Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    My class 2 transcend 8 gig just failed! My directories started to show up as inaccessible. Error said wrong parameter. Thanks to PhotoRescue version 3, I got to salvage 90% of my files. Yes, it was made for pics but works amazingly well with other files especially prc and pdb.

Can I get an rma even if I live here in Asia? I bought it from Amazon and had it flown in via my forwarder in New York.
    Just formatted it using card info on my treo 680. Now it only gets detected as a 5.5 gig card! Well at least it now shows as healthy with no bad sectors. But why did it get smaller?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Can you point me to a HW card reader that support 8GB SDHC cards?
    I have this bad boy
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820402101
    This is the one I got for 8 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820127003
    I have the little cheapie SDHC Rosewill reader from Newegg too. Works flawlessly. Not having a USB reader and depending on Palm's stoneage Hotsync or a software solution is crippling in comparison. Just swap the card back and forth and move your data flawlessly and extremely fast.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    This is the one I got for 8 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820127003
    Strange that the specs dont say it supports SDHC cards. I see a bunch of readers on Ebay that support SDHC for about $8 inc shipping.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Somebody with more tech expertise than I will have to explain why they don't explicitly say SDHC; perhaps it is implicit in what they do say. But it reads and writes my 8G card great.
    I got my A-Data 8G class 6 card. It took me over an hour to move my files from my PC to the card via the CardReader software. I went and bought this USB card reader for $6.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-SDHC-MiniSD-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Formatting the card thru the CardReader app worked fine.

I am surprised the 680 does not report the correct info. I have over 4Gigs of info on the card.
    CardInfo says 3352MB free of 3596MB. Is this normal?
    Last edited by swieder; 08/01/2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Just formatted it using card info on my treo 680. Now it only gets detected as a 5.5 gig card! Well at least it now shows as healthy with no bad sectors. But why did it get smaller?
    I think because the Treo is not expressly designed for 8G. What I did was to format as you did, then use Card Reader, and reformat it from my PC, which gave it 8G.
    By the way, in order to make it work with the 680, you don't have to do anything special. It will show 4Gb until you reach that limit. Then, it will show all 8Gb. At least, that's what I've read everywhere else. I didn't buy one yet, and I'm planning to buy a Kingston Class 6 8Gb as soon as I arrive to the States. I prefer to test it myself before buying...
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_herrero View Post
    By the way, in order to make it work with the 680, you don't have to do anything special. It will show 4Gb until you reach that limit. Then, it will show all 8Gb. At least, that's what I've read everywhere else. I didn't buy one yet, and I'm planning to buy a Kingston Class 6 8Gb as soon as I arrive to the States. I prefer to test it myself before buying...
    Doesnt work that way for me. I have over 4GB of data on my 8GB card. The amount of free space left looks ok, but the size of the card shown is wrong.
    Anyway, besides what it will show, it will work ok...
    This week I bought my wife a new Arctic 680 (Cingular branded...they're now down to about $250 new on ebay). I also got a new Transcend Class 6 8gig card for me, and am giving her my 6-month-old Transcend Class 2 8gig card. I expected the Class 6 to be faster, and it is.

For the transition, I put both cards in separate card readers and plugged them into separate USB ports on my laptop. I renamed my old card, then formatted the new card and gave it the same name as the old one had been, so all my apps would still work from the new faster card when I put it in my Crimson 680.

I ended up running into problems when copying over. It kept failing, finding corrupt files and directories. Several were within NVBackup datasets, but also about 10 mp3 files wouldn't copy over. I have 7 gigs of mp3's on the card, so that's a relatively small number, but it still surprised me. None of the 200+ documents on the card were corrupt (Word, Excel, etc.)

It was useless to try to do this big copy using Windows Explorer's built-in copy funtionality, so I used CopyHandler, a great freeware Windows program that I've had for years. It gives you complete control over the copy operation, and when you run into a file that can't be copied, gives you the option of Ignoring that particular file and resuming the copy. When I ran into corrupt files, I just Ignored them, then grabbed fresh copies from my PC.

I re-formatted the old card before putting it into my wife's Arctic. It's working fine, but it troubles me that all of these files got corrupted during normal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    I re-formatted the old card before putting it into my wife's Arctic. It's working fine, but it troubles me that all of these files got corrupted during normal use.
    That's the problem with class 2 8 gig transcend cards! I emailed my merchant and Transcend. Unfortunately, I still have to receive a feedback about my rma. Class 2 is no longer sold by Transcend. I suggest you just give your wife a new sd as that one will fail in the coming months. Currently mine is only detected on the pc as 5gig. It showed up smaller after my files suddenly got corrupted and couldnt be accessed anymore.

Good thing I only lost 2 gigs of video and music that I also have on my notebook. Some pics and videos taken by the treo were unrecoverable. Photorescue saved those for me and gave me access to my files. Hope you guys dont have to go thru this.

Bottom line: Dont make your wife use the class 2 8 gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think because the Treo is not expressly designed for 8G. What I did was to format as you did, then use Card Reader, and reformat it from my PC, which gave it 8G.

My issue stems from the card being corrupted after months of use as an 8gig card. After formatting, its now detected as a 5 gig card. Its just difficult to get an rma here in asia. Even Taiwan passed me back to the us site.
    okay so I just got this, it shows up as 4gb and I figured it would be a good idea to format it. I started the format and took a shower, ate lunch, etc.. still working, so I popped the card. it still shows up as 4g but I don't quite trust it. should the format take forever? when I get home i'll try formatting from my PC and see about filling it up.
    I don't think you can format 8G on the Treo.
    I'll try t get an 8 Gb SD Card and give it a shot
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775 View Post

16g SDHC Patriot

okay so I just got this, it shows up as 4gb and I figured it would be a good idea to format it. I started the format and took a shower, ate lunch, etc.. still working, so I popped the card. it still shows up as 4g but I don't quite trust it. should the format take forever? when I get home i'll try formatting from my PC and see about filling it up.
    Did you get any joy with this? 16GB cards are now on sale in the UK at under UKL100, and I'm severely tempted!!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Hi... I just bought a Cingular Treo 680 and a Kingston Class 6 8gb card

After formatting under Vista on my HP DV6565us built-in card reader, the card works ok... but everytime i use callrec or mvoice or the built-in camera for a while and then go to apps, the card unmounts, and I have to take it out an put it in again. It also happens with card reader sometimes... what am i doing wrong??

Tried with format x: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K ; being x the drive... I'm reformatting it right now with /A:16K to see if that works.... 8k doesn't (8k under Vista windows explorer).

Anyone with the same problem?

Is the card wrong? If I use it, it unmounts and the treo doesn't see it anymore until I take it out and put it in or after resetting!
    Last edited by caitoz; 11/11/2007 at 09:57 AM.