1.    #1  
    The antennae broke off of my 650, so I went to a Sprint service store. The tech told me he couldn't replace the phone because he didn't find manufacturer defects. He then told me to call Lock/Line. I did. I was told, "Congatulations! Our policy is to replace the 650 with the 700P. Pay a $50 deductible and we'll send it to you along with a return envelope for the 650." I asked if I could please be sent a 650 because I've heard nothing good about the 700P. I was told that they no longer have 650's to give out.
    Regardless, that was last Saturday (nine days ago). On the following Wednesday the 700P arrived along with the postage paid return shipping envelope for the 650. I must say that having used the 700 now for almost a week that aside for a faster data speed, the phone is a piece of krap. Compared to the 650, the 700P is FAR slower in every way, the camera produces worse pics, my HBH660 BT earphone which sounded great on the 650 is a staticy mess that I can not use, and ZLauncher takes a disgustingly long time to launch apps from the SD card even though I'm using a 1gb SanDisk Extreme III.
    In summary, $50 is way too much to pay for such a quantum leap backward.
    OUCH, that's pretty harsh. I have a 650 with Cingular and a 700p with sprint. I have been using the 700p for about a month now and I have not had any real problems so far. Yes, the phone will stall a bit while scrolling through the menu but there is nothing you can do with that one until an updated ROM becomes available from Palm!!! I like the 700p.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Hopefully Palm will come out with a firmware patch that improves things on the 700p
    garinballbarin
    Yeah, there are a TON of people waiting for that first update. It does not bother me too much since I really only use GoodLink on the phone. From time to time, I will jump on the Web to look something up if needed.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kohnvize View Post
    TI must say that having used the 700 now for almost a week that aside for a faster data speed, the phone is a piece of krap. Compared to the 650, the 700P is FAR slower in every way, the camera produces worse pics, my HBH660 BT earphone which sounded great on the 650 is a staticy mess that I can not use, and ZLauncher takes a disgustingly long time to launch apps from the SD card even though I'm using a 1gb SanDisk Extreme III.
    I know how you feel. When the 650 came out it was a complete disaster - took Palm about half a year to finally get it close to as operable as the 600 (minus about 10% RAM). Had to return the 3 I bought and stay with the 600 until they finally released a "good enough" firmware. Palm seems to have no qualms about releasing devices that remain in beta for half the warranty period. But they did briefly offer a free 1GB SD card to those who cared.I must say that for all it's problems (worse camera, BT disconnects, deathly-long lag times esp loading Blazer, wacked-out button layout), the 700p is a major improvement over the 650 just for having enough RAM to function and EVDO. Learn the art of "700p zen:" waiting on the lags when they come, forget the camera for anything but getting in trouble at secure locations, and hitting the wrong button for power months on end. Eventually you'll find the 700p worth the $50 and more.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The antennae broke off of my 650, so I went to a Sprint service store. The tech told me he couldn't replace the phone because he didn't find manufacturer defects. He then told me to call Lock/Line. I did. I was told, "Congatulations! Our policy is to replace the 650 with the 700P. Pay a $50 deductible and we'll send it to you along with a return envelope for the 650." I asked if I could please be sent a 650 because I've heard nothing good about the 700P. I was told that they no longer have 650's to give out.
    Regardless, that was last Saturday (nine days ago). On the following Wednesday the 700P arrived along with the postage paid return shipping envelope for the 650. I must say that having used the 700 now for almost a week that aside for a faster data speed, the phone is a piece of krap. Compared to the 650, the 700P is FAR slower in every way, the camera produces worse pics, my HBH660 BT earphone which sounded great on the 650 is a staticy mess that I can not use, and ZLauncher takes a disgustingly long time to launch apps from the SD card even though I'm using a 1gb SanDisk Extreme III.

I don't agree. The 700p now is just as 'krap' as the 650 was when it first launched. The were lots of 'krap' to be said about the 650 then, even in comparison to the 600.
    Obviously you've benefitted from updates and bug fixes over the years that the 650 has been around and matured. There hasn't even been a first update or bug fix yet for the 700p, so your assesment, at least in comparison to the 650 in terms of 'krap' is still premature.
    If you need a 650 that bad, you can buy one off eBay or craigslist and then sell the 700p.
    Personally, I prefer the 700p right now in comparison to how bad the 650 was this time in Dec 2004, when I had got one. (650, Constant resests, and I mean all the time, Blazer crashing like it was on crack, NVFS took some time to sort itself out/memory issues, no DUN out-the-box but a certain Shadowmite took care of that initially, Blazer's 2mb download limit, and so forth). Time has certainly dulled our recollections of the 650's initial woes.
    If and when the updates for the 700p do come out, most of the problems will be addressed (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
    which insurance provider is lock/line? i looked at the info on my account at sprint.com and the equipment replacement plan is provided by: "Equipment Replacement Program is underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company (CNA), and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC (Asurion Protection Services Insurance Agency)"

is this the same outfit?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by collin View Post
    which insurance provider is lock/line? i looked at the info on my account at sprint.com and the equipment replacement plan is provided by: "Equipment Replacement Program is underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company (CNA), and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC (Asurion Protection Services Insurance Agency)"

is this the same outfit?
    Asurion is lock/line. They merged back in Jan.
    kohnvize:

I have a like new Sprint 650 that I'll trade for your 700. No scratches, never dropped, not a refurb, pristine screen, box and all original equipment included.

