Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    We're Chicagoans, and most of the time in the Joliet to Homewood (south suburban) region when the 680 pulls a gibberish on us.

I do think it has something to do with cellular traffic, not just the Palm phone itself.
    I lived in Flossmoor for awhile...

The more you guys talk about Chicago, the more I miss it...

Has anyone been able to find the 3021 SIM cards lately?? Are they some kind of "limited edition" card now?
    I don't get the problem often. But on Saturday, it happened 3 or 4 times. But nothing since then. WTF! Cingular/Palm needs to overcome their collective case of OptiRectumitis and fix this! For those of you that don't know, that's the disease where they can't see because they have their heads up there asses.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I don't get the problem often. But on Saturday, it happened 3 or 4 times. But nothing since then. WTF! Cingular/Palm needs to overcome their collective case of OptiRectumitis and fix this! For those of you that don't know, that's the disease where they can't see because they have their heads up there asses.
    If these problems were rare occurences with only a handful of users, that would be one thing...but I see the same thing manifested in multi-page threads on almost every Treo-specific forum on the web. Obviously, it is a problem that has effected...or is still effecting a large portion of the Treo 680 community.

I don't hear the same issues coming from T-Mobile or other provider users...but only from Cingular ones (might be wrong here). So, clearly it is a Cingular problem. Either there is something amiss with the Cingular software tweaking...or the Palm Treo 680 doesn't play nice with the Cingular network.

But...I agree that Cingular/AT&T and Palm need to get together and get a handle on this.
    I remember when the 650 first came out, ATT was changing over to Cingular and their were complaints similar to these. Could it be the towers switching over?
    My situation is a bit unusual, but suggests that the problem is not related to Cingular SIM cards. In January I bought a Cingular 680 in the U.S. It has been unlocked since I live and work overseas and normally use a foreign SIM card. About a week after I got my 680, while I was still in the U.S. using my Cingular SIM card, the gibberish problem started appearing. A few days later I returned home and put my foreign SIM card in the phone. I used it for about 5 weeks in three different countries without any problems. This week, twice I've had gibberish replace the name of my local GSM service -- exactly the same symptoms everyone else describes with Cingular. I've resolved the problem both times with a combination of soft resets by removing the battery, removing the SIM card, operating the 680 briefly without the SIM card and with the radio off, and reseating the SIM card and turning the radio on. I'm not sure which of these particular pieces of voodo was responsible for correcting the problem, but sure hope that Palm and/or Cingular can correct the problem. My experience with a foreign SIM card suggests that the problem is not with Cingular's SIM card, but I've still got a Cingular-branded 680 and there could be a problem related to their software implementation of the 680. It would be very interesting to know if anyone with a non-Cingular, originally unlocked Treo 680 has ever experienced the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewain2000 View Post
    It would be very interesting to know if anyone with a non-Cingular, originally unlocked Treo 680 has ever experienced the problem.
    If I'm not mistaken...it seems that every complaint of this problem has been with people with Cingular-branded 680's. It really would not suprise me at all if we found that the Cingular-influenced software that replaced the original Palm software that was to blame for these and other glitches.
    I bought a 680 last friday and it has happened to me 3 times. Each time I took the battery out to correct the problem. Even with the problem, it's still better than dealing with a WM5 Smartphone.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewain2000 View Post
    My situation is a bit unusual, but suggests that the problem is not related to Cingular SIM cards. In January I bought a Cingular 680 in the U.S. It has been unlocked since I live and work overseas and normally use a foreign SIM card. About a week after I got my 680, while I was still in the U.S. using my Cingular SIM card, the gibberish problem started appearing. A few days later I returned home and put my foreign SIM card in the phone. I used it for about 5 weeks in three different countries without any problems. This week, twice I've had gibberish replace the name of my local GSM service -- exactly the same symptoms everyone else describes with Cingular. I've resolved the problem both times with a combination of soft resets by removing the battery, removing the SIM card, operating the 680 briefly without the SIM card and with the radio off, and reseating the SIM card and turning the radio on. I'm not sure which of these particular pieces of voodo was responsible for correcting the problem, but sure hope that Palm and/or Cingular can correct the problem. My experience with a foreign SIM card suggests that the problem is not with Cingular's SIM card, but I've still got a Cingular-branded 680 and there could be a problem related to their software implementation of the 680. It would be very interesting to know if anyone with a non-Cingular, originally unlocked Treo 680 has ever experienced the problem.
    None of those really resolve the problem. Resetting, taking the battery out, or just waiting patiently will all make the problem go away. But it will come back.

Could you let us know what SIM models you are using so I can add it to the list?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I bought a 680 last friday and it has happened to me 3 times. Each time I took the battery out to correct the problem. Even with the problem, it's still better than dealing with a WM5 Smartphone.
    Could you post the SIM model, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    None of those really resolve the problem. Resetting, taking the battery out, or just waiting patiently will all make the problem go away. But it will come back.

Could you let us know what SIM models you are using so I can add it to the list?
    The SIM card that I am currently using (and which was in my Treo when the problem re-appeared this week) is a foreign SIM, and has no model or any other number at all. The Cingular SIM I used when I first bought the Treo from Cingular is one of the "bad" models already listed on the forum. However, the fact that I've had the problem without any Cingular SIM card in the phone at all strongly suggests that the SIM model is not the problem, or at least not the entire problem. If in fact this issue has never appeared on a 680 except for those that are Cingular-branded, I think it's pretty clear that the problem is with Cingular-specific system software.
    We have 2 Treo 680s in our household. One is an unlocked model using a 2G Cingular SIM card transferred from a 650. The other is a Cingular branded model using a 3G non-fireball SIM. We've had both units since the first day they were available for sale (late November for the Cingular branded unit and early December for the unlocked device). The unlocked model has NEVER had the gibberish problem. The Cingular branded model suffered from the gibberish problem generally a few times a week. However, the gibberish problem stopped on its own about a month ago and has not returned (keeping fingers crossed).

I had contemplated swapping the SIM cards for a test, but the two devices have different data plans and email clients which cannot be mixed and matched (grandfathered unlimited Media Works & Snappermail vs. PDA connect for Blackberry & Blackberry Connect).

I'm inclined to believe that this issue is some type of incompatibility problem between the Cingular branded firmware and certain aspects of the Cingular network. The gibberish problem was much worse in some locations, and now it seems to have completely disappeared without ever changing SIM cards or having the Treo manually re-registered on the network.
    I have an Palm branded unlocked 680 bought from Palm about 90 days ago, using an old ATT sim, works perfectly on Cingular, never had the Gibberish problem. When working overseas (Vietnam), local sim works fine as well.
    I just spoke to "Denise Jenkins" of Cingular. She said they are aware of the problem, and it appears only with Cingular 680s because the model of the 680 made for Cingular is actually slightly different than for other carriers such as Verizon. Palm is working on the problem but no ETA yet on the resolution. They are no longer replacing phones because they know that all the 680 Cingular phones have this issue.
    I just spoke to "Denise Jenkins" of Cingular. She said they are aware of the problem, and it appears only with Cingular 680s because the model of the 680 made for Cingular is actually slightly different than for other carriers such as Verizon. Palm is working on the problem but no ETA yet on the resolution. They are no longer replacing phones because they know that all the 680 Cingular phones have this issue.
    Who's Denise Jenkins? Is she a CSR or a real Cingular big-dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Who's Denise Jenkins? Is she a CSR or a real Cingular big-dog?
    Dunno, but what she did was far better. She transferred me to a tech support rep at Palm named "Steve" but who I suspect was actually Rajiv or Anup. . . anyway he told me that the software fix is being tested now and they are planning on posting on the Palm website by mid-April.
    Hopefully that means that they no longer have as severe a case of optirectumitis.. Anyways, wouldn't another solution be to call upon the powers of the Shadowmite to hack into Cingular branded T-680s and to replace it with unbranded T-680 firmware?
    It may be more than just firmware, the Cingular rep pointed out there are also small hardware differences between the various versions of the 680 re: SIM card s so the firmware from one model might not work for Cingular.
    Do you mean slightly different between the Cingular and unlocked versions? There are no other carriers for the 680...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Do you mean slightly different between the Cingular and unlocked versions? There are no other carriers for the 680...
    There is also the Rogers Wireless version.
    There is also the Rogers Wireless version.
    But he said Verizon and that's not even GSM...