Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 242
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM680 View Post
    It's a great PDA, it's just Useless as a telephone...
    I can't understand this signature. Yes, there have been some gibberish issues (that most have gotten a handle on) & the resulting loss of service...but I have been pretty impressed with the 680 as a phone. That was a major dealbreaker for me in deciding to buy a smartphone, and this device in particular...no matter how good a PDA it was. If the phone sucked...I was out, pure and simple. And, I have found the earpiece volume, reception, signal-capture and call-quality to be right up there with some of the best mobile phones I have ever used...and I've used lots!
  2. #122  
    This issue is starting to **** me off. The last 3 times my gf has called my phone has been doing the gibberish thing, which means either the phone crashes when I try to answer her call, or it locks up for 10 seconds and then puts her on hold.

    This is with a 64k 3G SIM, and I according to Palm's website I already have the camera patch installed, yet my batteries seem to drain quickly, but that's another issue.

    Any chance this is caused by the camera patch? I will continue my hunt for another SIM...

    PS: is it normal for the phone to think for several seconds before displaying anything when you go to the camera?
  3. #123  
    There seems to be a real (or formulated) shortage of 64K "2G" SIM cards at most local Cingular stores...but there is no apparent shortage of them for sale from eBay sellers.

    Simply go to "Cell Phones & PDA's" from the home page...then click on "SIM Cards" from the next menu page...then choose "Cingular" from the choices of providers. There are many, many 64K "2G" cards for sale there. And, although they are not free...they are lots cheaper than the $25 some Cingular salespeople are charging customers for them.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    This issue is starting to **** me off. The last 3 times my gf has called my phone has been doing the gibberish thing, which means either the phone crashes when I try to answer her call, or it locks up for 10 seconds and then puts her on hold.

    This is with a 64k 3G SIM, and I according to Palm's website I already have the camera patch installed, yet my batteries seem to drain quickly, but that's another issue.

    Any chance this is caused by the camera patch? I will continue my hunt for another SIM...

    PS: is it normal for the phone to think for several seconds before displaying anything when you go to the camera?
    Are you using the 3G SIM with 73000G 3021 on the back? That seems to be the one that's working for most...
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Are you using the 3G SIM with 73000G 3021 on the back? That seems to be the one that's working for most...
    No. If I remember correctly it's a 64205 O 4020. I tried to get that one but all the local cingular store had was 73000 O 4021 which other people said doesn't work. I chose not to upgrade because my problem was infrequent and I didn't want to make it worse, but then it got worse anyway. Maybe this weekend I will try to find another store.
  6. #126  
    More than 24 hours now and the phone has been stable. Appears to have worked. Thanks everyone for your help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    Well, I just went to a Cingular store in Chicago. Told them the lie that Cingular tech support told me I needed to downgrade the card to an older flavor (it was actually you people who told me that). They just took my 73000 4021 and replaced it with a 64K 4020. I will report in a couple of days to let you know if that fixed the problem. One hour later it works fine, but it will take more time than that for the problem to appear (if it does).

    I had to visit 2 stores to find one that still had 64K cards. They are running out of those everywhere I go.
  7. #127  
    You totally misread me, but I'm too busy to get involved in a flamebait. Have a great day and thanks for your help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Ummm...jbenner, I am wondering why you are blaming anyone here (the "you people" you say "told me that") for forcing you to lie to a Cingular rep. I actually was one of the ones that posted that a Cingular Technical Services rep recommended that I go to my local Cingular store and swap SIM's. I was only recommending what worked for me. You were not told by me...or anyone else to lie to anybody. Don't try to justify your actions by shifting blame on others...I personally take great offense at that statement!

    If you wanted to be truthful, you could have simply stated that you had been recommended from a forum member to do the swap based on what a CTS rep had told him. But you chose not to do that...pure and simple.

    Hope your SIM works for you...
  8. etp2's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #128  
    Regarding the issue of displaying garbage in the upper left corner of the phone application where it would normally say "Cingular".

    I'm glad to finally see that others share this problem with me.

    During the several times I've talked to the support people at Cingular they've acted as if I were crazy.

    I've had my phone replaced once with no change in the problem.

    Now I've been patiently waiting for a possible firmware update.

    According to other posts here, it may be the sim. My sim is a 7300 () 4021.
    It seems that version has more incidents of this issue than other versions of sims.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    You totally misread me, but I'm too busy to get involved in a flamebait. Have a great day and thanks for your help!!
    Jbenner...

    Very sorry if I misread what you said...or intended to come across. Unfortunately, black and white words on a forum have a real tendency toward misinterpretation. My apologies if I came off wrongly.

