Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Someone in the other threads described a battery reset which could be carried out in the 650 and suggested to try it on the 680 to see if the fast drain on the battery indicator could be resolved. I tried it and it has "fixed" the problem. The procedure is as follows:

1 Connect the 680 to the charger with power on
    2 Remove the battery
    3 Replace the battery after waiting a while (1 min)
    4 Charge the phone 3-4 hours to 100% capacity and disconnect

My battery indicator now gives a more accurate indication of the battery drain and has slowed considerably. My 680 can go close to 48 hours before recharge now on low usage. After the first charge I am able to leave the phone on trickle charge overnight.

I know this is another battery thread but I felt is was the best way to disseminate this information to everyone without them having to read through the many threads in the forum. I agree there are too many battery threads and it would be better to place them under one thread if possible.

Hope this helps
    What was your battery life like before you executed this procedure?

I understand why you wanted to start a new thread for this, although there will be many, many folks that give you grief over it. I think we might need a temporary "Treo 680 Battery" treocentral sub-forum for the next month or so until this problem settles down (crossing fingers).
  3.    #3  
    Prior to this procrdure I was lucky if the battery indicator showed I could use the phone for more than 8-12 hours before I was in the red. I would loose 20% to 30% overnight with the phone doing nothing except sit on the table.

Interestingly enough when I decided to actually see how much battery life was remaining (I left it on til the phone shut off) it lasted for approx 7 hours while less than 10% remaining an the battery showing nothing. This lead me to believe it was a metering indication problem rather than a software background draining issue. So far so good and I have all my fingers crossed.

I have also posted the same information in the 680 Battery Life thread as well.
    So, the problem with the metering issue is that, from 10% down, the stupid thing keeps beeping and popping up these "Battery Low" dialog boxes. Not only that, but these stupid dialogs never time out, so if you're not around to respond (like, maybe you're asleep?), your screen stays on indefinitely, totally oblivious to whatever auto-off timer you may have in place!!!

Great feature, eh? What clever programmer designed this? "Hey, your battery is low so I think what I'll do is turn your screen on and leave it that way, draining the battery even faster." Sheesh.
  5. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Great feature, eh? What clever programmer designed this?
    The same guy who programmed the 650 to put up a low-battery message when there isn't any battery at all. Ever tried to run your 650 on the charger? You'd think it'd work, wouldn't you? Well, at least the 650 powers off, after giving you the 30-second countdown.
    Yee haaa my good people.
    I am doing the recharge magic solution as we speak.
    After using my 680 for 19 days now it has gone froma 12 hour stint to a circa 15 hour, still not too good thought.
    Will report on the magic solution in 24 hours.
    Hope it works..............he he let's hope
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt View Post
    The same guy who programmed the 650 to put up a low-battery message when there isn't any battery at all. Ever tried to run your 650 on the charger? You'd think it'd work, wouldn't you? Well, at least the 650 powers off, after giving you the 30-second countdown.
    Tom!!!

Please, go to work for Palm! I know this sort of poor design wouldn't happen if you were there.

BTW... Tried this reset trick last night and recharged overnight. Early indications are that it has made no difference ... still losing 8% battery per hour under a zero usage scenario.
    Tried the reset and have seen a little improvement. Left the house this morning with 98%, eight hours later down to 88% with moderate use.

Then again, I have seen similar results before the "battery reset". I'm beginning to think Palm sent out defective batteries with the wide range of results everyone is reporting.

Just out of curiosity does everyone have the 3.7v/1200mAh Type: 157-10051-00 battery. Looks like mine is made by Samsung (reads "Samsung 6913" on the back).

I wonder if Palm bought a bunch of BlackJack batteries to meet the release deadline?
    I have two batteries, the one that came with the unit and one I bought about 5 days later. On the front they are identical, and to what you state. On the back neither of mine say Samsung anywhere. The barcode and printer are quite a bit different.

The original has two codes BTSG16A12 (this is under the barcode) 6A12 next to the barcode.

The new one has a smaller barcode and S/N: 5TZXX69W0050XX P/N: 35H00075-00M both unter the barcode.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Poor battery life - maybe it IS the battery...

Type: 157-10051-00 battery

6A23

NO Samsung print
    Still really early, but my goodness there may be hope yet!

Based on recent experience, my battery should be reading 60% right about now. Instead, it is actually reading 75%!!!!

Don't want to get my hopes up too high only to be dashed to the rocks in three hours time, but it is encouraging.

Will keep y'all apprised....
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    At 58% at 1539. Last week when it first arrived it would have been at 30%.

Will try the hard reset above tonight. I'll try anything to keep improving performance...
    Does the battery need to be drained prior to doing this or can it be done on almost a full charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Poor battery life - maybe it IS the battery...

Type: 157-10051-00 battery

6A23

NO Samsung print
    thats what mine says as well
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Actually the procedure sounds almost like an in-cradle reset.

See the palm kb article here: http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...l2001#incradle

There's no mention of a "battery reset", only a "battery disconnect reset" which wipes all data and restores the Treo to a factory-fresh state.

Just to clear any confusion...
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Yea, I've had bouts of giddy high hopes and sad doldrums. My battery has been behaving all over the map today.

There have been times when I've had my traditional precipitous plunge (8% per hour), then there have been times, like in the last hour, where the battery gauge hasn't budged from a constant reading (in this case, 60%).

What is going on with this battery meter??

Is this just the birth flailings of a newborn battery, or is the hardware totally ... well, you know the word I wanted to use.

At this point I don't know what to tell you. My battery might be good now. Or not. One of these two.
    Anyone tried loading BattGraph and watching it?

Note.. DO NOT use BattGraph if you use some background applications, as it makes things go badly. And remember to limit the data stored by BattGraph and launch it at least once a day or the database could get large and make it take a second or two for the Treo to power up (as it loads, loads db, writes db). It would be best for someone using standard apps to try it. No background IM, email, Butler, etc of that nature.

Could be interesting to see the graph..
  18. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Tom!!!

Please, go to work for Palm! I know this sort of poor design wouldn't happen if you were there.
    Life is too short to go fix other company's problems. Maybe not for making light of them though!

BTW... Tried this reset trick last night and recharged overnight. Early indications are that it has made no difference ... still losing 8% battery per hour under a zero usage scenario.
    VERY IMPORTANT: Fuly charge the battery before resetting. Then, use normally, letting it run down, etc. The point is not the reset, it's letting the adaptation see the full range of stored power. A reset just primes the pump.
    BTW, my laptop has similar issues, as I'm sure a lot do... After a month or so, it won't charge past 95% anymore, and it'll run at 2-3% for 30 minutes..... It's just out of calibration. So I run it until it dies, recharge it fully, and it's back to normal.
    I tried the battery reset and got a decent improvement, but what really helped me is that I ran the 680 last night until it totally died and would no longer even turn on and then fully recharged it. My 680 has been off the charger for 3 hours and 15 minutes now. I have chatter enabled have made 2 10 min phone calls and received about 10 emails and did a little web browsing and my battery is currently at 99%. I think that the battery meter is wrong and just needed to be recalibrated by running the treo until it died and then recharging it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast