1.    #1  
    So I'm finally the proud owner of an Arctic Treo 680, Purolator finally getting its act together and the shipment arrived at my door Friday. I've been a long-time lurker and decided to register now that I have a Treo.

For reference, I'm moving from a SonyEriccsson k750i, not a smartphone but an otherwise excellent phone with BT2.0, music playback via MS Duo, and 2MP autofocus camera with flash. I can also check my POP3 email through it, as well as use Opera Mini 3 on it. The only downside is that the phone is tri-band, and coverage in my basement garage isn't good. No EDGE either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K750i

Anyway, I'm also a long-time Palm user, my first Palm being a PalmPilot Personal. I have a Tungsten C now. Thus, I am quite experienced with the PalmOS.

So why am I moving to a Treo? I wanted access to my vast Contacts database and my Calendar (I have datebk5), and I don't want to carry 2 devices (the k750+the Tungsten C). A quad-band device with EDGE is also handy.

Now, I'm apalled to find that the Treo doesn't do some things that I consider essential - things that all phones I've had since 1998 were able to do:

1) I cannot get the Treo to dial extensions from my contacts database properly. I've tried using the comma, "p", "w", but the contacts app just strips them all out. I have a lot of clients in different companies behind extensions, so this is a biggie for me. I know the "favorites" speed dial list can do this, but I cannot import my entire contacts DB there. I am aware of TakePhone 7 beta, but I don't need all its other features. Are there better (free / cheaper) solutions?

2) GPRS data counter. This is so elementary it's just not funny. WTF was Palm thinking, not including this? I'm on a limited GPRS data plan, with a max of 500KB, and if I go over it's literally megabucks - $0.03/KB, or $30/MB. I've researched the Net, and neither KBTracker 0.5 or TrafficStat 4.1 work (counters are at zero after data transmission). Given that the programmers of these programs are either defunct or worse, I have no hope of there being an updated version. This is another biggie for me, as I cannot deal with huge surprise bills at the end of the month. Can someone recommend a solution?

3) I don't SMS, but it seems that there's no SMS counter either.

Otherwise, the Treo is working well. I have no problems with BT between my headset and the Palm, but I have yet to figure out how to do a Bluetooth Hotsync (Doing a WiFi hotsync with the Tungsten C was really convenient). I also want to try getting Bluetooth Internet Connection Sharing up so I don't go through GPRS if there's a Bluetooth access point / computer nearby.

However, if I don't resolve the two biggie issues above, I think I might have to return this to Palm under the 30 day refund. So I ask the collective TreoCentral mind: help me love my Treo!
    1. I just added mine to favorites, bummer but works fine. I was able to upgrade my list from my 650.

2. I have unlimited, is it possible you provider has a way to check it?

3. Does your provider supply a way to check this? With T-Mobile I can just do a #674# [send] and it retrieves my SMS counts from them.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    1. For the frequently accessed stuff like voicemail, yes it's in the favorites. However, quite a large bulk of my contacts list contains extensions.

2. I'm with Fido, in Canada. We have a GSM monopoly here, with 1 company owning ALL GSM towers in the country, so we get fleeced. In fact, after having "billing by the second" in 1997-2002, ALL of Canada is now "billed by the minute". But to answer your question, there's no way to check it via the provider.

3. no way as well.
  4.    #4  
    Regarding #2, I've found a new calls/gprs data counter that's really good and (I think) is apparently free: Smaato Cost 2.0.

http://www.smaato.com/cost.php

I've tested it on my 680 - it actually works!

