Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Has anyone with Palm Branded unlocked 680 seen this with either Cingular or T-mobile service?

Since I got my unlocked 680, on T-Mobile, December 1st, I've never had this problem.
    As of today I have checked 4 stores and the last 2 have only had the 73000 O 4021. No 3021s that I have found. I am quitting and waiting for a firmware fix.

See my previous posts on this thread for other adventures leading up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    My parents live northwest of Chicago and there are at least 10 stores within a five mile radius of their house . There's bound to be some 3021s out there somewhere, Chicago has everything...
    Sorry
    I agree. I see the SIM card as a workaround/hack only. It is possible that the garbage code that causes the freeze only gets invoked in connection with certain SIM cards. The SIM card would be part of the invoking environment but not the problem itself.

I don't see this as a Sim card issue.
    Why haven't we seen this problem on our old phones (those with previous Treos) when we used the same Sim card? Has anyone with Palm Branded unlocked 680 seen this with either Cingular or T-mobile service? Note that the unlocked has a different firmware.
    It has to be related to the Cingular Firmware and/or the Cingular network.

Anyone remember the 650 freezing issue whenever the signal got bad? Got fixed with firmware.
    We've seen this 680 gibberish issue with all kinds of Sim cards, but it's mainly been on Cingular branded phones.
    I don't see this as a Sim card issue.
    Why haven't we seen this problem on our old phones (those with previous Treos) when we used the same Sim card? Has anyone with Palm Branded unlocked 680 seen this with either Cingular or T-mobile service? Note that the unlocked has a different firmware.
    It has to be related to the Cingular Firmware and/or the Cingular network.

Anyone remember the 650 freezing issue whenever the signal got bad? Got fixed with firmware.
    We've seen this 680 gibberish issue with all kinds of Sim cards, but it's mainly been on Cingular branded phones.
    I honestly don't care what the root cause is at the moment, a work-around would make me happy. In an ideal world Palm and Cingular would race to find a solution, but in the real world their reps will deny knowledge and I will drive to multiple stores looking for the elusive 3021...

But you are right, it probably is a stupid bug in Cingular's firmware, possibly triggered somehow by a certain type of SIM.

BTW...

Anyone else get really weird text messages during the gibberish issues? It's happened to me twice now. The last message is from "No Caller ID" and the message is blank and the date is 12/31/31. 1931? 2031? 31AD? I don't know. Also, I've twice received messages from Cingular during the gibberish, and they get saved on the SIM and then my phone asks me if I want to remove the message from the SIM. Maybe the gibberish causes the message issue, seems unlikely it's the other way around. I should have a friend text me during my next gibberish spell...
    So you all remember we got a 64K 4020 card, put it in the phone, and the gibberish still occurred?

Well on Tuesday I did 2 things. I had a long talk with a Cingular rep who seemed to know what I was talking about.

He recommend I also do a hard reset. I did that on Tuesday, retaining the 64K 4020 SIM card.

Well, since Tuesday the phone hasn't frozen once. It had been happening daily so this is promising. I will give another status update next week.

If it is fixed, what happened?
    1. Cingular did something to their overall cellular software that fixed the problem for everyone in my area.
    2. Cingular did something just for my account at their end
    3. The hard reset was just what I needed to do in addition to changing the SIM card.

DUNNO, yet, I will post again next week to let you know if this was just a mirage.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    So you all remember we got a 64K 4020 card, put it in the phone, and the gibberish still occurred?

Well on Tuesday I did 2 things. I had a long talk with a Cingular rep who seemed to know what I was talking about.

He recommend I also do a hard reset. I did that on Tuesday, retaining the 64K 4020 SIM card.

Well, since Tuesday the phone hasn't frozen once. It had been happening daily so this is promising. I will give another status update next week.

1. Cingular did something to their overall cellular software that fixed the problem for everyone in my area.
    3. The hard reset was just what I needed to do in addition to changing the SIM card.

DUNNO, yet, I will post again next week to let you know if this was just a mirage.
    or maybe
    4. You've been lucky so far

I've gone several days with no issues, and had several issues in one day. Give it a week, then get excited. After 2 weeks I'll get excited enough to try it. Someone did mention something about cingular reps being able to "re-register" a phone or something, though... Did your rep say anything like that?

I started with a 64k 4020 and I never synced any old programs and haven't installed anything except solitare and bejewelled. It came with the camera patch, but other than that I'm basically pristine, yet I have the issue.

