View Poll Results: Which one would u choose?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • i.Trek M5

0 0%
  • Holux GPSlim236

5 20.00%
  • Globalsat bt-359

14 56.00%
  • Other...

6 24.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is pretty much the new Talk about...which one, which on....

after reading around the forum and searching the three most common ones i have found in no specific order:

i.trek M5

http://www.semsons.com/im5blgpsrewa.html

Holux GPSlim236

http://www.holux.com/product/search....el=grandsonson

Globalsat bt-359

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=134

Anyone more educated have any comments pushing one product over the other...this would help many people who are looking into getting a GPS receiver with SIRF III technology

Thanks !
  2.    #2  
    ~ Bump ~
    How about Seidio or Garmin?
    I have the Emtac S3 BTGPS. Works great with my Treo 650 and TomTom 5. I havent used in a while because i now have a dedicated GPS device in the car.

I liked that the Emtac came with a adapter to power the Treo 650.
  5.    #5  
    seidio products are way over priced !!
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    seidio products are way over priced !!
    And who else has a car cradle that includes the GPS receiver, re-charges my Treo, and provides a connection to the car speakers? I don't want a seperate receiver that uses BlueTooth to connect to my 700p.

Interesting that your "Poll" to determine what people like and use eliminates two popular choices before the user even votes.

John
    The BT receiver is only one of 3 elements that need to be considered in any GPS system:

1. BT GPS receiver
    2. Map database
    3. Software to integrate 1 and 2 and provide a user interface

For most users, I think a bundled system containing all 3 will be the most practical. The two main players in the bundled area are TomTom Navigator 6 and Garmin GPS 10 (non-SIRF III) or (soon...) Mobile 10 (SIRF-III). The general consensus seems to be that TomTom is better with respect to 1 and 3 whereas Garmin is better with respect to 2, but the offerings are changing constantly so one has to evaluate at the time of purchase.

Also, TomTom allows you to use their 2 + 3 with any GPS receiver but uses your Treo (or whatever device) as a hardware key, which makes it a better choice with regard to 1 because you're not tied to buying any one manufacturer's hardware. Garmin uses their receiver as a hardware key, which means you're stuck with their receivers, but you can use your 1 + 2 + 3 bundle with as many Palm, WM5 or Windows devices as you want. Which is better? Depends on how you plan to use your device.

Is the latest SIRF III receiver necessary? I can almost always get a perfectly good signal from my GPS 10 which is certainly not the latest and best receiver.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    The BT receiver is only one of 3 elements that need to be considered in any GPS system:

1. BT GPS receiver
    2. Map database
    3. Software to integrate 1 and 2 and provide a user interface

For most users, I think a bundled system containing all 3 will be the most practical. The two main players in the bundled area are TomTom Navigator 6 and Garmin GPS 10 or (soon...) Mobile 10. The general consensus seems to be that TomTom is better with respect to 1 and 3 whereas Garmin is better with respect to 2, but the offerings are changing constantly so one has to evaluate at the time of purchase.

Also, TomTom allows you to use their 2 + 3 with any GPS receiver but uses your Treo (or whatever device) as a hardware key, which makes it a better choice with regard to 1 because you're not tied to buying any one manufacturer's hardware. Garmin uses their receiver as a hardware key, which means you're stuck with their receivers, but you can use your 1 + 2 + 3 bundle with as many Palm, WM5 or Windows devices as you want. Which is better? Depends on how you plan to use your device.
    I kinda like how you broke it down but next time add a warning (get coffee then read post) it was fun looking at the 1+2+3 concept

another question about the garmin is what happens when the gps unit goes dead or flys out the window etc what about the "key" then??
  9.    #9  
    i am getting the tomtom6 software, was just looking for the best one in a specific price range, under $100 GPS receiver, i understnd that that seidio does offer allot in one bundle but it is with a price tag, u can purchase a mount for the car from ebay about 30 dollars which has a speaker and charges your treo, might also have an audio port if u wanted to connect car speakers, the only thing it doesnt have is the built in GPS, so yes there are options but this thread it stating that u have everything else and u want to pick up JUST a GPS receiver with SIRF III, which would u pick or have heard good things about

Appreciate all the comments
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    ... what happens when the gps unit goes dead or flys out the window etc what about the "key" then??
    Good question. Garmin lets you register your map DVD to not one but two GPSs at no extra charge, probably because of the scenarios hofs1 mentions. I lost my first GPS unit (grrr...) and had to use my "free" registration for the replacement GPS unit. For the 3rd and subsequent GPSs linked to your DVD you have to pay, but not as much as you would pay for a "fresh" map DVD.
    I'm surprised you didnt include this on the list http://www.semsons.com/robtgpsxrsii.html

It's the same one Seidio sells but they rebrand it with their own label.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I'm surprised you didnt include this on the list http://www.semsons.com/robtgpsxrsii.html

wow , ya i def like that one

a little on the more pricey side but still under a $100

will have to try and compare the specs to the other ones

thanks so much for bringing that one up to my attention
    I bought the Royaltek over the Globalsat 388 because of it's battery life. My coworker has the 388 and size wise its smaller in height. But the Royaltek gets signal quicker than the 388 that my coworker is using. To extend the battery life when not in use, I can flip the battery around so the contacts dont touch. I flip it back only when I need the GPS. When you buy the OEM Royaltek brand you get a wall and a car charger. I got it through www.buygpsnow.com. Siedio rebrands the shell with their logo but if you open up the battery compartement you will see the Royaltek logo. Also I believe you do not get a car charger from them. I havent checked lately however. Overall I'm happy with this receiver.
  14. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Which is the best deal for under $75? The closer to $50 the better. I just want one with a SIRF III chipset and either something that goes in the cigarette lighter or will last 8 hours on batteries.
  15.    #15  
    bump
    I recommend Holux GPSlim 240.

It is the size of a stick of gum (but shorter), thickness of maybe 5 sticks of gum. VERY good quality and looks expensive, but it's not @ $80 on Amazon.

Comes with a car cradle that is pretty decent. Also comes with a car charger.

It works perfectly with my 650 and TomTom 6.

Research it, I believe there isn't a GPS Receiver that is smaller. Battery life good, I can't really find anything bad to note.

--Also says SiRF Star III on the box, though I have no idea what that means
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Leaning towards the GSat bt 359. It seems to have the most success in WM used along with Google Maps - based on what I've read on HoFo and eslewhere...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
  18.    #18  
    i was looking at the Holux GPSlim 240 vs the 236 (bigger one)

i have a palm OS with my phone, trying to make the decison, the holux and globalstat seem to be the two most popular ones
    If you are using a WM based device I would recommend this one, http://www.semsons.com/ib737blgps32.html . It has auto on/off capabilities and from what I understand it's 32 operating channels is comparable to the SIRF III that is so desirable.

heimlich
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post

To clarify...there is one other major difference in our receiver. It has almost three times the battery life, (17 hours instead of 6) as the 2100.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast