Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My phone is now unlocked. Thanks to Alan at gsmphonesource. There were two things that may have complicated my situation:

1. I had Chatteremail set to autostart, turn the radio on, and connect to the network. I disabled that feature.

2. I used a SIM that requires a PIN (one of those world phone SIMs). Even after putting in the PIN nothing would work right.

So I put in an old T-Mobile SIM again and this time it was a piece of cake - I only had to type in the code as described above and hit the dial button. Once it was unlocked I put in that world SIM back in and typed in the PIN and it lets me connect and all is working well now.
    I know this is after the fact but since they sold you the phone don't they already know you have the phone.

If they asked, I would have simply said this is my travel phone but at home I use "old phone" because of size or something to that effect. Reasonable and unarguable and I doubt they care. This is precisely the reason we use GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I know this is after the fact but since they sold you the phone don't they already know you have the phone.

If they asked, I would have simply said this is my travel phone but at home I use "old phone" because of size or something to that effect. Reasonable and unarguable and I doubt they care. This is precisely the reason we use GSM.
    Understood. It was a risk/reward decision. Get busted and end up paying for PDA unlimited and it would have cost me a lot more than $35 v.s. a free unlock if they don't notice. Seems like $35 was the prudent route in my situation.

But yea, you're right, they shouldn't be able to lock them at all IMO. I'm OK with locking me into a contract to subsidize the phone, but I ought to be able to use the equipment on other networks and not be forced to use their outrageous roaming when I go overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    My phone is now unlocked. Thanks to Alan at gsmphonesource. There were two things that may have complicated my situation:

1. I had Chatteremail set to autostart, turn the radio on, and connect to the network. I disabled that feature.

2. I used a SIM that requires a PIN (one of those world phone SIMs). Even after putting in the PIN nothing would work right.

So I put in an old T-Mobile SIM again and this time it was a piece of cake - I only had to type in the code as described above and hit the dial button. Once it was unlocked I put in that world SIM back in and typed in the PIN and it lets me connect and all is working well now.

Ok...so i was able to get the subsidy unlock code from Cingular. The tech then gave me the same instruction to unlock for the 650 (*#*#code#) and told me that it should work for the 680. Well, it didn't. I called back and was told to contact Palm directly. Any idea what to do? Otherwise i'd have to call Palm in the morning and will report back.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin View Post
    I got a tech on the phone who asked for my IMEI number, and in about 30 seconds she gave me my SIM subsidy unlock code [8 digits]. I still need to do the test with a 'foreign' SIM [since you will always get the same 'success' message with a bad code]. Piece of cake. YMMV.
    I've been a long time Cingular customer and have had 5 phones unlocked in the past and have never been given the code in 30 seconds. It's always taken them 5 days, and they either emailed it to me and I have had to call them to get the code. So I would say you are very lucky.

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by treowolf View Post
    Ok...so i was able to get the subsidy unlock code from Cingular. The tech then gave me the same instruction to unlock for the 650 (*#*#code#) and told me that it should work for the 680. Well, it didn't. I called back and was told to contact Palm directly. Any idea what to do? Otherwise i'd have to call Palm in the morning and will report back.

Thanks!
    Try this

1.- Insert a non Cingular SIM card into phone.
    2.- Wait until the phone boots completely and turn on the handset by pressing the Red button for 2 seconds. It will say "SIM Card not Allowed" or something like that.
    3.- Input *#*#CODE# and press the Green dial button. CODE is the 8 digit unlock code you were sent. It should say something like "SIM lock has been removed from this handset". Your phone is unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post

You are very welcome , but it is Adam

Also wanted to mention that I have extended the $5.00 off coupon for Treo 680 unlocking until 1/1/07 . When you order from www.gsmphonesource.com use coupon "treo680" to get your discount
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmphonesource View Post
    Try this

1.- Insert a non Cingular SIM card into phone.
    2.- Wait until the phone boots completely and turn on the handset by pressing the Red button for 2 seconds. It will say "SIM Card not Allowed" or something like that.
    3.- Input *#*#CODE# and press the Green dial button. CODE is the 8 digit unlock code you were sent. It should say something like "SIM lock has been removed from this handset". Your phone is unlocked.
    That did it! Thanks, Adam
    Once the code has been applied and you get the message. Is there anyplace that identifies the phone as being unlocked?
    Not really. You pretty much just have to try non-Cng sims.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I want to unlock my sprint treo 755p to use with verizon. Sprint says that it is impossible. Does anyone have the unlock code for me to transfer over? thanks in advance
    It's possible, but really not easy. There used to be a way with older Treos, but I haven't seen much lately. It's not just a matter of an unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    It's possible, but really not easy. There used to be a way with older Treos, but I haven't seen much lately. It's not just a matter of an unlock code.
    Can you elaborate on that. I have a 700w for Verizon that a friend would like to use for sprint and he's looking to unlock it.
    I've just called AT&T, and they refused to activate my treo680 which I just bought from ebay, and wanted to upgrade my old plan and whole 9 yards.... and new SIM cards....etc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12