    I really do hope your Treo is running better...

  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by etp2 View Post
    Regarding the issue of displaying garbage in the upper left corner of the phone application where it would normally say "Cingular".

    I'm glad to finally see that others share this problem with me.

    During the several times I've talked to the support people at Cingular they've acted as if I were crazy.

    I've had my phone replaced once with no change in the problem.

    Now I've been patiently waiting for a possible firmware update.

    According to other posts here, it may be the sim. My sim is a 7300 () 4021.
    It seems that version has more incidents of this issue than other versions of sims.
    I would try getting the "working" SIM from Cingular...
  11. etp2's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I would try getting the "working" SIM from Cingular...
    Thanks - that was my next step.
    I may need to purchase one of the 2G sims from ebay but it would be worth it to resolve this.
    I'll post my results after I get it next week.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    ...
    If so, then as far as I can tell from this forum, it is either an issue with SIMs, or something nobody has thought of yet. If it is a SIM issue, the following SIMs do NOT work
    73000 O 4021
    64205 O 4020

    Supposedly, this does work:
    73000 G 3021
    ...

    As for software conflicts, has anyone installed the camera patch? I haven't and occasionally experience this problem. I wonder if installing it will help or make it worse.
    I encountered the gibberish issue the first day I got my 680 about 2 months ago and occasionally for about 3 weeks thereafter. Then for the past 3 weeks it was clean. I needed to reset via battery removal for a bluetooth synch problem today, and bam, theres the gibberish back again, GRRRRRR, so I cam back to this thread to see if there was any news. Very happy to see this info here now, THANKS!

    I have 73000 O 4021. I plan to go looking for the 73000 G 3021 now. Between this gibberish issue and the fairly frequent bluetooth synch hiccups requiring battery reset, it's pretty crappy performance & service IMHO. If not resolved, I'll pitch this phone back to Cingular one way or another.

    I also did the camera patch, worked great. Still would like better battery performance in general, but the patch did it's thing.
  13. #133  
    It DID NOT WORK. The 64K 4020 is giving us the same gibberish results as the 73000 4021. Though we have not tried a hard reset. I will try that and report back.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    More than 24 hours now and the phone has been stable. Appears to have worked. Thanks everyone for your help!
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    If so, then as far as I can tell from this forum, it is either an issue with SIMs, or something nobody has thought of yet. If it is a SIM issue, the following SIMs do NOT work
    73000 O 4021
    64205 O 4020

    Supposedly, this does work:
    73000 G 3021
    I guess my experience supports both the items in the "do NOT work" list. I have now tried both the 73000 4021 and the 64K 4020 and both gave me the gibberish problem. Unfortunately only these 2 SIM cards appear to be freely available at Cingular stores. I will now take the advice of other posters and acquire a 73000 G 3021 on eBay.
  15. #135  
    Have you tried more than one Cingular store in your area? We seem to have one on every corner now...they're the new Starbucks . I know the Cingular about a block from my house has the 3021 version...
  16. #136  
    Reviewing eBay SIM card auctions, nobody seems to list the specific type of card down to SKU number, so it looks impossible to know which one you are buying , especially specifically the 73000 G 3021.
  17. #137  
    With Cingular being one of the highest rate wireless providers, I would never pay for a SIM card from them. Especially when it's their responsibility to make sure the SIMs work for their provided devices. The SIM is free through Cingular...I would just keep trying different stores.
  18. #138  
    I have tried 2. I will try some more stores since I work in downtown Chicago and there are probably 2 more stores an easy lunch hour walk from here. Thanks for the suggestion.

    It is kind of ridiculous the amount of effort we are putting into this, isn't it? And Cingular still has not made a public announcement about this problem, which is outrageous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Have you tried more than one Cingular store in your area? We seem to have one on every corner now...they're the new Starbucks . I know the Cingular about a block from my house has the 3021 version...
  19. #139  
    I don't see this as a Sim card issue.
    Why haven't we seen this problem on our old phones (those with previous Treos) when we used the same Sim card? Has anyone with Palm Branded unlocked 680 seen this with either Cingular or T-mobile service? Note that the unlocked has a different firmware.
    It has to be related to the Cingular Firmware and/or the Cingular network.

    Anyone remember the 650 freezing issue whenever the signal got bad? Got fixed with firmware.
    We've seen this 680 gibberish issue with all kinds of Sim cards, but it's mainly been on Cingular branded phones.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  20. #140  
    My parents live northwest of Chicago and there are at least 10 stores within a five mile radius of their house . There's bound to be some 3021s out there somewhere, Chicago has everything...
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions