1.    #1  
    Are there any step by step tutorial to upgrade from the treo 600 to 700P? I tried searching and found some pretty general instructions that I didn't understand very well. So I wanted to fin dany specific/step-by-step info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

12/17 Update:

1. tried Perry's method, call log didn't transfer. Waldo's full on transfer from 600 to 700p worked.

2. So, using sort of a combined method. I took the backup folder of all the 600 (suppose to be name "backup old" per Perry, and took out the programs and things that are obviously associated with those particular programs and then synched them over. Looks all good right.

Any Expert on the Palm business think this might still be an issue? My final step will be creating a new backup folder once again(renaming all the others ones I had) and have 700p make this new backup folder and hopefully that would be the new kosher 700p style of making a new back up folder. I think its a pretty sufficient solution.

Any Opinions?
    Last edited by lazybummm; 12/18/2006 at 12:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    this is the most confusing thread i have ever read. sorry, but you need to explain youself lazybumm.
    I don't believe you searched very well. Almost every recent post by Perry has info on how to upgrade. In any case, look at the FAQ's at the top of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I don't believe you searched very well. Almost every recent post by Perry has info on how to upgrade. In any case, look at the FAQ's at the top of this forum.
    LOL, am I that much of a stick in the mud?
    Not a stick in the mud...just consistent.

To the OP Try searching for "clean install" .
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Okay, you shamed me into it:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129710

Cheers, Perry.
  7.    #7  
    I've read the thread above, and it confuses me, I'll look again. My main concern is the Call Log, I want to keep it, that is why I got another Treo. I didn't quite understand the instructions...I'll read it again, and see what happens...sorry about the confusing thread!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Lazybummm

I upgraded from a 600 to a 700p without any prior knowledge (i.e. did not read these forums) and here's what I did:

- Installed new drivers and Hotsync for 700p in a computer that already had the old drivers and hotsync for the 600.
    - Palm's software detected I was upgrading from an older device. It asked me what profile I wanted to set my 700p to, I chose my regular profile exact same I had with my 600.
    - Everything installed Ok on the PC. When prompted for the first sync with the 700p, the software asked me if I wanted to install everything I had on my 600 or just do a basic install without apps. I did the stupid thing of installing everything.
    - I sync'ed and all of my PIM data made it through. I use Outlook BTW.
    - I had reset problems with legacy apps, namely Avantgo, Phone Technician and something else I don't remember now. I ended up manually deleting them and re-installing them one by one. Only Avantgo survived, the other apps were not compatible.
    - My Call-log made it unscathed. In my 700p I have all records of phonecalls I made while I had my old 600, there was nothing special I did to make this happen.

Something worth mentioning, the install froze and I had to re-start everything but that was because my PC had issues non-related to Palm's installation, namely Antivirus freaked when using the install CD.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I've gone playing finally, after wrestling with installing the palm 4.14 and sync software on my hogged down computer for days its finally working...kept getting sync20.dll error among other things.

Anyhow, my xp needs its annual enema.

So, I followed Perry's method and instructions, the log log didn't transfer, I tried manually copying the phonecalldb file to the new back up folder from the old one thinking it might do the trick, nope it just replaces.

However, when I did a full backup with all the old programs and settings, everything came through fine, sure, some of the programs didn't work, but everything was pretty much identical to what I had before...dilemma now, what to do...any suggestions?
  10.    #10  
    After trying Perry's method and not succesfully transferrig the call log here is what I did:

Using sort of a combined method. I took the backup folder of all the 600 (suppose to be name "backup old" per Perry, and took out most of the programs (left the things that I know are compatible with the 700P, like the treo alarm) and things that are obviously associated with those particular programs and then synched them over. Looks all good so far.

Any Expert on the Palm business think this might still be a problem down the road?

My final step will be creating a new backup folder once again(renaming all the others ones I had) and have 700p make this new backup folder and hopefully that would be the new kosher 700p style of making a new back up folder. I think its a pretty sufficient solution.

Any Opinions?
    Found this thread kind of late, but this would have been a good place to start:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(12926)

Of course you won't find any advice for 3rd party apps there, but as for old and new folders, porting PIM data, etc. it's pretty good stuff!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p