1.    #1  
    How many of you purchased your 650 and realized that the new memory structure meant you actually had less storage on your Treo?

Those same folks, which was worse the memory issue or the current battery frustration?

For me the memory was much more aggrevating as I had to buy new apps get rid of some and use methods that made my unstable Treo more unstable. For a month or so I thought I made a mistake upgrading from my 600.

With the 680 I had to buy another battery but at least the issue has some kind of user solution.

I remember people at the time returning their 650's and thinking the 650 was going to be a big flop. But it turned out to be the model that everyone identifies the Treo by. Wonder what the future holds for this device.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Well, what I think you're saying is that the main problem for the 680 has a relatively simple and inexpensive hardware solution -- a second battery. The problem with the 650 had no reasonable hardware solution (don't get me started on moving apps to the card -- I know all about the benefits and painful limitations of that strategy). In fact, the software solution for the 650's problem might have been more expensive due to the software licence fees for the various software helpers you needed.

I sincerely hope the 680 gets a nice fix -- firmware update, extended battery in the original form factor, or a stunning turnaround in the existing battery after "conditioning", but ... I dunno. It will be a long time before Palm even admits it is a problem, if ever. First, they'll tell everyone who calls / complains that this is something new that they've never heard of before. That behaviour will go on for months over dozens or hundreds of customers. Next, and only if we're extremely lucky, a firmware update will appear out of nowhere, with no advance notice, proving finally that all those one-off problems Palm was claiming at customer support was actually recognized as a systemic problem that needed addressing.

If we're not lucky, we'll all be carrying 3 batteries when we're on business trips, and feverishly clicking "Refresh" over and over again on the treocentral "Future Treos" sub-forum when we're not.
    THe battery issue is far more of an issue, as far as I'm concerned. I had memory available in my 600 when I upgraded to the 650 so I didn't have a problem right away. However, I did run out of room quickly and I added PowerRun (which I am still running on my 680) and it solved the eventual problem and then some. In that case there was an easy solution. In this case there really isn't - I don't see carrying around multiple spare batteries as a viable solution.
    The problem here is that most people with Treo experience were aware of the expected battery life of the 680. The batteries used by the current Treo series likes to be fed and has no problem with quick/short and frequent charges.

As for the second battery, I carry a second battery for my Nextel.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The problem here is that most people with Treo experience were aware of the expected battery life of the 680.
    Based on the respective mAH ratings of the 650 vs. 680 batteries, I was expecting something like 2/3rd the life for the 680. What I'm actually getting is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1/6th-1/8th.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I think what is more worrying is that if I was a new buyer, not au fait with the treo line or the forums online and I picked up a treo 680 and discovered the problem with the short battery life (which from what users here describe, does improve with time), I would be very frustrated and very likely to return the device.

Quite a problem if palm are trying to expand their user base outside of the normal pda/palm addicts.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    As a returning user who's last Treo was a 600, this thing is "ok". My Sprint 600 rebooted spontaneously if I loaded apps or changed the config from default..or did any work with it at all. The 680 is a dream in comparison. Fast, lighter, well balanced. I'll take this solveable battery problem over bizarre, hard to diagnose java crashes everyday!

But the new memory design pretect data against hard crashes. That's the whole reason Palm went to the new memory design. Battery issue can be fixed with a spare battery.
    Well, I'm not going to carry a spare battery for a device that is supposed to have a battery life of 4 hours talk time and 300 hours of standby time. I just called Palm, told them what kind of battery life I was getting and they said a new 680 would be shipped to me on Friday (the day that replacement units are currently being shipped). So maybe I have a bad device / battery, or maybe there's a bigger issue. Either way, I'll keep sending it back until I get battery life that matches what they say in the specs.

Dunc
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    James,

I agree - while the battery life might be annoying for some (but quite honestly, since I couldn't make it through an entire day with my 650 I'm not noticing any big problems ) the memory issues on the 650 were by far worse as far as I'm concerned, and as you say, the 650 was considered THE Treo for most people. I'm extremely happy with my 680 - I don't regret the decision at all, and am getting my 650 packed up this week to send it for my upgrade rebate!

Danita
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Well, I'm not going to carry a spare battery for a device that is supposed to have a battery life of 4 hours talk time and 300 hours of standby time. I just called Palm, told them what kind of battery life I was getting and they said a new 680 would be shipped to me on Friday (the day that replacement units are currently being shipped). So maybe I have a bad device / battery, or maybe there's a bigger issue. Either way, I'll keep sending it back until I get battery life that matches what they say in the specs.

Dunc
    I don't mean to defend Palm/680 but the reason Palm moved to a smaller battery is because every Treo 650 direct competitor offered way shorter battery life than the 650 and they were getting away with it. Palm see people are not complaining about so that's why they are going with a smaller battery/slimmer body design as well.

If you complain hard enough, you will get your replacement (loud customers always do). But it's not going to offer longer battery life.