Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Loving my treo 680...just not the data charges they slug us here down under!

Is it possible to connect to the web via a bluetooth adaptor on my home pc..ie basically utilise bluetooth as another means to get on the net at home? (Would be kind of a pseudo wifi network option that way.)
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yes. Either with a Bluetooth access point or through a computer with DUN.
    Here's some ideas:

- Make sure your Bluetooth drivers on the computer support acting as a "Gateway", via a Bluetooth profile

- Enable Internet Connection Sharing on your WAN (internet) connection on your computer

- you may need to manually assign IPs and DNS, I'm not sure about this one.

Good luck, I've been trying to do this too.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    This sounds like a great possiblity....thanks for sharing those key words...

"Bluetooth access point"

That's allowed me to google a few options about it:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Case=obj(13323)

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ifi_witho.html

I had no idea something like this was even possible...and could be a great option for comfortable web browsing on the couch at home!!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well if anyone is interested...let me just say...attempting to connect to the Internet via Bluetooth on your Treo is not for the faint hearted!!

I purchased a USB Bluetooth Adaptor for my home PC today and then have tried to follow the instructions at:

http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/index.php#firewall

Got most of the settings right..created a network connection called bluetooth..pressed connect...and actually get the Treo saying that it has connected to the COmputer (with the computer also saying it has received connection to the treo.....)

Now I'm at the last hurdle....how to get the Browser to actually use this connection....and not keep reverting to WAP on the phone network!

I've looked through the preferences on the Web Browser but can't see any option there to say 'use the Bluetooth connection' instead of the regular GPRS setting....

Anyone got any clues?
    The 680 resets the default Network on reset, that's likely what you're seeing.. Dumb bug, IMO.

Otherwise, you just set it in the network prefs to what Network you want it to use, and anything using the network will use that connection. It works very well, I used to use mine a LOT before I had unlimited data. Now I don't bother to switch it as much, as it drains the battery a lot faster for constant-on connections (VeriChat, etc) than GPRS does. It is much faster and has a lot less latency, however.

BTW, if anyone is doing this in Linux, feel free to read my writeup on it at http://webgui.theblackmoor.net:8082/home/treo/fedora
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

Otherwise, you just set it in the network prefs to what Network you want it to use, and anything using the network will use that connection.
    Thanks for the ideas...I'm not exactly sure if I undertstand what you mean by

"you just set it in the network prefs to what Network you want it to use"

I've been in Prefs...Communication...Network..tab and have the service there set as "Bluetooth Lan"...I can see the Telstra Wap ones in the drop down list...but I don't have them selected...."Bluetooth lan is the one displayed.

Is this the area you mean?

Even with that set...and then pressing connect...and then going via home button back to browser...It reverts to WAP browser....

Would you mind having a look at the following and let me know if you see anything obviously wrong:

(I've been using the instructions at:
    http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/index.php#firewall)

I press connect on my bluetooth connection (that I set up) and the Computer makes the connection noise...and when I go to view log it says the following:

LCP Up
    IPCP Up
    Service name: “Bluetoothlan”
    Local IP address: 192.168.0.5
    Gateway address: 0.0.0.0
    DNS address: 192.168.0.1

This is supposed to be right....but when I try
    ping www.microsoft.com
    I get an error timeout message

However when I ping www.telstra.com I actually get:
    Reply from 1444.135.19.10 bytes=32 time=120mms TTL=243

This means the connection must be working right? (I don't know why Telstra (my phone provider) is the only one that works though!! I've tried other big companies and they all time out.

Anyway when I press the home button and flick back to my browser…it just defaults to the WAP GPRS connection….I’ve tried tricking it by turning the phone off….but then it says…”You must turn the phone on”. When I do that it goes back to using WAP.

Here are my settings:

My router is set at 192.168.2.1
    My Local Computer LAN is at 192.168.2.2
    My Bluetooth Adaptor on computer has an address 192.168.0.1

and as I said in the view log I get:
    Service name: “Bluetoothlan”
    Local IP address: 192.168.0.5
    Gateway address: 0.0.0.0
    DNS address: 192.168.0.1

Any clues? Any help greatly appreciated! (You guys who understand all this networking stuff deserve PHD's IMHO!)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have an Anycom Bluetooth Access point on my home network, and it works fine with the 680. Before the access point, I was using a pc as a Bluetooth Lan to ethernet router. Google search for Bluetooth, Widcomm and lan access point to find some sites that explain how to do this. Apparently, on some pc operating systems, creating a lan access point violates the driver license and therefore won't work. I was able to find mildly hacked Widcomm drivers that worked well.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorozhbyt View Post
    Thanks...by the sound of what I've read so far...it's worth trying an alternative browser...I'll see how I go...
    I find this method very easy to setup:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...th-windows-xp/
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Has anybody been able to download the program mentioned in the above link? The site seems to be down. m-Router seems to be what I'm looking for... and at the right price
    I don't know how to do this with windows, but I can tell you one thing guys, this works fine with linux.

so it should work on windows too. right?
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulishor View Post
    Has anybody been able to download the program mentioned in the above link? The site seems to be down. m-Router seems to be what I'm looking for... and at the right price
    Yeah, you're right. Site seems to be down. Great freeware. I have this setup installed at home and at work for BT surfing with my Treo650
    Don't know if I can post a link to the file here but UGPM
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News