Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Got the Treo 680 here in Australia just the other day..what a great phone...loving it....but the data costs are the killer!

Just trying to work out a better data option through various carriers here...

Can someone give me a ballpark idea of how much data they use on some typical treo data tasks? eg.

Looking up an address on an online phone book?
    Google Maps - Browsing?
    Reading News from an online news site?

I can get a plan that is reasonable with a 3mb download amount...how quickly am I likely to chew through this?
    Google Maps uses a ton of bandwidth. You can easily use 1 MB in a single session.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Yup. I got hit for 50 (AUD$ 124 = US$ 94) data charges for messing around with Googlemaps and downloading a software cab without thinking. Painful!
    Ouch......

US$5.99/month unlimited access..... T-mobile T-zones service
    Well, I'm a heavy email (ChatterMail) and IM (Causerie) user. Those plus occasional Web and other uses (Dir Assist, ssh, ...) puts me between 300 and 400 MB a month. Yeah, there's a reason they default us to unlimited data plans.

But the usage you describe seems more on the light/occasional use end of the spectrum. Perhaps you could get away with a smaller plan? I might err on the high side (10MB or 20MB) and then keep a close eye on your actual usage through the first month or two. Hopefully, the provider has a means for you to look up usage so far during the month...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    At the moment I'm on Orange paying UKL3.40 (US$6.67) for 3MB. Looking to move to something like T-mobile web 'n' walk - UKL6.38 (US$12.51) for unlimited.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Hi mate i am also in Australia essentially Aussie telcos suck. Telstra's Phone and Data rates are just horrible, Optus has a number of call cap plans but their data is charged by the minute and not included in the cap. Vodafone has cap plans as well and their data is charged in 5min blocks. One exception on Vodafone is there Supercap + Data. This allows you to bundle one of their GPRS packs with the $79 cap. If your like me and a "heavy user" go for the 100meg a month plan for $29 extra. Trouble is with both thse of these combined your monthly spend is over $100. Sux i know but thats all the options you have short of going prepaid.
    All this stuff has given me much angst over the months.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Orange Uk - 3.95 per month for unlimited gprs data. Shouldn't work but it does - "open access" package using orangewap.

Pity the phone defaults to "orangeinternet" apn..... just have to connect manually to orange wap.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oztreo View Post
    Hi mate i am also in Australia essentially Aussie telcos suck. Telstra's Phone and Data rates are just horrible, Optus has a number of call cap plans but their data is charged by the minute and not included in the cap. Vodafone has cap plans as well and their data is charged in 5min blocks. One exception on Vodafone is there Supercap + Data. This allows you to bundle one of their GPRS packs with the $79 cap. If your like me and a "heavy user" go for the 100meg a month plan for $29 extra. Trouble is with both these of these combined your monthly spend is over $100. Sux i know but thats all the options you have short of going prepaid.
    All this stuff has given me much angst over the months.
    hmmm...thanks for the info mate...I'm absolutely loving the 680...and the bit of data I've used with Telstra pre paid has worked great..Google Maps was working a treat...but there's no way I can justify spending $100 a month (or about $22 a megabyte with Telstra pre paid) when most of the time I'm at home or work with a regular broadband connection....

It's such a shame for us Aussies that we have a device that works well...would be useful for so many people...but the data costs are just ridiculous!

By the sound of it the future here is going to be the 3g network and maybe the Treo 750v...$29 a month gets 200mb of data with "3".

But that means buying another Treo...when I'm just oh so happy with my 680 and Palm OS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Ouch......

US$5.99/month unlimited access..... T-mobile T-zones service
    Does T-Mobile still offer the $5.99 T-Zones? How well does the 680 work with T-Zones? Are you able to access normal HTML sites?
    Mavoz I have also used Optus pre paid with my Treo...if you get on their bonus cap thing ($40 gets you $250 of credit) it might be less painful for you as the gprs charges are deducted from this "bonus" credit. You ca port your exising number to them as well
    Oh and optus let you use yahoo SMS as part of your bouns credit as well. (just a side bit of info)
    Visit us at...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i'm on t-mobile total internet $ 30/month
    i'm using pdanet to connect my laptop to the internet and has speed of 384 kbps
    is this very slow?
    Islndboi,

I have full access to everything on the internet. T-mobile offers T-zone service to all their phones although if you tell them you have a smart phone their going to push you to the much more expensive plan.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oztreo View Post
    Mavoz I have also used Optus pre paid with my Treo...if you get on their bonus cap thing ($40 gets you $250 of credit) it might be less painful for you as the gprs charges are deducted from this "bonus" credit. You ca port your exising number to them as well
    Oh and optus let you use yahoo SMS as part of your bouns credit as well. (just a side bit of info)
    Thanks for the 'headsup' Oztreo...I'll check out Optus...I didn't mind Telstras other plan on a 12 month contract...$20 with $20 credit..(reduced to $15 with credit) + $8 for the 3mb data..+ cheap rates after 8pm....

.but I could can see the risk of going over that 3mb and ending up with a $1000 bill or something being too feasible!

Thanks again..will catch you at Auspug sometime..(actually had some trouble signing on there...will try at work)
    I'm also an OZ Treo user posting from Treo 650. I'm on a $49 cap plan with SimPlus that gives me up to $200 worth of calls, text & GPRS data.
    I don't go over it and make 10-20 calls/txt a day plus check google mail, news websites & treocentral.
    US users have much cheaper data, they don't know how good they've got it.
    Capped plans including GPRS data are still available try m8.com.au
    Where u get yr 680? How much?

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    We also don't appreciate how incredibly CHEAP our gas is either
    @VikingBrad thanks for the tip on m8.com.au ill check it out.

I was a bad boy and got my Treo through a friend in the US ... hehe. White Treo's are pretty ;-) got the mobile music pack too.
    Visit us at...
    Quote Originally Posted by techuser View Post
    i'm on t-mobile total internet $ 30/month
    i'm using pdanet to connect my laptop to the internet and has speed of 384 kbps
    is this very slow?
    Does using pdanet and your phone use up anytime phone minutes or data time (which is unlimited with the $29.99/month T-mobile plan)?

I am considering going this exact route but want to make sure that I am not using all of my minutes surfing from my laptop.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad View Post
    I'm also an OZ Treo user posting from Treo 650....
    Where u get yr 680? How much?

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Nice to see another Aussie here Viking Brad,

I got my treo through expansys.com.au, based here in Melbourne. They got a batch through about a week ago ( only ones in Australia I believe) and were expecting another lot soon last I checked with them. I paid $729 AU for it...apparently they 'guessed' the price first...and realised they were a bit under...hence the reason it's a bit more expensive now...they only have Graphite ones though...so I was also tempted to get mine from the US to get colour...but I sure am happy with the phone!
    Here is another option you may want to check out.... http://m8.com.au/web/ I checked with them and GPRS useage is included in the cap . I may consider switching
    Visit us at...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast