1.    #1  
    Gotta love this. TomTom's advance support folks are blaming Palm for the 680's inability to run TT6. Although they offered no insight as to why TT5 runs on thr 680 just fine. Of course, when the tech was wrapping up the call with mehe said, "...we'll be getting a 680 in house soon" - I pretty much confirmed what I had suspected all along....that TomTom didn't have the foresight nor did they give a rats a$$ enough about existing TT6 customers to make sure things ran OK. Again, if Chatteremail can get a phone in advance and make sure his app works seamlessly, why couldn't TomTom?
    Sucks. They'll most likely release a patch sooner or later.
    and you can't expect them to have updates for every new phone out there the week they are released.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Considering that the phone has been out in engineering samples for months now, yes it is reasonable to expect a patch the first week.
    It's partly Palm's fault. If Palm hand out moneyhat to make TomTom6 Palm exclusive (for a couple of weeks at least), then at least Palm should make sure their poster child of a developer gets the new hardware to ensure competibility.

Look at Palm's website, they don't really co-brand anything else, except vaja case when it was cool. So it's no excuse for Palm to break the competibility without testing it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    Considering that the phone has been out in engineering samples for months now, yes it is reasonable to expect a patch the first week.
    Exactly. Little Chatteremail managed to get a phone early but TomTom couldn't be bothered.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It's partly Palm's fault. If Palm hand out moneyhat to make TomTom6 Palm exclusive (for a couple of weeks at least), then at least Palm should make sure their poster child of a developer gets the new hardware to ensure competibility.

Look at Palm's website, they don't really co-brand anything else, except vaja case when it was cool. So it's no excuse for Palm to break the competibility without testing it.
    Well you make an interesting point. Albeit, Palm's web store team probably don't have much interaction with the 680 developers so this is probably why it isn't working day one. But somebody assumed...TomTom, Palm web store, whatever....bottom line is the app doesn't work and it is supposed to be one of the premier apps for this phone. Sure, in the perfect world Palm would have tested more popular apps like this one. But the ultimate responsibility lies with TomTom since its their app.

If I knew TomTom would have a patch within a couple of weeks I'd be OK. But anybody that has been a TomTom customer for a couple of years could also attest to their woeful ineptness and fixing, updating, and providing logical upgrades paths for their customers in a timely manner.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    TomTom restricted the devices that work with version 6. I bought the co-branded version 6 at the palm store. I'm pretty sure it was back in the summer when I bought it. They would not have known about the T680 at that time unless they were part of the 3rd party development team.

I'm not sure if their software looks for specific deviceID, S/N range or both, but if that is the only tweak they need to get the software to install on a T680 it would take them literally 10 minutes to fix it.