Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If I purchase a locked Treo 680, can I get it unlocked as easy as purchasing an unlock code for @ $15 like I did with my 650 when I bought it?
    depends on the price of rice... seriously! It may be that rice has gone up as a result of the US and other countries turning to grains for ethanol production to become less oil-dependent...

That of course due to the invasion of Iraq has been a stickler as OPEC has been slowly turning the screws even as the US tries to get new oil supplies from the transformed and "free" Iraq and burning even more oil in th fight vs terror (hence the greater need for alternative fuel to save the world)...

so as grain prices increase farmers find it harder to not only find grain but to buy it for feed for livestock esp.chickens. ..

And we know EVERYBODy eats chicken - so rice goes up, so does feed and chicken goes up next...

So ask yourself - is that guy who sells the unlock codes eating chicken or fish? Cuz if it's chicken you can bet your bottom dollar you'll be paying more than $15 for that code!!

..of course you may have wanted a much more simple answer - I'm not sure but probably you could buy it on eBay soon?!
    if you've been a long time cingular user they can probably just unlock it for you and if not, just use it for 3 months and they will give you the code free anyway.

If neither of those things works for you and you need have it unlocked immediately then it means your leaving the country or changing services. In this case why would you want to be stuck with a 2 year contract costing you at least $70/month that your not using to save a lousy $200 bucks?
    Buy the unlocked from Palm. WAY better deal IMO! For $400 plus shipping, you get the phone of your choice, UNLOCKED, and no strangling Cingular contract.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    but I can get the 680 for $49.99 after rebates as an exisiting Cingular customer and that is a tempting deal.(I have my treo 650 on T-mobile, no contract, and another phone on Cingular)
    However, someone at Cingular is telling me the 750 is coming before Christmas, so I may just wait.
  6.    #6  
    although I agree.....it is always easier to spend a bit more and go through Palm and avoid the crap.
  7. DTS
    Can someone just answer the question on whether or not one can buy an unlock code that works for the 680, without being a pushy & annoying salesman trying to talk him/her into buying a Palm branded phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Can someone just answer the question on whether or not one can buy an unlock code that works for the 680, without being a pushy & annoying salesman trying to talk him/her into buying a Palm branded phone?
    Yes you can.

www.gsmphonesource.com
    I don't understand if he's getting the great deal for being a longtime cingular customer, why he doesn't just call and ask for the code from them. It's free. Why waste time with the rest of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I don't understand if he's getting the great deal for being a longtime cingular customer, why he doesn't just call and ask for the code from them. It's free. Why waste time with the rest of it?
    This is exactly what I did. I had to wait 3 months with my 650, but I will be traveling out of the country in January, and Cingular has already unlocked my 680 for no charge!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    FWIW, I have been a long time Cingular customer. I just upgraded from a T650 to a T680. I called 866-CINGULAR and pressed 0 for the operator, then the choice for phone/device support [I think 2]. I got a tech on the phone who asked for my IMEI number, and in about 30 seconds she gave me my SIM subsidy unlock code [8 digits]. I still need to do the test with a 'foreign' SIM [since you will always get the same 'success' message with a bad code]. Piece of cake. YMMV.
    Nobody cares about the price of rice then?! It affects you all more than you know! Soon there'll be no more Treos as ppl use all their income for rice cakes..the end is near!!!
    Didn't that new law go into effect where the carriers have to unlock a phone for you if you request it?
    The law doesn't say they have to provide the code--it just says it isn't illegal for us to get phones unlocked.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmfjunkie View Post
    gsmphonesource just sent me an unlock code and it did not work. But they sent me instructions for a 650 and they clearly haven't had much experience with the new 680 phone app as the instructions did not match up well at all. In any event I have written them asking them to let me do it with a cable or just refund me and I'll use gsmliberty again.

BTW - I don't want to contact Cingular because my phone on my account is a z525a and I have MediaMAX. I am worried that calling about the 680 will cause me to have to switch to unlimited PDA.
    GSM LIberty wants $40 to give you unlock codes based on your IMEI.

http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/cingu...ck-p-1361.html
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Someone should make available the program that generates those unlock codes as they've done with many other model phones like Nokia and Samsung. That's really all it is. A program that converts the IMEI number using an algorithm into the unlock code. The trick is knowing the algorithm, but obviously some people out there already know it as the unlock codes are available from Cingular or from private sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin View Post
    FWIW, I have been a long time Cingular customer. I just upgraded from a T650 to a T680. I called 866-CINGULAR and pressed 0 for the operator, then the choice for phone/device support [I think 2]. I got a tech on the phone who asked for my IMEI number, and in about 30 seconds she gave me my SIM subsidy unlock code [8 digits]. I still need to do the test with a 'foreign' SIM [since you will always get the same 'success' message with a bad code]. Piece of cake. YMMV.
    What do you do w/ the 8 digit code once you get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    gsmphonesource just sent me an unlock code and it did not work. But they sent me instructions for a 650 and they clearly haven't had much experience with the new 680 phone app as the instructions did not match up well at all. In any event I have written them asking them to let me do it with a cable or just refund me and I'll use gsmliberty again.

BTW - I don't want to contact Cingular because my phone on my account is a z525a and I have MediaMAX. I am worried that calling about the 680 will cause me to have to switch to unlimited PDA.
    My unlock codes work just fine, but from day 1 I have been giving the treo 600 / 650 instructions and everything has been fine. I will follow up on this and do the procedure myself if necessary because not everyone is having success using the old method
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    What do you do w/ the 8 digit code once you get it?
    *#*#Unlock Code#
    Then "Dial" button.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast