1.    #1  
    There are these 2 music files that came with ptunes. "Getting Started" & "Original". I tried to delete them, but it does not let me. I tried to delete with FileZ, but same results. How do I get these files off the phone?
    I am wondering this to, it is really starting to **** me off!!!!!!!
    I don't have a 680. But if PTunes came on the 680 like it did on the 700p, you can't delete these two songs.

Because they are on the rom. Users don't have access to the rom. Only the ram.

I hate this too! I want to only see the stuff in the list that I actually use.
    I'm a chick who enjoys the finer things in life
    palm is the boss, they loaded them in ROM, so u are beat unless u perform a rom flash and design your own

i would also like to remove versamail from my sprint treo 700p...
  6.    #6  
    =(

Aw, that sucks. Do these files count as space being taken up under the user memory? If so, then that's about 1mb being wasted.
    No, these files don't consume any memory that you would be able to use. They are in ROM, and don't affect your RAM at all. The only downside (and it is disgusting) is that they show up in the list forever and ever.

This is one example of Palm playing Big Brother. There are others. Has anyone else noticed you can't move "Voicemail" from it's position as the #1 entry in your favourites list? There are also several favourites which cannot be deleted. I don't use my Treo for email, for example, but I'm stuck with a favourite to launch the app.

Why, Palm? Stop it. We own the device. You made it, but we own it. How hard is that to understand?
    PatrickS

Voicemail is the #1 spot because that is default setup for cellphones. On just about any phone, you hold the 1 key for about a second and it automatically dials your voicemail. It's industry standard and palm is merely conforming to what everyone expects.

As for your email example, it's a bit confusing. You can remap the mail key in preferences to activate another program and you can remap the startup page in the phone application. For instance mine starts on the phone keypad instead of favourites. Is that what your referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    PatrickS

Voicemail is the #1 spot because that is default setup for cellphones. On just about any phone, you hold the 1 key for about a second and it automatically dials your voicemail. It's industry standard and palm is merely conforming to what everyone expects.
    Hey bigcatny...

Thanks for this. You know, I have no problem at all with Voicemail having the #1 slot. That really doesn't bother me at all. I understand that is the standard and Palm wants to conform to it. What I do have a problem with is the user not being able to change it. Why is that necessary? What Palm appears to be saying is This is the standard and if you change it, you're so stupid you'll complain to us that it no longer satisfies the standard.. Well, I'm not stupid, and I do want to change it, despite what the cell phone industry thinks is right. Why can't I?

As for your email example, it's a bit confusing. You can remap the mail key in preferences to activate another program and you can remap the startup page in the phone application. For instance mine starts on the phone keypad instead of favourites. Is that what your referring to?
    There is a favourite which launches email. This one can be moved, but not deleted. I didn't realize that you could remap your email application to something else and then have this favourite activate the new app. But wouldn't it be better if I could just delete this favourite and then add one for the alternate program, rather than have a favourite entitled "email" which doesn't start email?

It's just totally unnecessary. Palm is treating us as idiots who can't figure out the simplest of changes that we make our very selves, yet they expect us to buy expensive smartphones with oodles of complex capability. Very frustrating to this Treo aficionado.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Those two tracks in there is burgeoning on being absolutely lametarded.
  11.    #11  
    Patrick, I agree. Although I have no problem with Voicemail set to the first slot...We should be able to have the choice of changing the #1 favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Patrick, I agree. Although I have no problem with Voicemail set to the first slot...We should be able to have the choice of changing the #1 favorite.
    Just a little follow-up on this issue. I've found that it is possible to delete the "un-deletable" favourites using the exact same trick that Bill Gamble showed us how to use on the Treo 650. I suspect that, with a little study, I could use a similar technique to make the Voicemail entry movable, but I haven't bothered to try that yet.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I also cant't stand having to listen to those two tracks. I just ended up creating a new playlist, selecting all my music and then deleting those two songs from my playlist. Now I can listen to my music without having to get annoyed by those two tracks.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Just a little follow-up on this issue. I've found that it is possible to delete the "un-deletable" favourites using the exact same trick that Bill Gamble showed us how to use on the Treo 650. I suspect that, with a little study, I could use a similar technique to make the Voicemail entry movable, but I haven't bothered to try that yet.
    I've tried setting the attributes for these 2 mp3's to "hidden", but it doesn't let me alter the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I've tried setting the attributes for these 2 mp3's to "hidden", but it doesn't let me alter the files.
    You know, this problem has been solved, at least for applications. There are a number of tools, like Obfuscate, ROMHide and SharkROM, which make ROM apps disappear. They work by installing a small file into RAM with the exact same characteristics (e.g., name, creator ID) as the ROM file, then setting the hidden bit on the ones in RAM. The way PalmOS works, if there is the same file in both ROM and RAM, it is assumed that the one in RAM is newer and so takes precedence. This effectively masks the existence of the one in ROM altogether.

I wonder if some enterprising author out there can extend this pattern to work for non-apps?

Can you hear me, Tyler? Dmitry? Alex? Shadowmite? ....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PatrickS; 12/17/2006 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added ROMHide attachment / link
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Yes, this works on the 680 too. I tried it a few days ago and was pleased to be able to rid myself of the Voicemail entry in the first Favorites slot. It also released the "e" key (also known as the "1" key for Voicemail) for me to assign it as a Quick Key for another app.

Just one word of warning, make sure that you write down the phone number from the Voicemail Favorites entry before deleting it. If you want to create another Favorites entry for Voicemail further down the list, you will need to re-enter that phone number.