Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a Treo 600 user for years (since the first year of the Treo 600). I liked it a lot.

The ringer died recently.... and I could not find a replacement speaker (I had replaced the battery a year ago or so, with the higher capacity battery).

Then the 680 came out.
    Yeah!

I bought an unlocked, unbranded Treo 680 at palm.com....

Very nice phone.

Very nice software.

But I do not think it is is going to work for me.

TWO ISSUES:

a) Battery life sucks. With my 600 I could charge it once a week (I do not talk on it that much).

With the 680, it needs daily attention (which it is not going to get).

b) Volume is low. Even at the max setting, the phone volumen is just low.

So while the Treo engineers did a GREAT job, this phone is simply not going to work for me.

I am sending it back tomorrow. With a heavy heart.

My 600 without a ringer is more useful than this very nice phone that needs to be charged all the time.
    What do you do from day to day that you cannot afford to charge the 680 daily? It's not that hard...just plug it in at night before you go to bed.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Woofster,

Hang around a bit. The battery gets better over time. True, it's not what it should be, but it gets better. And aftermarket batteries are on their way.

If you can, wait it out and see.

Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Hang around a bit. The battery gets better over time. True, it's not what it should be, but it gets better. And aftermarket batteries are on their way.
    The battery gets better with time? When have batteries ever gotten better with age? Batteries get progressively worse - it's a fact. Even still, why should I have to buy an aftermarket battery for a brand new product? The thought of replacing a brand new battery on a near $400 device is ludicrous! I've had the 300, 600, 650 and 680 - there have been other battery issues that firmware flashes fixed, but there has never been anything as **** poor as this issue. You can't even complete a days' work with this phone.

My kids wanted a 680 - I said "forget it, you'd hate it!" They leave for school on the bus shortly after 7:00 and don't get back from sports, etc. until at least 5:30. Student's don't have access to a charger throughout the day, the phone wouldn't make it half way through a school day.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    The battery gets better with time?
    Li Ion batteries have a (small) break-in period while their controler learns the parameters of a low and full charge. At first these values (full/empty) are not very accurate, but improve with initial use.

You are correct in general - batteries do get old, what the post was referring to is not time in years, but time in the first weeks of use.

For a good read on LiIon batteries, check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    So I'm as concerned about battery life on the Treo 680 as well as the next guy, but I, too, am coming from a Treo 600 and very happy with the battery life I get following a battery replacement/upgrade I performed about a year ago.

That said, I would love to have the option of a practically INFINITE battery capacity available on any phone - particularly the Treo 680 - that supports a quick battery swap (for those not Treo 600 aware, a tricky process of cracking open the case was required to "replace" its battery).

So, is this an option for you? A friend of mine has a Treo 650 with a docking station able to simultaneously charge both his phone's battery and an extra battery (right behind it). Would this be a good solution for you?
    suggestion: join the "love the treo 680" thread
    I just upgraded from 600 to 680 today ... your thread makes it sketchy.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have had every Treo since the 270. The battery in the 680 isn't that bad. Mine is getting a few minutes a day longer charge as it breaks in. It's certainly not as short-lived as the 270 was. And, you can have more than one battery as they are quite small. My Treo has been on for over 12 hrs today and still going. We'll see for how much longer.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I upgraded from a 600 to a 680, and I couldn't be happier! The speed, the screen, the updated features, and yes - the battery could be better. I will wait for the 3rd party battery upgrades, but at this point, I wouldn't consider going back to the 600! I loved my 600 for 3 years - and I will not get rid of it - but it's a backup now. The 680 is the main player & I love it!
  11.    #11  
    Look, the 680 is a _very_ nice phone. Everything about it is really good.

But the battery life is simply awful. The 'success' stories talk about only needing to charge it after 48 hours.

48 hours?

That's all?

That is success?

I would charge my 600 once a WEEK.

I do not want to be a slave to charging my phone. I am not a heavy cell user (I sit at a desk all day with a 'real' phone next to me). I do not need to be a slave to charging the phone.

