great. no 3rd party software to install, etc and i get all my emails pushed to me, calendars, tasks, contacts... and get this, i can even attach stuff to my emails

goodlink is good except for one thing. it can't send attachments. someone said that it can forward an attachment intact (i forget if is true or not) so i'm not sure why it can't send a attachment from scratch. the OTA installation of software is nice, but i did that maybe once. in this day and age, all my administrators are creating, sending, reading, modifying attachments all the time and to not have that ability on your mobile device is unacceptable. at least i can eliminate one more server to manage, and also all the yearly maintenance costs for GL.

one good thing about GL is that its supported on devices like the treo palm, and non windows mobile 5 without the microsoft security pack installed. we're fairly small so upgrading everyone to wm5 devices won't be a big of a problem like most larger companies. the upgraded cost of the devices will pay itself off with savings in server costs and maintenance costs.
    Sorry to see you go. We will have attachments midway next year. As for the statement that updating new devices is cheaper than maintenance and server costs, then you must be getting devices for less than $100 since support and maintenace is $360 a year and $19 per device. So, for a 10 user installtion, you are looking at $55 per user per year. If your refresh rate on devices is two years, you are paying $110 per user for two years. As for hardware costs, the minimum specs for a box to run GMM on is a Pentium 3 and it doesn't have to be a dedicated box. So, those costs are minimal.

Remember, you will also be giving up:

Fleet Management
    Guaranteed message delivery
    Push of third-party applications
    Push update of the actual application
    Enhanced security
    A managed service

But you will be allowing:
    End-users determining whether or not to use SSL
    Forced Exchange upgrade for additional features (see http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml)
    Forced single source for operating system and application. Throw a device in there and you may as well have Blackberry.

All smart a** comments aside, I can see where smaller installations may see the benefit of EAS right now, however, adding in the soft costs that you will inevitably incur with a MSFT solution, I wish you would rethink things. What devices are you using? What kind of battery life have you seen on those devices vs. those same ones with GMM?
  3.    #3  
    ok, i didn't know what the annual maintenance costs were. i've been trying to find out for several months now and i haven't heard back from anyone at good. my original sales guy (which i don't want to post his name), i've emailed several times, he never got back to me. in fact, once the sales was complete, he never returned one email. i called the sales line, and everytime i call, no one answers and i am thrown to voicemail. i left messages, no one has called back yet.

anyway, nice to know that its $360 a year, and $19 per device. when i first bought good, i thought i heard it was higher than that. and i thought you had to purchase "per device" license in lots of 5? so if i have 12 users, i had to purchase 15 licenses. maybe i heard wrong, or your pricing point changed.
    your minimum specs on a box is fine, but you fail to mention the time and cost to maintain that box (server management, applying patches, backing up, upgrading good server software, etc). this is in addition to maintaining a exchange server. and i was originally told not to install good on the exchange server itself, and i tend to try and run dedicated boxes for different apps, because when one app goes down, i don't want it affecting everything else on that server. this is speaking from an IT support person's point of view.

push of 3rd party apps isn't a big deal. i haven't done any. i rather have them run vanilla because good takes up so much memory as it is, i discourage them to not install too many other apps if at all.

like i said, i am small right now so maybe moving to microsoft's direct push isn't a big deal for me. my users on good are all running treo 650's right now. i am the only one with a wm5 device for testing purposes and battery life is comparable. for me personally, the only time i turn on the goodlink part on my treo is on weekends and when i am away from my desk. when i am at my desk, i don't see the need to be continually syncing. and thats my other gripe. if i don't turn on GL for a week, when i do turn it on, it starts syncing everything from a week ago. so you see these messages flying across my treo ... new message, new message new message, delete delete delete, new message, delete...etc... so it could take a while to get it fully sync'd. but like i said, thats just me. everyone else are usually on the road so i guess they leave their treo's GL always on. whereas i can configure activesync more to sync as item arrives, every 5 minutes, every 30 minutes and different sync times for peak and off peak. AND... it won't play "catch up" if i have activesync turned off or in manual mode. just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to play around with a wm5 device and exchange server's direct push? or are you coming strictly from good's perspective?

all this time you've been saying you have attachment sending on your roadmap but couldn't commit to anything certain. and you've been saying that for over a year, nearly 2. so now are you telling me that attachments in GL mid-next year for sure? if that is indeed true, then i will re-think this as my GL expires next october i think.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Sorry to see you go. We will have attachments midway next year. As for the statement that updating new devices is cheaper than maintenance and server costs, then you must be getting devices for less than $100 since support and maintenace is $360 a year and $19 per device. So, for a 10 user installtion, you are looking at $55 per user per year. If your refresh rate on devices is two years, you are paying $110 per user for two years. As for hardware costs, the minimum specs for a box to run GMM on is a Pentium 3 and it doesn't have to be a dedicated box. So, those costs are minimal.

Remember, you will also be giving up:

Fleet Management
    Guaranteed message delivery
    Push of third-party applications
    Push update of the actual application
    Enhanced security
    A managed service

But you will be allowing:
    End-users determining whether or not to use SSL
    Forced Exchange upgrade for additional features (see http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml)
    Forced single source for operating system and application. Throw a device in there and you may as well have Blackberry.