Random note: this weekend I had the issue way out in the middle of ranchland miles from anywhere, so I don't think it's a urban/3G thing. But then again I have no idea how to tell which areas have 3G and which don't.
    A similiar thread on treonauts has a post that says Palm knows what is causing the problem and that they should have a ROM update within the month. However, I can find no corroborating information. He says that it was an email from Palm that he got.
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    Someone did mention something about cingular reps being able to "re-register" a phone or something, though... Did your rep say anything like that?
    I actually mentioned that I had called Cingular's Tech. Services on a landline, and the very professional and friendly tech "forced the phone to re-register itself to the network" OTA. I also am using a 64k "2G" SIM that I got from my local Cingular corporate store. Since both of these things have been done...I have not had one instance of the "gibberish & no service" situation.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that was the cure...but so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I actually mentioned that I had called Cingular's Tech. Services on a landline, and the very professional and friendly tech "forced the phone to re-register itself to the network" OTA. I also am using a 64k "2G" SIM that I got from my local Cingular corporate store. Since both of these things have been done...I have not had one instance of the "gibberish & no service" situation.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that was the cure...but so far so good.
    Could you post the model number of your SIM card, please?
    Hmmmm...says 63698G 4004 on the back of it across from the pad. Is that the number you're looking for?

There is also a longer number sequence on the front of the card...
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Hmmmm...says 63698G 4004 on the back of it across from the pad. Is that the number you're looking for?

There is also a longer number sequence on the front of the card...
    That's perfect. I think the other number might be unique to your SIM.

And you're sure it's a 2G card? I'm not really sure how to tell, so I guess as long as it didn't say "3G" on it that'll do...

So, to update the list...

Bad 3G SIMs:
    73000 O 4021
    64205 O 4020

Good 3G SIMs:
    73000 G 3021

Good 2G SIMs:
    63698 G 4004

Bad 2G SIMs:
    none, rumor has it all 2G SIMs work...

So, G = Good?

And you're sure it's a 2G card?
    No, really I don't have a clue...but the Cingular rep called it a "2G" card, and I have heard it called that on other forums...so that's what I'm basing my information on.

It works, and that's all that matters to me.
    I went to the local Cingular Company Store, told them the problem, told them what I read on this forum, they gave me a new 3G SIM card. No more gibberish. All is well.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Well after a month of no problems, my gibberish came back, and now I get no service even after resetting/ my card is the 73000 4021, looks like I'm off to the cingular store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtash View Post
    I went to the local Cingular Company Store, told them the problem, told them what I read on this forum, they gave me a new 3G SIM card. No more gibberish. All is well.
    That's great news! But what is the model number of your SIM so the rest of us can solve our problem?
    That's great news! But what is the model number of your SIM so the rest of us can solve our problem?
    Not to be sarcastic...but it seems like you already have compiled a pretty complete list.
    We still have the phone freeze gibberish issue. We're giving up now, waiting for Cingular to fix the issue.

It was weird, the phone behaved for 3 days okay then it was back to the normal daily freeze-ups.

We were never able to get any of the "good" SIM cards. The one Cingular mailed us was another 73000 4021. We didn't even bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Just some info for the masses.

I've had my 680 since November...never seen this happen.....Until Saturday.

I was driving around the Chicago/Naperville area. (I'm from downstate)
    I pulled out my phone to make a call and it was all gibberish and no signal. It took 2 soft resets to get it back. (1 on the road, and 1 once I got back to the Hotel)

Here is my theory: I was in an area with a shared/rented/something tower that confused my phone. The first soft reset was still in earshot of the f-ed tower. Once I got back to the hotel, I was away from that tower and the soft reset was only able to see a non-f-ed tower and synced right back and provided service.

This has never happened to me in Chicagoland before. But this is my first trip out to Naperville with my 680. I've never had this happen downstate.

I haven't read this whole thread, so if this theory has been proposed and/or bonked. I apologize.

/ancker
    We're Chicagoans, and most of the time in the Joliet to Homewood (south suburban) region when the 680 pulls a gibberish on us.

I do think it has something to do with cellular traffic, not just the Palm phone itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    Just some info for the masses.

I've had my 680 since November...never seen this happen.....Until Saturday.

I was driving around the Chicago/Naperville area. (I'm from downstate)
    I pulled out my phone to make a call and it was all gibberish and no signal. It took 2 soft resets to get it back. (1 on the road, and 1 once I got back to the Hotel)
    /ancker