1.    #1  
    I watched this video comparison today. The Blazer comparison was pretty impressive, so I tested my Verizon 650 along with the video demo. I cleared my cache, set the homepage to TreoCentral and started Blazer at the exact same time as the video.

Guess what? My 650 ran neck and neck with the 680. Actually the TreoCentral logo appeared on my screen before the 680. The page continued to load a little slower than the 680 (by about 30K), but then actually completed loading before the 680 finished.

Conclusions? Maybe the video wasn't accurate real time. Or, maybe this test is not a valid comparison. Maybe their units, on their carrier, at their location, behave totally differently than someone elses. Certainly that is my experience.

In any case I view this report as anecdotal and somewhat inconclusive.

Barry
    Psion Organiser II > Apple Newton > Palm III > Palm V > Tungsten T > Tungsten T3 > Treo 650
    I thought the video showing Blazer on the 680 was impressive...But a few cuts in the video made me question the validity of it.

Oh well, my browser seems to load pages pretty fast. I never had another Treo, so I cannot compare it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorliss View Post
    ...Conclusions? Maybe the video wasn't accurate real time.
    I'm sure you realize that network performance varies from day to day. It's not very scientific of you to compare one test you got at a different time, with different network conditions, on a different carrier to their results and conclude maybe the video wasn't accurate real time. At least they made the comparison at the same time and on the same carrier.

The results in the video are consistent with what I've seen on my cingular 680 and cingular 650. Running dslreports.com/mspeed, I typically get between 100 and 150 kbit/sec on the 680, with the 650 I typically got less than half that. In addition, it's clear the caching works much better with 680.
    Can't say much about the data speed comparison, but I have differing opinions as to the Phone app comparison. The Treo 650 got trashed a little, and frankly the way that it was used in the video is IMHO not the fastest way to access those functions (search for name, dial straight from a wallpaper screen in the 650, etc.). For example, I have only 1 row of faves and a wallpaper, but if I wanted to dial a number I simply use the keyboard to dial the numbers directly. Alternatively, if I have my 650 set to search for contacts on type, then I hit the Phone button and select the Dial Pad and then use the keyboard. I have a lot of faves set up, but all of them have keyboard shortcuts so I never ever open up the list (it's all in my head ). Clean look + it's pretty fast.

That being said, I think that's just another charm of our Treos. There are _so many ways_ to use them, and their flexibility is a testament to the Golden Age of Classic Palm and Handspring.

Oh yeah, the best part of the review was the "Treo parade". SO cool.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    I'm sure you realize that network performance varies from day to day. It's not very scientific of you to compare one test you got at a different time, with different network conditions, on a different carrier to their results and conclude maybe the video wasn't accurate real time. At least they made the comparison at the same time and on the same carrier.

I think my point has been missed. My point is that it is not very scientific of the reviewers for exactly the reasons you mention.

My mention of the real time issue was to give the reviewers the benefit of the doubt - that maybe the stream I watched - and compared to my Treo's performance - was not going at real time, and therefore I wasn't making an accurate comparision.

This review purports to compare two Treo models, not the vagaries of connection speed and carriers. I would get the impression that the Treo 680 was definitely faster than the Treo 650 by viewing this video.

I don't think that this review proves that, except in their personal experiment. Now how scientific was that?

Barry
    Psion Organiser II > Apple Newton > Palm III > Palm V > Tungsten T > Tungsten T3 > Treo 650