The Treo 680 brochure: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...treo680_ds.pdf

Says:

4 hours talk time (fine)
    300 hours standby (would be fine... that is more than 10 days...)

Has ANYONE here even had five days of standby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    I upgraded from a 600 to a 680, and I couldn't be happier!
    Let me teach you how to be happier .. I too upgraded from a 600 to a 680. In between I was using a PPC phone for about 1.5 years. At least i felt like I am so much more happier after I know what PPC can't do .. can't describe though it just felt different..
    the 600 isnt even in the same league as the 680
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post

But the battery life is simply awful. The 'success' stories talk about only needing to charge it after 48 hours.

48 hours?

That's all?

That is success?

Here's what you have to understand:

1) The 680's processor is 312 MHz, compared to 133 MHz for the 600.

2) The 680's screen has 4 times as many pixels as the 600's which means it uses 4 times as much power:

160 x 160 = 25,600 pixels

320 x 320 = 102,400 pixels

3) The 680 has 64 MB RAM. The 600 has what? 12 MB?

4) And lastly, the 680 has EDGE. Faster internet speed means it uses more power.

This is like someone buying a Corvette and complaining it doesn't get the same gas milleage as their Ford Focus. If gas milleage is a major issue for you, then drive a Focus.

As for the battery life of the Treo, show me a phone that has a 312 MHz or faster processor, and is the same size or smaller than the Treo 680, but that gets bettery battery life than the Treo 680.
    There's perspective, folks.
    By the way, you can radically prolong the Treo 680 battery life if you turn off the Bluetooth. Check it out.

I had a Treo 600 before (which really sucked big time compared to my current Treo 650!) and I used to recharge it every other day with frequent internet/email usage, Pocket Tunes music, and heavy duty phone use.

There is no way, I'd go back to a Treo 600 after using a Treo 650 or 680 for even a few minutes. Like Eric said, it's a Corvette vs. a Ford Focus.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    Here's what you have to understand:

1) The 680's processor is 312 MHz, compared to 133 MHz for the 600.

2) The 680's screen has 4 times as many pixels as the 600's which means it uses 4 times as much power:

160 x 160 = 25,600 pixels

320 x 320 = 102,400 pixels

3) The 680 has 64 MB RAM. The 600 has what? 12 MB?

4) And lastly, the 680 has EDGE. Faster internet speed means it uses more power.

This is like someone buying a Corvette and complaining it doesn't get the same gas milleage as their Ford Focus. If gas milleage is a major issue for you, then drive a Focus.

As for the battery life of the Treo, show me a phone that has a 312 MHz or faster processor, and is the same size or smaller than the Treo 680, but that gets bettery battery life than the Treo 680.

really funny. here's comparing 650 to 680. 680 is a wee bit thinner but the battery isnt even half as good. why can't the great palm engineers just add a millimeter to the thickness of the 680 and make the battery at least acceptable to normal standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post

48 hours?

That's all?

That is success?

I do not want to be a slave to charging my phone. I am not a heavy cell user (I sit at a desk all day with a 'real' phone next to me). I do not need to be a slave to charging the phone.

The Treo 680 brochure: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...treo680_ds.pdf

Says:

4 hours talk time (fine)
    300 hours standby (would be fine... that is more than 10 days...)

Has ANYONE here even had five days of standby?

You have to understand that a more powerful device is going to need more energey. Also, when the manufacturer releases a more powerful device with a smaller battery, then you're going to have to charge it more often.
    Are you going to buy a 650 if you return the 680? It would be a perfect compromise between the 600 and the 680.

Living with no ringer may not be that great. I missed 3 calls the other day when I forgot I left the phone on silent.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's real simple.. Put a charger beside the bed. Go to bed, plug it in. How difficult could it be?

You don't have to plug it in every time it's not in your hand by any means. If you're not a heavy user, I presume this also means data? If so, I would think the battery life would be a non-issue. Just in standby it should last days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast