Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    As for the battery life of the Treo, show me a phone that has a 312 MHz or faster processor, and is the same size or smaller than the Treo 680, but that gets bettery battery life than the Treo 680.
    My Blackberry 8700. I can go almost three days before charging. EDGE, PUSH emaiil, six other email accounts polling, phone use, etc.

I am really diggin the Treo, and the battery "is" getting better. But to be truthful, for whatever reason, the battery life for "most" users is not good in the shipped condition as users have come to expect more.
    ^ blame it on the touchscreen amongst other issues.....now you're going to re-start the blackberrry vs treo thingy
    Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
    Look, the 680 is a _very_ nice phone. Everything about it is really good.

The Treo 680 brochure: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...treo680_ds.pdf

Says:

4 hours talk time (fine)
    300 hours standby (would be fine... that is more than 10 days...)

Has ANYONE here even had five days of standby?
    That definitely is a good point. I know that I wouldn't get close to 5 days standby. Even though my battery life seems slightly better, no way am I getting anywhere near what the official brochure indicates. I pulled it off the charger yesterday at 12 noon, and made my first call at 3:10. I saw that my battery was 86%. So that is a 14 % drop in about 3 hours of standby. (everything else turned off, etc). Following that out, assuming I've made no calls or even touched the device, in theory, then I'm down to 2% by 9 AM, the next day which is 21 hours, quite a big difference from 300, eh!
    So I do think something is up with this-it's definitely not performing like it is supposed to. That said-I mean, I'm not sending the phone back. I really do like it, and just would like to see the expected battery life on it. I'm not here trying to trash it, say it's a lousy device, etc. I really do like it a lot, and once the battery issue is resolved, I will definitely favor it over my 650.
    I would encourage all those dissatisfied with the treo 680 to return it.
    its just sad to see the loyal palm lovers keep on defendings palm's inefficiencies.
    maybe if enough unit is returned, then PALM will release better products in the future.
    I'm returning my 2007 Porsche because with my old 95 Honda civic I could drive for weeks without going to the gas station not even once.

Al
    The Porsche analogy is a horrible one....I think everyone is missing the point. Palm states 300hrs of standby time which is total bogus. Does Porsche advertise 35miles per gallon? Don't think so....

I think people wouldn't be upset or felt deceived if Palm stated only 48hrs of standby time.
    haha, you think the treo 680 is a porshe, lolz. never know porshe is an entry level car. the 680 has the same specs as the nearly 3 year old 650. nothing high-tech here.
    The treo 680 is more known for its ease of use and not for its cutting edge/advance features.
    The Bad battery seems more like a throwback to the treo 270 era.
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    That definitely is a good point. I know that I wouldn't get close to 5 days standby. Even though my battery life seems slightly better, no way am I getting anywhere near what the official brochure indicates. I pulled it off the charger yesterday at 12 noon, and made my first call at 3:10. I saw that my battery was 86%. So that is a 14 % drop in about 3 hours of standby. (everything else turned off, etc). Following that out, assuming I've made no calls or even touched the device, in theory, then I'm down to 2% by 9 AM, the next day which is 21 hours, quite a big difference from 300, eh!
    So I do think something is up with this-it's definitely not performing like it is supposed to. That said-I mean, I'm not sending the phone back. I really do like it, and just would like to see the expected battery life on it. I'm not here trying to trash it, say it's a lousy device, etc. I really do like it a lot, and once the battery issue is resolved, I will definitely favor it over my 650.
    Guys, the 300 hours standby time is with nothing running including the phone.
    I haven't fully tested this because I can't afford to have my phone off for that amount of time, however I left it off for 3 hours while at work and the battery remained at the same percentage as when I turned the phone app off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    I would encourage all those dissatisfied with the treo 680 to return it.
    its just sad to see the loyal palm lovers keep on defendings palm's inefficiencies.
    maybe if enough unit is returned, then PALM will release better products in the future.
    i actually did and it was interesting that they didn't even really care to know why. i simply don't believe in having to carry multiple batteries, turn off this and that so to justify its usability. i expected more and didn't find it to be all that different from my previous Treos outside of the memory (they got that part right) and the removal of the antenna. a great device for some, for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrackerman View Post
    I haven't fully tested this because I can't afford to have my phone off for that amount of time, however I left it off for 3 hours while at work and the battery remained at the same percentage as when I turned the phone app off.
    Okay-I stand corrected on the standby issue also including the phone being turned off too. Didn't think of that. And LOL-I doubt anyone is going to test that unless they are swapping phones for that time!
    And interestingly enough, today another battery life difference noted.
    4 hours after being pulled off the charger, I have 92%, as opposed to 86% after 3 hours yesterday. So who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I'm returning my 2007 Porsche because with my old 95 Honda civic I could drive for weeks without going to the gas station not even once.

Al
    Someone is having a little too much fun in here!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  12.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrackerman View Post
    Ahem.

I believe you are mistaken.

All cell phones are rated for two things:

Talk Time
    Standby Time

For those new to cell phones, allow me to explain what each thing means:

Talk Time: Time you spend actually talking on the cell phone.

Standby Time: Time that the phone is turned on, but you are not actually talking on the phone. For example, this is how long a battery charge (should) last between charges if you did not actually talk on the phone, but just waited for someone to call you.

So, back to our discussion:

Says:

4 hours talk time (fine for me)

I ask you: Has ANYONE ON THIS FORUM experienced even HALF of the advertised standby time?
    Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
    Ahem.

I believe you are mistaken.

All cell phones are rated for two things:

Talk Time
    Standby Time

For those new to cell phones, allow me to explain what each thing means:

Talk Time: Time you spend actually talking on the cell phone.

Standby Time: Time that the phone is turned on, but you are not actually talking on the phone. For example, this is how long a battery charge (should) last between charges if you did not actually talk on the phone, but just waited for someone to call you.

So, back to our discussion:

Says:

4 hours talk time (fine for me)

I ask you: Has ANYONE ON THIS FORUM experienced even HALF of the advertised standby time?

I am now getting CLOSE to 4 hours of talk time. I have been (although unscientifically) measuring my times recently, and as I have posted here and elsewhere, at 16 days with this battery, I am now having to charge every 24 hours with very heavy use, and every 36 - 40 hours with moderate use, which (again, unscientific) is roughly 2/3 of what I got from my 650.

As for standby time, I have no idea, because, quite honestly, my Treo will never standby for more than the 6 or 7 hours at night when I am sleeping.

Do I think anyone is getting is going to get 300 hours? Not likely with recent performance.

But since you are being precise on information, the Palm site states that the times are:

"Up to 4.0 hours talk time and
    Up to 300 hours standby time"

With all of the 3rd party apps and varied installation/sync methods people are using, this skews the times/battery performance. Palm would be crazy not to put an "up to" in their times!!!

IMHO, it sounds like there are some bad batteries out there, but it is also getting combined in these forums with battery drain based on 3rd party app issues, sync issues, day 1 battery conditioning issues. I don't think we have a true picture of bad battery vs. new battery or software/sync issues.

It is starting to sound like amny are getting better performance out of their batteries with time and conditioning. The strange thing is, the process of conditioning is all over the board.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Well, I tried it for just shy of two weeks and decided to send the 680 back and return to my 650. I like the feel of the phone in my hand. It looks great, especially the lack of antenna. Unfortunately, there are too many shortcomings to spend $400 on it.

Highlights for my return:

* Green button doesn't start the phone app anymore. Instead, there is a new phone button to do the same thing. The added key displaced the menu key down to the bottom right of the keyboard. As a right handed user heavily dependent on this key, it is very uncomfortable for my right thumb to bend at that angle.

* The green and red phone buttons are a tad too shallow and I tended to hit the functions buttons below. Same goes for the center pad key, a bit too recessed. I don't have fat fingers, either.

* I like the new keyboard layout look, but the keys seem a little tighter and don't have as rounded tops. Also, the key press is shallower and softer. I like feeling more of a 'click'.

* No reset button.

* Battery life isn't great, but I could deal with that through extra batteries and charging daily. Don't understand how the phone is barely any thinner and only .4oz lighter than my 650 and then have such an itty-bitty battery put in there. I guess the internal antenna took the place of the SD card which got moved to the side which took up the battery room.

* No volume when using the speaker phone. Rings super loud, but can't hear a conversation on it. Ear volume is a bit low when riding in a car too.

* What's with the plastic bendy stylus?

Software:

* The on-screen buttons when on a call used to be big and easy to tap with your thumb. Now they are small.

* I use the New Contact button at the bottom of the contacts screen. Now I have to break my thumb trying to reach the menu button to reach the New Contact option.

* When on the main phone page, you used to be able to start dialing and the Treo would try to find a name match. If there was no match, everything you typed reverted to numbers. Now it just stops - you have to dial numbers from the number pad screen. That's another click.

* Phone takes forever to start up. FOREVER. Took the battery out and put it back in. 1 minute, 40 seconds later I could power up the radio and start using the phone.

I look forward to Palm's next effort in a couple years and hope it picks up some of the 650's excellent functionality missing in the 680.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ^ blame it on the touchscreen amongst other issues.....now you're going to re-start the blackberrry vs treo thingy
    Quit being a Troll™

I still have my Treo 680 Crimson™ Just bought a Sena case and am expecting UPS with my screen protectors.

This is a "keeper" device!
    Crimson™Waiting for Battery Fixes to buy again...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12