All smart a** comments aside, I can see where smaller installations may see the benefit of EAS right now, however, adding in the soft costs that you will inevitably incur with a MSFT solution, I wish you would rethink things. What devices are you using? What kind of battery life have you seen on those devices vs. those same ones with GMM?
    Couple of things regarding pricing:

The license costs are one-time client access licenses: $99 for a single then reduced as you buy packs of licenses. Once you purchase the license, you have it forever. No renewal. Then you get a the Good Data Plan from your carrier. That price varies depending on carrier.

As for the server. You do not have to have a dedicated box for Good. If you have an application server running Server 2K or 2K3, you can run Good on it. The maintenance of that box, be it patches, etc., is part of the OS. As for Good updates, you don't HAVE to apply them and that process is very simple and very quick. I see your point regarding dedicated boxes, though. However, imagine anytime there is an upgrade for your mobile users, you have to cradle all those devices to update on top of the Exchange upgrade/patch.

Now, regarding ActiveSync not catching up. Good is designed to be a 'mirror image' of Outlook. The deleted in deleted, sent in sent, etc. So, if you delete an email in Outlook, it deletes in GMM. Hence, when you are out of coverage, when you come back in, it does catch up. That is a feature. Sure, new message, new message, delete, delete, etc does happen, but that is because GMM is a direct reflection of Exchange. We guarantee message delivery and one of the by-products is that 'catch-up'.

I have, actually, had WM5 devices (700W and Moto Q) and run ActiveSync. Did not like it all. No reply and fwd indicators, kludgy interface. Just didn't like it. Granted, I am biased towards Palm so the fact that I think the OS is kludgy probably had alot to do with my overall satisfaction level.

As for future updates, I am not committing to anything I am not in our development group, though I have seen a roadmap and attachments, category support, scheduled sync and other features are there. Targetted time frame is early third quarter, but obviously that can slip.
  5.    #5  
    that is true that i don't have to cradle the devices whenever i need to upgrade users. but if there's a windows mobile OS upgrade or patch, i don't think goodlink can push out a firmware upgrade. so you would need to cradle it anyway correct? pushing out software only works for 3rd party software or the goodlink software, but firmware updates still need to be cradled.

not sure how "catching up" guarantee's message delivery. sometimes the messages flash so quickly on my screen and in bunches that i can't tell that a message appears on my treo, then disappears because i deleted it. i guess gmm is a direct reflection of exchange from the last time i sync'd till present. i just want it to be a direct reflection of exchange right at this very moment.

ahhh ok, i guess nothing is guaranteed as like you said things may slip. well, the attachment issue has been on the table for well over a year now. so we'll see come 3rd quarter 2007.

by the way, whats up with your sales group at good? i've sent an email 4 or 5 times to sales@good.com... i have gotten NOT ONE response! and then the couple of times i tried to call, i get thrown to voicemail because no one was available. didn't even have an option to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Couple of things regarding pricing:

The license costs are one-time client access licenses: $99 for a single then reduced as you buy packs of licenses. Once you purchase the license, you have it forever. No renewal. Then you get a the Good Data Plan from your carrier. That price varies depending on carrier.

As for the server. You do not have to have a dedicated box for Good. If you have an application server running Server 2K or 2K3, you can run Good on it. The maintenance of that box, be it patches, etc., is part of the OS. As for Good updates, you don't HAVE to apply them and that process is very simple and very quick. I see your point regarding dedicated boxes, though. However, imagine anytime there is an upgrade for your mobile users, you have to cradle all those devices to update on top of the Exchange upgrade/patch.

Now, regarding ActiveSync not catching up. Good is designed to be a 'mirror image' of Outlook. The deleted in deleted, sent in sent, etc. So, if you delete an email in Outlook, it deletes in GMM. Hence, when you are out of coverage, when you come back in, it does catch up. That is a feature. Sure, new message, new message, delete, delete, etc does happen, but that is because GMM is a direct reflection of Exchange. We guarantee message delivery and one of the by-products is that 'catch-up'.

I have, actually, had WM5 devices (700W and Moto Q) and run ActiveSync. Did not like it all. No reply and fwd indicators, kludgy interface. Just didn't like it. Granted, I am biased towards Palm so the fact that I think the OS is kludgy probably had alot to do with my overall satisfaction level.

As for future updates, I am not committing to anything I am not in our development group, though I have seen a roadmap and attachments, category support, scheduled sync and other features are there. Targetted time frame is early third quarter, but obviously that can slip.
    The catch up issue for guaranteed delivery is that we don't consider a message delivered until it hit the device. The device then sends the receipt back to the GMM server. That is why you see them come and go so quickly. It is a direct reflection of Exchange, so once that traffic is acknowledged, everything is set.

Regarding WM upgrades, we have the ability to create SD image cards that you can use to update the ROM. Almost like a ghost image for PC's, you can create the image, put it on SD card, send it out and when the update is complete, the SD card is automatically erased.

Regarding your email, can you PM me your information as that concerns me. Those emails are distributed to the appropriate rep within 24 hours of receipt and I want to follow up.