It's a beautiful program, from a new company with no track record. It's a little too pretty and full-featured to be freeware. Looking at the company site, it looks like it's ad-supported. In addition, within 28 days you must "register" with the company, giving them your IMEI and email in return for a serial.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    They also make an RSS reader-- also free: WTF? Surely they plan on shoving ads everywhere eventually. Anyway, free is nice, but who knows what's down the road.
    More info:
    http://www.tapsns.com/fire/participa...galleryid=3449
    http://www.tapsns.com/fire/participa...galleryid=3379
  6.    #6  
    I've been using Smaato Cost for the last 12 hours, and I think I know where they're going to put the ads (one of the places) - after a call, there's an option to have a popup that tells you the duration of the call. However, this takes up 25% of the space, and currently there's nothing above it. I'm guessing this is where the ads will eventually end up. Right now there's an option to turn this popup off, but I'm guessing this won't happen when the ads arrive.

BTW, the GPRS counter seems to be quite accurate, comparing the readings from doing the same thing on the built-in data counter on my K750i.

Free is good, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. Personally I need a GPRS counter more than I loathe ads, as long as these ads are not refreshed via GPRS.
  7.    #7  
    Here's an inelegant solution on #1: apparently, the SIM Book app handles pauses correctly for contacts stored on the SIM card. However, if I move everyone in my contacts DB with office extensions into the SIM, then I can't synchronize with Outlook.
    Thanks for this forum! I just called Palmone Singapore/Asia to give some feedback about this lack of standard phone features in Palm's latest smartphone . Having used a first gen tungsten w for 5 years, I am astounded that Palm excluded these (all available in ANY phone)"
    - phone mins used
    - sms and mms and gprs counters
    - phone profiles

Thanks for that lead on Smaato! I just downloaded it and well yet to see any popups. To save my data $, if or when those ads popups occur I will just disable the gprs but setting a 2nd bogus gprs account that will not connect successfully.

Anybody knows any phone profile software? I use killsound and Noalarms to try cutting sounds at key times of the day like at meeting and/or when sleeping. Still testing them out.. nothing beats a simple Profile software that at a quick key puts your pdaphone e.g. into cinema mode - on silent, but vibrate.

Hey these features are BASIC phone features. Whats up with Palmone? Their competitors has all these plus wifi for the same price. Does Palm ever wonder why their market share has been slipping? Yes lots of apps and a more stable system (everybody knows windows sucks), but why oh why does Palm want to antagonise their customer base and come out with new products that lacks???

My call to Palmone asia was quite frustrating - the service rep didnt know any of these I talked about. And could not refer me to any site to rectify the issue - not even a pay site. And did not know the number of their customer svc rep.. "as this was not a technical support issue". Nor the name or contact of the country or regional manager in charge. hello?

When I went to the shopping arcade to find a pda phone, all the sale reps there told me that Palm has no market: it was impossible finding even third party accessories for my tungsten w. Years ago, Palm was THE pda. Not any more. The substance of this post is one good reason.

Anyone know any good lead on a good phone profile software.. that is free.
    (my email to the Palm management is that Palm should come out with an upgrade foc for treo users that rectifies these basic but lacking features). Any support from you at treocentral forum there? numbers matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstuff View Post
    Regarding #2, I've found a new calls/gprs data counter that's really good and (I think) is apparently free: Smaato Cost 2.0.

http://www.smaato.com/cost.php

I've tested it on my 680 - it actually works!

It's a beautiful program, from a new company with no track record. It's a little too pretty and full-featured to be freeware. Looking at the company site, it looks like it's ad-supported. In addition, within 28 days you must "register" with the company, giving them your IMEI and email in return for a serial.
    Sounds good..but he download page is incomplete - after I choose "program" and "OS", the "language" and "installation on" options have nothing and there is no download button! Maybe I should try it in IE (perish the thought)!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstuff View Post
    1) I cannot get the Treo to dial extensions from my contacts database properly. I've tried using the comma, "p", "w", but the contacts app just strips them all out. I have a lot of clients in different companies behind extensions, so this is a biggie for me. I know the "favorites" speed dial list can do this, but I cannot import my entire contacts DB there. I am aware of TakePhone 7 beta, but I don't need all its other features. Are there better (free / cheaper) solutions?
    You can try CallCards - allows for dialing extensions, and handle call cards, without the TAKEphONE GUI.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com