Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I upgraded to a Cingular 680 from my Sprint 650 specifically to get access to international GSM coverage. The 680 works very well and I've had no difficulty transferring all of my data and applications from the 650.

However, I have one annoying problem that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere in the forum. From time to time, my 680 loses network connectivity (voice) and displays gibberish in the upper left corner of the phone application where it would normally say "Cingular". The gibberish is a bunch of extended characters (stars, diamonds, strange shapes). If you turn the phone off and back on, the gibberish goes away and is replaced by "Network Search". After some period, this times out and says "No Service". Mysteriously, phone service is restored after a random interval (minutes to hours) and I'm back to 4 bars.

I had read in the PC Mag review that there were some network stack issues. I also found "Reset Netlib" which is supposed to help with a similar problem but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone have experience with this problem?
    I have seen this happened twice to me. I will try theat app if it happens again.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    That's the exactly same problem I have. The only way to get the signal back that works is to do a soft reset. This ALWAYS happens when I lose the signal when going through a tunnel, or using elevators. The signal is lost, then all the symptoms you mention happen.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have noticed this myself. So far it has happened twice in the last two days. After a soft reset, things work as normal for a period of time. No clue on what the cause of this is though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing1 View Post
    That's the exactly same problem I have. The only way to get the signal back that works is to do a soft reset. This ALWAYS happens when I lose the signal when going through a tunnel, or using elevators. The signal is lost, then all the symptoms you mention happen.
    Weird...I go in and out of service quite a bit (no-thanks to MARTA and their "contract" with T-Mobile ) and have yet to see this happen.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    I have noticed this myself. So far it has happened twice in the last two days. After a soft reset, things work as normal for a period of time. No clue on what the cause of this is though.
    happened to me too. did a hard reset and properly installed apps.

it started happening after I started using my prior copy of backupbuddy on my card.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Finally, people with the same problem...I should have posted earlier rather than lurking (new user as of today).

I have seen the identical problem as described on one of my two 680's (myself and wife). The jibberesh / wingdings / arabic symbols replacing the Cingular name has been happening for two weeks and has gotten progressively more frequent. The problem happened on mine withing a day or two of getting it. I intentionally have waited to add a single application or sync mine or my wife's to our computer to see if I had any issues with phone operation, so I can rule out 3rd party software or a computer sync causing this issue. It happened every other day at first, then increased in frequency to a daily and eventually a multiple times/ day issue. It also started initally at work in a very, very low signal area but then as it increased in frequency happened in a varitey of signal strenth areas at many locations throughout the area. As someone else noted, powering on and off (requires at least two cycles of on and off and always hangs for a minute or two during on/off cycle of phone) does correct the problem. However, I quickly mastered removing the back cover and pulling the battery to do a soft reset for a much quicker recovery---still a pain. I did a hard reset and the problem did get better for a few days, but over the course of a week increased in frequency from every other day to multiple times per day as happened before the hard reset. I called Cingular and got connected to their PDA dept and they had me do a hard reset (I already had) but they had not heard of this as an issue yet. He told me to return the phone to get a new one from my Cingular store if the issue persisted.

Since I own two of these devices and it was only happening on one of them, and not a single person on this forum was having the same problem, I thought I must have a screwed up radio device in my 680 and was just going to return the defective one for a good.

However, I did think that it might be my SIM card causing the problem, so before heading an hour away to the store where I got mine in holday traffic to exchange, I swapped my SIM with my wife's SIM (we both have 680's with brand new SIMs from Cingular). Within the day, my "problem" 680 phone with her SIM was having the issue---good---had to be hardware related in my mind. However, her "good" 680 phone with my SIM began having the problem within 24 hours...now we were both screwed! So, the problem had followed the SIM to a perfect 680 previously without one "jibberish" phone issue for 2 weeks and continued on the problem 680 hardware even when her SIM without previous problems was used!

I went to the store and had them put in two new SIMs and did a hard reset on both phones (I did not do a hard reset when swapping the SIMs before). If it happens again, I am going to get 2 new phones.

24 hours later and no problems still...but I am not confidant. I'll follow up soon to help the others having this problem know the status since I have an ideal troubleshooting situation with two phones and no apps/computer sync at the time.

Sure am glad I we are carrying around our old 600's for data/calendar or else I would have thrown these into the lake doing all these hard resets.
    ok...this is really annoying. woke up this morning and this was a problem again. Is this only cingular?

i had done a clean install and am stil seeing this. what is causing it.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Quote Originally Posted by CulpK View Post
    Finally, people with the same problem...I should have posted earlier rather than lurking (new user as of today).

I .....
    Let me know if it happens again! Also do you have date and time setting from network or manual?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I'm also having this problem since a couple of hours ago. It can't find any network and after a couple of minutes displays the message "No service". I'm with unlocked GSM. I tried soft resets and two hard resets, but there is no way I'm getting a network. I just tried the reset-netlib.prc but it doesn't help.

Can anybody help me with this? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor View Post
    ok...this is really annoying. woke up this morning and this was a problem again. Is this only cingular?

i had done a clean install and am stil seeing this. what is causing it.
    I have only heard of this on Cingular right now. For me, it usually happens every other day.

Any T-Mobile users having this problem?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor View Post
    Let me know if it happens again! Also do you have date and time setting from network or manual?
    Mine is setting from the network.
    It's getting even worse, now if I turn on the radio, the Treo resets. The System error log displays:

A reset was caused while running "<unknown application>":

HandlerState.cpp, Line:1378, Unable to reset the radio (PWRON)
    There must be something wrong with the software that interacts with the carrier's network.

I'm just curious... Are any of you able to manually select the GSM band? For instance, when I go to "Select Network" and choose 850/1900 or 900/1800, from the "Search Bands" drop down menu and tap "OK", it ends up switching back to "Auto". This may or may not be another glitch, but my 650 would definitely remain on the band I'd select. Can you each test this out?

I believe we're going to be needing a patch or ROM update soon.
    I can select the band from the "Select network screen". I can set the band to "Auto", "900/1800" or "850/1900".

The radio sets this option back to "Auto". It also seem to hang when searching for networks as the device gets non responsove for a while.

I'm getting just switched it to the "900/1800" band and now it hangs on the phone screen displaying "Please wait".

EDIT: After 5 minutes it now displays: "No operators available"
    I said it just before, and I'll say it again:

I believe we're going to be needing a patch or ROM update soon.

Everyone, please test this and report your findings. This will help us in bringing these issues to Palm's attention.
    Actually... I need it now.
    It seems something is really bad with my radio firmware. The phone info screen displays only zero's.

Take a look on this screenshot: Phoneinfo
    Last edited by bluevoice; 12/10/2006 at 02:20 PM.
    I don't know what's wrong with my device. This morning it worked and I had a signal for about 30 minutes. After that the simptoms came back and I'm with "No service" all over again. Any help would be really appreciated.
    I posted yesterday and had at that time gotten new SIM cards from Cingular and when leaving the store with the new SIMs did hard resets to both of my 680's.

The gibberish where Cingular is and non-funtioning phone symptom HAS NOT returned now for 48+ hours on both of my 680's. I will follow up in a day or two to let others know if the solution was that simple and is still working.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast