Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 242
  1. #101  
    First the bad news: you cannot use this problem (or any) to exchange your 680 for one of the colored ones So much for my masterful plan. All they have is charcoal.

    The guy I talked to seemed to be familiar with the problem and said it had something to do with reconnecting to the network or something. BUT he told me things I haven't read before.

    First of all, he says the 680 is a 3G phone. Cingular's website says it isn't. So, which is it?

    He also said that 3G SIM cards from December seem to be causing issues in his personal experience, but knew of now company information on it. I got mine in August I think.

    He said for optimal performance, I need a 3G SIM card that is blue on the "back" (back = side with the contacts on it). He had no info about 73k vs 64k or square vs rounded contacts.

    He also recommented a soft reset, not pulling out the battery, to make the issue go away.

    Anyway, I'll be stopping at the cingular store on the way home. Maybe they will take pity on my and give me an orange phone? Doubtful, since they had never heard of colors the last time I was there.

    Oh, and my 680 was a free upgrade from a defective 650. Does that mean I need to send all accessories back with the phone, or just the headset/battery?
  2. #102  
    Okay guys,

    Firstly let me tell you that as a fellow Treo 680 owner I can feel your pain, as I have experienced this same problem myself. However, I also work for cingular at a corporate retail location and hopefully try and clarify some issues.

    1. To correct a statement made in the previous post, the treo 680 is NOT a 3G device. The treo 750 is, however the 680 operates on our Edge and GPRS networks as it lacks 3G functionality.

    2. In regards to the issues that your having with your SIM cards, let me assure you that cingular makes sure that all of our sim cards are backwards compatiable with the devices that are out at the present time. This would mean that a "fireball", or previous 64K sim cards will work with all present devices out now, however this does not mean that older 32K sim cards will work with the current devices, as they are older sim cards. Those of you who have the white sim cards that say "64K smartchip" in white with an orange stripe, and the cingular logo beneath it, if you turn it over and look by the acual "chip", you will see in white lettering "3G", meaning that it works with 3G devices and older technology. Basically what I am saying is that either the fireball sims or orange stripe sims will work, as they are basically the same thing. People who hear differently are just hearing things from my fellow reps because it is usually what they say in responce to confronting something that they have no idea how to fix. I can assure you that cingular is aware of the issue that is going on with the Treo 680's, and from what I have read/heard, it seems to be an issue related to one of two things. Bad software, or conflicts with programs and data from people that have upgraded from a previous treo.

    In response to this I suggest you do the following:

    If you have upgraded from an older treo, backup your data and follow the thread on how to do a proper "clean" upgrade, as to not have any conflicts with the new Palm OS software. (I myself was stricken with this same problem and this is what solved it for me)

    If you have a fireball sim card, you can rest assured that it will operate just fine with the treo 680. Cingular is in fact phasing out the orange stripe sims and is only going to be using the fireball sim cards now, as they work with all the newer devices that are going to be coming out in the future. The main reason for the sim change anyways had to deal with us coming out with 3G devices that are going to be utilizing video calling, and the devices that have that require sims that are programmed differently; However, as I stated previously, these sims have been tested by Cingular/ATT to be backwards compatiable with older devices. I can assure you that in about 2 months time, you arn't going to be able to find orange stripe sims anywhere, and the search for them is pointless anyways because that's not even the issue.

    If you are not upgrading from a previous device, and are experiencing this problem, you can exchange your treo within 30 days at any cingular corporate location; just come in with the packaging and reciept and we will be happy to assist. If it is after 30 days, then call 800-801-1101, do NOT call 611 or customer care cause they will just refer you to this number anyways. This department will assist you in sending out another device to you for exchange via mail.


    I hope this helps to clarify some issues that you all are having. Rest assured that we do in fact know about this and data support is trying to figure out on those treo's who haven't been upgraded what is the software conflict that is causing the problem.
  3. #103  
    Just thought I'd say: I have the same problem.

    Fix the 680, Palm! We're waiting...!
    The Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #100 - "Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach."

    Take over my T-Mobile 12 month Contract - 12 months left, $39.99, free phones, and $40 credit

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=136424
  4. #104  
    I don't know who's right or wrong...or who is really "in the know" and who only claims to be. I'm also not at all a tech-head, and I'm a newbie here besides.