I already have one 700 and wouldn't mind having another as a backup...

email me if you're interested
    How did you "load up" your 700? Did you simply hotsync it to your existing backup from the 650? If so, that's at least part of your problem. Hard reset, rename your backup directory on the PC, and then hotsync. That'll get you all your PIM data back. Then install apps 1 by 1. Make sure you've got the latest version of each, as many have been updated for the 700.

Q2: Do you use VersaMail? If so, seriously consider another mail program. VM is a piece of c**p, and even worse on the 700 than on the 650. People who have gotten rid of the files it creates when you first open it, and not used it again, report major reductions in lag.

I use SnapperMail, did clean installs of all my apps (and replaced some that didn't work well on the 700) and I'm very happy with my 700P. It's marginally slower than the 650, and I see occasional lags, but nothing terrible.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I don't agree. The 700p now is just as 'krap' as the 650 was when it first launched. The were lots of 'krap' to be said about the 650 then, even in comparison to the 600.
    Obviously you've benefitted from updates and bug fixes over the years that the 650 has been around and matured. There hasn't even been a first update or bug fix yet for the 700p, so your assesment, at least in comparison to the 650 in terms of 'krap' is still premature.
    If you need a 650 that bad, you can buy one off eBay or craigslist and then sell the 700p.
    Personally, I prefer the 700p right now in comparison to how bad the 650 was this time in Dec 2004, when I had got one. (650, Constant resests, and I mean all the time, Blazer crashing like it was on crack, NVFS took some time to sort itself out/memory issues, no DUN out-the-box but a certain Shadowmite took care of that initially, Blazer's 2mb download limit, and so forth). Time has certainly dulled our recollections of the 650's initial woes.
    If and when the updates for the 700p do come out, most of the problems will be addressed (hopefully).
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got the VZW 650 when it first came out and it took Palm till the 4th firmware release to fix the reset problems. It would reset when you would do just about anything, make a call, take a call, hang up a call, switch to calendar, just sitting there, etc, etc. At least the 700P, short of launching Versamail, is pretty stable and works fine assuming you don't do any heavy duty memory intensive things. But even then, the device seems to handle its own. A firmware update is very needed though, since the BT is crap and the Versamail lag problem is real bad. I refuse to pay for a simple email client when I already paid for one with the 700. I hope the future update fixes at least some of the problems, especially Versamail and BT.
    btw, Lockline is replacing my 600 with a new in box 650, if anyone is curious. Although I am going to move forward with a 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
    btw, Lockline is replacing my 600 with a new in box 650, if anyone is curious. Although I am going to move forward with a 700p
    Do you have to have sprint insurance to have lockline do a replacement?

on the 600->650 do they charge a deductible?

I'd sure like to get away from my sprint 600 but do NOT want a 700(yet)

I thought I had a Cing650 Bought to try out their service on that phone but the person(a TC user) never got back to me
    Last edited by windwalker; 12/12/2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Do everything you wanna do in life, if it's something you'll regret in the morning...Sleep Late!
  14.    #14  
    I do remember the 650 issues; that is why it is so hard to put up with a whole new set of them and another long wait for them to be resolved in the 700. Not for nothing, but I don't recall the first firmware update taking more than six months from product launch of the 650.
    This phone needs to be a tool for me. A good tool is one that you can just use without having to worry about. This phone is anything but worry-free.
    Thanks for the offer to trade the phone with your 650, I was given what I believe is a refurb 700: No software, manuals, etc. Just a small white cardboard box. Since the thing reboots itself a minimum of four times a day, I'm attempting to get it replaced by Sprint with a 650.
    I have not yet done a hotsync with this phone. I installed Chatter+, and have restored my contacts via a backup from an SD card.
    Thanks for commissurating.
    sounds more like you were going to bash it anyways from what you said. if you dont like it sell it on ebay or swap it with someone who knows a good phone when they use it
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I do not know why you all were told about having to get a 700P with the warranty repair. I have a 650 and went into the service store the other day as my SD card reader was no longer working. They are sending me a new in-box 650 as I do have insurance. I was not even given the option of an "upgrade to the 700p". They just told me that that was what I was getting. I live in Florida, so maybe different warehouses have different phones still???... Let me know what you all think about that.
    I do remember the 650 issues; that is why it is so hard to put up with a whole new set of them and another long wait for them to be resolved in the 700. Not for nothing, but I don't recall the first firmware update taking more than six months from product launch of the 650.
    Yeah, it was about 6 months and several firmware attempts before the 650 was usable other than as eye candy, and then still only 90% of the RAM for what it "replaced."

In another thread Palm is claiming late in Q1 they'll finally have a firmware fix for some of the 700p issues, and that's about 9 months from release without a fix (assuming the fix is released to *us* then, not just to the Carriers for testing). I'm not happy that by the time they *might* get BT fixed my Palm headsets will be out of warranty, but I've resigned myself to the 700p being a "wired-mandatory" device. They say the lag may never get fixed, we just live with it I guess. The 700p is worth the upgrade for 2 reasons: EVDO and RAM. Win some, lose some I guess.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmd View Post
    I was not even given the option of an "upgrade to the 700p". They just told me that that was what I was getting. I live in Florida, so maybe different warehouses have different phones still???... Let me know what you all think about that.
    People are reporting both experiences - 700p upgrades and 650 refurbs. Maybe the stock fluctuates, and if they can't guarantee a 650 at that moment they have to warn you about the change? Since they are shipping nearly immediately, it's a good bet they know if they have them or not.