Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ran my battery down to 9% last night then I started actively surfing the net. 30 minutes AFTER it went to zero with non-stop active surfing it finally shut down. I'm very interested to see if that helps the meter more accurately read battery life today.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Ran my battery down to 9% last night then I started actively surfing the net. 30 minutes AFTER it went to zero with non-stop active surfing it finally shut down. I'm very interested to see if that helps the meter more accurately read battery life today.
    I know, I listened to 45 minutes of streaming radio through pocket tunes last night after my battery meter said 0%......
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    I tried the battery reset and got a decent improvement, but what really helped me is that I ran the 680 last night until it totally died and would no longer even turn on and then fully recharged it. My 680 has been off the charger for 3 hours and 15 minutes now. I have chatter enabled have made 2 10 min phone calls and received about 10 emails and did a little web browsing and my battery is currently at 99%. I think that the battery meter is wrong and just needed to be recalibrated by running the treo until it died and then recharging it.
    There may be something to that. I let mine run down to 4 % battery level last night. Kept getting the "low and extremely low battery, please charge battery" prompts, but kept kept letting P-tunes run. Tried running it all the way down, but it was way past mid night and I had to get to bed. Well, I popped it in to charge overnight, removed from the charger around 6:30 a.m. this morning. Light use with a couple of phone calls, checking and deleting emails, messing around with the calendar and contacts, and little bit of browsing. Right now as of 1:57 p.m., I'm at 83%. Seems to be decent battery life. Later this week I'll probably let it discharge all the way and see if I can get even better battery life response.
    I tried it too last night. my battery was about 46% when I performed the reset. I took it off the charger this morning about 8:30 (was at 100%) and now at 1:40pm my battery is at 86%. I've made two phone calls, and since 1:00 have been browsing this site and checked my email via snapper. so far so good.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    I too tried the reset last night.
    Took the phone off charger at 8:30 this morning and after 7 hours and moderate use, including chatter and using bluetooth on calls, I am only down to 69%

When I first got the phone I was lucky to get 8 hours till it was warning me to recharge. So a combination of this reset and the battery adjusting has made a great amount of difference, at least in my case.
  6.    #26  
    I would like to speculate that the battery indicator is incorrect on the Treo. I appears that the battery can last much longer than what is being indicated but it is really hard to ignore the low battery warning especially when you are away from any power source and you are waiting for an important call. That is the crux of the probelm and gives everyone the jitters.
    isnt there a 3rd party battery meter out there?
  8.    #28  
    Just went through 24 hours with a 54% drop. That works out to be 2.25% per hour for the past 24 hours. Not fantastic but with the smaller battery I guess it is to be expected. Definitely better performance than when I first got the phone.
    im just waiting for my battery to die even though its at 0% right now so i can try the battery reset
    I did the reset on both of our two treo 680's phones which were getting a little more than 24 hrs with light use:

My wife's phone is now at 48hrs after the battery reset + charge and battery indicator has slowly gone down but STILL INDICATES 44% left! She has had 30 calls into and out of the phone per the log during that time, but uses few other apps /mail/ web etc. at this time. NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT...not as good as on our Treo 600's but better than I expected based on the smaller battery.

Interestingly enough, I didn't do anything special like "drain the battery to 0%" on her phone. I just plugged it into the charger at about half charge after reading this thread, did the reset process described at the beginning and let it stay on the charger for a few hours after the reset process.

However, on my phone (we have two 680's), I drained it to 0% until it shut off and would not turn back on, put it on the charger, did the reset (forgot the battery was out for about 10 minutes during the reset process) and saw no improvement! So, I am doing a reset on mine again right now on a full charge (making sure I don't forget to put the battery in after the 1 minute removal) and am hoping for the great improvement I saw in hers.

**Note: I use Cingular & I also turned off (selected "none") the gettting time and date from Network setting per the prompt after the battery reset on both phones (desribed on another thread as possible battery drain culprit). I know, not good science changing 2 variables at once, but I could care less about the auto time thing now with improvement like this. I would have to surmise that the battery reset made the biggest difference though as I changed the auto time from Network on both phones to none and only saw the drastic improvement on the one I did the correct battery reset process on.***
    There is a lot of science/technology involved in charging and aging Lithium Ion batteries. A few factors to help the discussion along:

- Lithium Ion batteries last about 400 full charges/discharges before their permanent capacity diminishes - seems low eh?
    - Partial battery discharges make the battery last much longer. In fact lots of small top-up charges are a good thing for battery lifespan. Try to forget anything you ever knew about conditioning NiCad batteries - it's the exact opposite for Lithium Ion.
    - The battery charger is designed not to allow you to do full charge/discharges to support the last statement
    - Batteries usually have a calibration circuit on them which determines zero and determines full. These are supposed to be tuned and sometimes are out of whack.
    - It is rare for the battery tuning to allow you to go to true zero nor to true 100%.
    - Battery chargers for LioN batteries have to be careful about charging at the top end of the charge - there is a tail off of power supply when the battery approaches ~90% full. I believe this is because the battery would get too hot if you kept charging at full throttle.
    - Once the battery is full, the charger usually stops charging (the battery rejects further charge) but the charger may appear to be still doing something.
    - Charging in a cold room will not give you full charge capacity on your battery. The battery cant take the same power density when it's cold.

With regards to power usage, the big power drains on a smartphone are often:
    - streaming audio wirelessly - data services plus amplifier plus max CPU for decoding.
    - keyboard and screen backlights. Set levels lower and lower timeout settings on sleep for device.
    - turn off services you don't use like IR or Bluetooth
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 12/14/2006 at 05:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Discharged battery completely for 4th time last night. Plugged it in and went to sleep.

Alarm went off at 4AM. Had Green Light™ Checked battery strength. 100%.

"Great!" says me.

Leaving the battery meter displayed, I pulled out the charging connector.

Battery meter drops to 95%!!

"WTF!" says I!

Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
    Just to summerize since I am reading some conflicting information...

1) Is it best to fully drain the battery prior to doing the reset or to drain halfway?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Worked great for me. Pulled off the charger at 10am yesterday morning.. had 28% at 3am last night. Before I would have had to recharge waaay before that. This is about the same as the 650 for me.
    Here here!!!!!
    I did the battery reset and a clean instal too! YES there has been lasting longevity since the latter. Had it off charge for 24 hours and used it for a good 2 hours talk and 300 emails. Now at 24% not bad at all.
    The full discharge past zero (twice) dropped my battery drain from 8%/hour to between 1 to 2%/hour which I find very acceptable. So after 8 hours my battery is still above 80% but that was relatively light use. After the calls started coming and mail picked up it went down to about 4 to 5%/hour. Still at that rate it's only 50% after a full day of pretty heavy use.
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    Here here!!!!!
    I did the battery reset and a clean instal too! YES there has been lasting longevity since the latter. Had it off charge for 24 hours and used it for a good 2 hours talk and 300 emails. Now at 24% not bad at all.
    Received or sent 300 emails? If it's sent....
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Received or sent 300 emails? If it's sent....

Not sent, well maybe 10 of the 300
    Well, I popped it in to charge overnight, removed from the charger around 6:30 a.m. this morning. Light use with a couple of phone calls, checking and deleting emails, messing around with the calendar and contacts, and little bit of browsing. Right now as of 1:57 p.m., I'm at 83%. Seems to be decent battery life. Later this week I'll probably let it discharge all the way and see if I can get even better battery life response.

My battery has greatly improved. I accidentally let my battery drain to 0% yesterday, charged it last night before going to bed and took it off the charger before going to bed around 11 pm. At 5:30 am, my battery was AT 99%. Hours later, it was at 99%. After checking email and checking voicemail, went down to 98%. Now at 8:45 pm, my meter says 83%. Previously, my battery would be down to maybe 20%... the complete drain has made a world of difference... I had tried the battery reset a few times, and it did not make a difference... this did... I changed my settings as others have mentioned, but this is the clincher... yea!!!
    rdeemed70 alias TreoDelta- Ooo-oop!!
    Coffeshop chic, gadget fiend...
    Treo 680... WHAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by rdeemed70 View Post
    Well, I popped it in to charge overnight, removed from the charger around 6:30 a.m. this morning. Light use with a couple of phone calls, checking and deleting emails, messing around with the calendar and contacts, and little bit of browsing. Right now as of 1:57 p.m., I'm at 83%. Seems to be decent battery life. Later this week I'll probably let it discharge all the way and see if I can get even better battery life response.

My battery has greatly improved. I accidentally let my battery drain to 0% yesterday, charged it last night before going to bed and took it off the charger before going to bed around 11 pm. At 5:30 am, my battery was AT 99%. Hours later, it was at 99%. After checking email and checking voicemail, went down to 98%. Now at 8:45 pm, my meter says 83%. Previously, my battery would be down to maybe 20%... the complete drain has made a world of difference... I had tried the battery reset a few times, and it did not make a difference... this did... I changed my settings as others have mentioned, but this is the clincher... yea!!!
    A 16% discharge for 15 hrs usage is impressive even by the good ol' 650's standards. Your post should really be made a sticky as a testament to support discharging "bad" batteries on the 680.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12