Page 47 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke duke View Post
    We're just having fun. Certainly not intending to keep Horace from further development.

Here's a few more icons for those interested. Hope you like them! Abecedarian, feel free to add them to your thread.

d-
    Duke Duke - I love the MiniTones/xmms.gif icon! One quick suggestion - it looks like PalmRevolt/colors.gif has a splotch of white in the middle that needs to be set to your transparency color. Regarding adding them to my post - I'm literally out of room! Which brings me to...

I'm thinking that we need a full thread dedicated to icon development for Treo Launcher / Lnchr (I try to include both names since people run searches on both). Also, hopefully, one with a slightly more clear title, like "Treo Launcher /Lnchr - Icons Galore!" or some such.

Horace, could you do the honors? Not sure where to post said thread as TreoCentral lacks a skin/graphics forum (but also has an extremely large user base). Also, a bit painful to have a 490.6 KB limit on attached file sizes - it's absolute nonsense to break up an icon pack into multiple archives and even multiple posts (although I do like the fact that their formating options work quite well).
    Quote Originally Posted by Abecedarian View Post
    Horace, could you do the honors? Not sure where to post said thread as TreoCentral lacks a skin/graphics forum (but also has an extremely large user base). Also, a bit painful to have a 490.6 KB limit on attached file sizes - it's absolute nonsense to break up an icon pack into multiple archives and even multiple posts (although I do like the fact that their formating options work quite well).
    I can help to upload icon zip files to palmgadget.com, please feel free to email'em to me: horaceh @ gmail (dot) com
    Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    Re: aprasad, Rob_T and usskaos1,

Yes, I am working on 1.5 now but please don't hold your breath as Lunar New Year is approaching and those holiday parties are everywhere ...

Two main additions in 1.5 will be:

- plugin interface for adding addition information, e.g. weather forecast
    - search/filter for double-byte languages (e.g. GB encoded filenames)

Thanks
    Plug-ins would be a nice addition for me.

P.S. Happy New Year Horace!
    Duke Duke - I love the MiniTones/xmms.gif icon! One quick suggestion - it looks like PalmRevolt/colors.gif has a splotch of white in the middle that needs to be set to your transparency color.[/I].
    hee hee. fixed here.

duke
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    I can help to upload icon zip files to palmgadget.com, please feel free to email'em to me: horaceh @ gmail (dot) com
    Just sent some to you. In the meanwhile if anyone's interested, here's some more.

duke duke

I will hold off with all these multiple icon posts until we have a central place to store them. It's just difficult for me to keep them to myself after I adjust them, because I think "maybe someone will want these."

duke duke
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just sent some to you. In the meanwhile if anyone's interested, here's some more.

duke duke

I will hold off with all these multiple icon posts until we have a central place to store them. It's just difficult for me to keep them to myself after I adjust them, because I think "maybe someone will want these."

duke duke
    Files uploaded:

http://palmgadget.com/icon/CrystalClear_converted1.zip
    http://palmgadget.com/icon/CrystalClear_converted2.zip

Thanks
    ...we'll have to go about converting these all into gif.
    Please forgive me, I think I made a very stupid suggestion some time ago. Converting to gif may very possibly not be the way to go.

We should be using .bmp instead of .gif

From a guide I recently perused:
    Let's slip in directly and have a look at GIF. Here are some brief technical details of this format:
    • Maximum 256 indexed colors
    • LZW compression
    • Transparency possible
    • Interlacing possible
    • Supported by most web browsers
    That's right, the image corruption we'd been seeing is entirely a result of the fact that gifs are allowed to have up to 256 different colors in an image, no matter how large or small or detailed or simple it might be. Given that these icons have 2304 pixels in them, and each pixel can be one of the 65,536 vibrant colors that our best-on-the-market screens allow, we sacrifice a whole lot detail and quality by using .gif.

Because the Treo doesn't recognize normal gif transparency, and instead uses the corner-pixel analysis method, this really isn't an advantage at all. In fact, if you go to color in the transparent background of a gif, notice how sometimes blue will turn into brown? That is because the index of 256 colors is already full and brown is probably the closest color to blue!

I'm making some progress on designing a batch script, we'll see what happens. I've found that the key seems to be on neutralizing alpha before doing any conversion. Hopefully I'll have something put together before I move on Friday (no idea if I'll have internet). Regardless of my own probably failure, in the long run gif still seems a very bad idea.

The attachments speak for themselves (don't judge the .bmp by the quality of the edges - this example was a quick knock-off - I have total control over transition regions at this point). If your feeling bored, see if you can color in the gif's background to be green instead!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please forgive me, I think I made a very stupid suggestion some time ago. Converting to gif may very possibly not be the way to go.

We should be using .bmp instead of .gif

From a guide I recently perused:

That's right, the image corruption we'd been seeing is entirely a result of the fact that gifs are allowed to have up to 256 different colors in an image, no matter how large or small or detailed or simple it might be. Given that these icons have 2304 pixels in them, and each pixel can be one of the 65,536 vibrant colors that our best-on-the-market screens allow, we sacrifice a whole lot detail and quality by using .gif.

