Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    My guess is that your laptop will NOT read the SDHC cards which is what the 8GB SD card is. All of the 8Gig SD cards will be SDHC so the brand is really not the issue. Some of the 4GB SD cards were not fully SDHC spec which is probably why your laptop could read it. I have a brand new Dell laptop and it won't read the SDHC SD cards either. I just use a small SD USB reader, that works great. You can get them on Ebay for around $5.
    AirJesus.com
    "A Website to Lift The Soul"
    i have had the same issue with my transcend 4gb 150x card, i remember popping the card directly into my computer card reader and formating it and all was ok, now i can no longer.. when i insert it says that the card needs to be formatted, when i try it either gives me two errors, the card is card protected in which the switch is not switched to protected or it says that 32k cluster size to too big for fat32...i had to format the card in my treo...then only way for me to format from there was from card reader and letting my computer read it as another drive, then i was able to format via format x(x being drive letter) :/fs:fat32/a:32k

u can also from DOS pick your drive for SD card
    x:
    then type chkdsk

will check your drive (card) for errors
    Thanks. I got it to format on CardExport after loading that hotfix, though I'm not sure that the hotfix really did anything. I suppose that would have nothing to do with the CardExport. Now I suppose I will have to load all my programs through Card Export. I guess I will get a card reader.
    My only remaining problem--and it is a bit cheap of me--is that I am using CardExport on the 21 day trial and each time I disconnect it, it says my time is up and I have to reinstall. What's with the 21 day trial?
    I recommend CardReader instead.
    Why?
    I've seen a lot of posts from folks, particularly with 680s, who have reported problems with CardExport II, who were able to use Card Reader flawlessly. I've always used Card Reader and it's worked perfectly every time (I even used Card Reader to do download the files for performing the Custom ROM and had no problems).
    i started with card export and card reader seemed quicker and more stable

another vote for card reader
    Another vote for CardReader from me, too. Support was fantastic. First time I loaded it, with my brand new 680, I couldn't get it to work. Had weird errors. Emailed them, and even though I was not a registered user, they asked a few questions, then emailed me a copy of the latest prc and said, "Try this". It didn't work either. Turns out I was using a bad SD card...I thought it was a good one, but it turns out I couldn't read it with any of 3 hardware readers. . Bought a new card, CardReader worked great, and I immediately paid for CardReader. I use it daily. Love it.
    Looks like I need Card Reader to go with my Treo 680. Since the SD card is behind a door and probably not accessible thru my new case, Card Reader looks like a nice way to add/remove files from my SD card.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well, I've had my Patriot 8GB (class 6) card for a few weeks now. I love it! But I get a 17 second lag whenever trying to enter my music library. This is when I haven't touched the card. If the card comes out, then it is a 1-2 minute (longer?) wait, even when nothing changes on the card. I hate to be picky, and I love my 8gb of music, but I just want to make sure this is normal. Is this what everyone is experiencing with their new BIG card?
    No. It takes me maybe two seconds to get into PTunes, and from there I can play music instantly. Or, if I want to search for new music, that takes about two seconds max, and I can play instantly. Mine is the 8G Transcend 6 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    Another vote for CardReader from me, too. Support was fantastic. First time I loaded it, with my brand new 680, I couldn't get it to work. Had weird errors. Emailed them, and even though I was not a registered user, they asked a few questions, then emailed me a copy of the latest prc and said, "Try this". It didn't work either. Turns out I was using a bad SD card...I thought it was a good one, but it turns out I couldn't read it with any of 3 hardware readers. . Bought a new card, CardReader worked great, and I immediately paid for CardReader. I use it daily. Love it.
    I downloaded and tried CardReader last night. I found it to be much slower to copy a file from my PC to the SD can than using an actual card reader. What takes about 30 sec with a real card reader took about 2 minutes with the CardReader application.

Is there some setting to boost this up? I am using th e trial version of the app.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    No. It takes me maybe two seconds to get into PTunes, and from there I can play music instantly. Or, if I want to search for new music, that takes about two seconds max, and I can play instantly. Mine is the 8G Transcend 6 card.
    Are you kidding!? This lag isn't normal w/ an 8gb? Then what's up? I don't have my music in the normal "Audio/Music" folder, but instead, in a "root/music". Does that matter? I synced it over from WMP11 onto the card via a USB card reader. That is the default folder of WMP11. Is that causing the lag? It can't be the card, can it? the Patriot (class 6) is supposed to be a good card, yes?
    I don't know what is normal. I've only had this 8G for about a week--and you wouldn't believe what I did to it and it still works. First I tried to format it in a PC that couldn't read it; then I put it in the Treo itself and had it formatted there--which clearly didn't work. Then I connected up Card Export and reformatted it again from my PC with the 32K spacing. I was amazed that it worked at all but it is faster than my old 4G and at least as fast as my old 2G. Then I loaded up all my audio just by transferring in windows to a directory I named "AUDIO" where it all lies now, inside separate folders for each album. So it is reading it fine, and apparently fast compared to yours. But I don't know what is slow and what is fast. I wouldn't let something else program it, though. I'd transfer the MP3s from the PC directory directly onto the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I downloaded and tried CardReader last night. I found it to be much slower to copy a file from my PC to the SD can than using an actual card reader. What takes about 30 sec with a real card reader took about 2 minutes with the CardReader application.

Is there some setting to boost this up? I am using th e trial version of the app.
    Do you think moving from a 4GB SD card to an 8 GB SDHC card would result in faster write speeds thru the Card Reader application?
    I have been using Card Reader, Card Export, and a cheap 8 dollar card reader from New Egg. Since the card reader is actually cheaper than the software apps, I elected to order one from New Egg and it works fine. It has a lot of other uses as well. I've put CardReader and Card Export into a separate directory on my card so if I ever need them in an emergency (which I can't really imagine happening) I can transfer them to the Palm and start a trial period.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    mdavis, have you filled up your 8GB card? I reformatted my card and started over and it is still lagging - 17 seconds to "searching or music". I was quick at about 2gb, but with each gb I added it added a few seconds to my wait. once I got to 8gb, I was back to the full lag. If you have 8gb of music on your card and no discernible lag, then I've got issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I have been using Card Reader, Card Export, and a cheap 8 dollar card reader from New Egg. Since the card reader is actually cheaper than the software apps, I elected to order one from New Egg and it works fine. It has a lot of other uses as well. I've put CardReader and Card Export into a separate directory on my card so if I ever need them in an emergency (which I can't really imagine happening) I can transfer them to the Palm and start a trial period.
    Can you point me to a HW card reader that support 8GB SDHC cards?
    I have this bad boy
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820402101
    Last edited by swieder; 07/27/2007 at 11:13 AM.
    As for slowness using an app such as Card Reader or Card Export II:

Using software like this on the Treo will ALWAYS be slower than using a dedicated hardware card reader that plugs into your USB port. The reason is that the Treo device uses the older/slower USB 1.1 standard, whereas the card reader (if purchased within the last couple years) will almost certainly be USB 2.0. I don't know of any Palm devices that have been released as USB 2.0. Once Palm does that, a HotSync operation that today takes 1 minute will take a fraction of the time. And a BIG sync operation such as after a hard reset, where you're restoring all of your apps, will take less than a minute.