Because the Treo doesn't recognize normal gif transparency, and instead uses the corner-pixel analysis method, this really isn't an advantage at all. In fact, if you go to color in the transparent background of a gif, notice how sometimes blue will turn into brown? That is because the index of 256 colors is already full and brown is probably the closest color to blue!

I'm making some progress on designing a batch script, we'll see what happens. I've found that the key seems to be on neutralizing alpha before doing any conversion. Hopefully I'll have something put together before I move on Friday (no idea if I'll have internet). Regardless of my own probably failure, in the long run gif still seems a very bad idea.

The attachments speak for themselves (don't judge the .bmp by the quality of the edges - this example was a quick knock-off - I have total control over transition regions at this point). If your feeling bored, see if you can color in the gif's background to be green instead!
    Since Horace instructed us to rename appropriately sized gif files, will Treo Launcher see bmp files? I'll check it out and let you know in a minute.

duke duke

Edit: Well, Abecedarian, I bet you already knew the answer ;-). yes. I look forward to seeing your results! Good luck!!
    Last edited by duke duke; 02/15/2007 at 07:10 AM.
    horace, still no way to support animated gif icons?
    HTC Touch Pro
    when will 1.5 be available?
    Treoing & Loving it
    User requested modifications to pre existing WP's (sorry guys, still not in a designing frame of mind)

attn: broncot

Sea wallpaper for 4 row mode (with starfish)
    http://www.splashblog.com/NachoB700P/preview/568196.jpg

Sea wallpaper for 4 row mode (without starfish)
    http://www.splashblog.com/NachoB700P/preview/568197.jpg

Sprint Logo for Verizon phones
    http://www.splashblog.com/NachoB700P/preview/568198.jpg

Enjoy
    Thank you! Of course, I like them. As a matter of fact, I love them afterall they're of UT! Is there any way a few could be done with the longhorn logo in the bottom right corner, a shadow in the calendar area, etc. I think this looks so kewl in 123 mode. I know, I know beggars shouldn't be choosers. But....

d-
    NachoB, would you do something like this for me on a cool background?

duke duke
    Since Horace instructed us to rename appropriately sized gif files, will Treo Launcher see bmp files? I'll check it out and let you know in a minute.

duke duke

Edit: Well, Abecedarian, I bet you already knew the answer ;-). yes. I look forward to seeing your results! Good luck!!
    I think Horace might have mentioned waaaay back in this thread that it accepted .gif and .bmp. I'm guessing it has to do with native palm software. But the Palm is pretty heavily reliant on bitmaps - it's actually what normal images use as their icons - so it isn't a huge shock if you've ever poked around with a resource editor.

Okay, I spent way too much time learning Script-Fu, but the magic looks to be ready, meaning results tomorrow or Saturday (assuming I have internet at my new place). I've made a few different variations of the agt_announcements.png from the Crystal Clear Pack, and am curious what people think.

I've attached a .zip with the following variations:
    • announce-095.bmp
    • announce-127.bmp
    • announce-159.bmp
    • announce-191.bmp
    • announce-223.bmp
    • announce-254.bmp

I'd appreciate as many opinions/trials as possible as this will determine how the full pack conversions are done. Please give these a try on your actual palms, using a variety of different backgrounds. A few things to try varying in your backgrounds:
    • Light / Dark
    • Colors
    • Detail / Blurryness
    • Insignia / etc

Yay!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Since Horace instructed us to rename appropriately sized gif files, will Treo Launcher see bmp files?
    Yes, bmp also supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    horace, still no way to support animated gif icons?
    Not in near future. The animated gif library is out of my budget
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    when will 1.5 be available?
    Can I say "when it is done"? Probably after Lunar New Year.
    Can I say "when it is done"? Probably after Lunar New Year.
    What about a Beta, do you have one?
    Treoing & Loving it
    NachoB, would you do something like this for me on a cool background?

duke duke
    Best I could muster up at this point, hope it's okay.

http://www.splashblog.com/NachoB700P/preview/568750.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Best I could muster up at this point, hope it's okay.

http://www.splashblog.com/NachoB700P/preview/568750.jpg
    Out "freakin" standing!!

Thanks

duke
    I converted some iPhone style icons.. Three styles to choose from: Black background, white background and transparent background (transparency doesn't look that great though).

Download them here:

Black.zip

White.zip

Transparent.zip

Here are the original PNG's that I used. I don't recall who the original author is. I think I got them from deviantart though..

Original.zip

Cheers!
    Last edited by rich_75035; 02/18/2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i'm curious for the signal value. is the lower value better or higher?
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i'm curious for the signal value. is the lower value better or higher?
    It is the RSSI value and is referenced here. Seems that lower is better for voice.

duke