    But, I do know that since I called Cingular Tech. Services and they forced the phone to re-register with the system...plus exchanged my old 3G "fireball" SIM for an old-school "2G" 64k one...my gibberish and no service incidences have vanished. Why...I have no idea.

    Why has my battery life increased so drastically after only three full discharge/reset/charge routines to where I am still at 70% after a 13-14 hour day...when some still can't get a half-day out of theirs? I dunno that either.

    I believe that Palm and Cingular need to get some consistancy happening in their lives...and Palm needs to come up with some answers fast for the bulk of the Treo 680 users that are unhappy. Customer satisfaction is everything, and even die-hard Treo followers might go to greener pastures if Palm is happy to rest on it's past laurels and do nothing.
  5. #105  
    I went to a cingular store last night, and they basically contradicted everything cingular's smartphone rep said, and managed to insult my intelligence and all of yours, too, and insulted Palm... Basically they think that all treos suck and palm sucks and we just need to wait until palm figures it out, and that it has nothing to do with SIMs, and us silly forum people have no idea what we're talking about. And they didn't have a SIM worth trading for.

    I'm thinking this issue needs a FAQ...

    Anyway, we now have 3:1 sources saying the 680 is not a 3G phone, so let's consider that closed.

    As for SIM cards,

    Quote Originally Posted by ctoutlaw981 View Post
    Okay guys,
    2. In regards to the issues that your having with your SIM cards, let me assure you that cingular makes sure that all of our sim cards are backwards compatiable with the devices that are out at the present time. This would mean that a "fireball", or previous 64K sim cards will work with all present devices out now, however this does not mean that older 32K sim cards will work with the current devices, as they are older sim cards. Those of you who have the white sim cards that say "64K smartchip" in white with an orange stripe, and the cingular logo beneath it, if you turn it over and look by the acual "chip", you will see in white lettering "3G", meaning that it works with 3G devices and older technology. Basically what I am saying is that either the fireball sims or orange stripe sims will work, as they are basically the same thing. People who hear differently are just hearing things from my fellow reps because it is usually what they say in responce to confronting something that they have no idea how to fix. I can assure you that cingular is aware of the issue that is going on with the Treo 680's, and from what I have read/heard, it seems to be an issue related to one of two things. Bad software, or conflicts with programs and data from people that have upgraded from a previous treo.

    [Clean upgrade stuff...]
    All I synced was memos, to-dos and calander. Not a single app or even a picture, and no patches. Is that different that a clean upgrade? If not, then I might try that.

    If so, then as far as I can tell from this forum, it is either an issue with SIMs, or something nobody has thought of yet. If it is a SIM issue, the following SIMs do NOT work
    73000 O 4021
    64205 O 4020

    Supposedly, this does work:
    73000 G 3021

    Can anyone contradict this?

    Unfortunately, the local Cingular store only stocked the first one.


    Quote Originally Posted by ctoutlaw981 View Post
    If you are not upgrading from a previous device, and are experiencing this problem, you can exchange your treo within 30 days at any cingular corporate location; just come in with the packaging and reciept and we will be happy to assist. If it is after 30 days, then call 800-801-1101, do NOT call 611 or customer care cause they will just refer you to this number anyways. This department will assist you in sending out another device to you for exchange via mail]

    I hope this helps to clarify some issues that you all are having. Rest assured that we do in fact know about this and data support is trying to figure out on those treo's who haven't been upgraded what is the software conflict that is causing the problem.
    I called Cingular yesterday and they told me to do a soft reset and they would NOT exchange the phone... But this is not frustrating enough to do an exchange over yet. I guess if you want to exchange and someone says no, then hang up and try again and hope you get this guy.

    As for software conflicts, has anyone installed the camera patch? I haven't and occasionally experience this problem. I wonder if installing it will help or make it worse.
    Last edited by skintigh; 02/27/2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typos
  6. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctoutlaw981 View Post
    Okay guys,
    I can assure you that in about 2 months time, you arn't going to be able to find orange stripe sims anywhere, and the search for them is pointless anyways because that's not even the issue.
    Well, judging by the posts in this forum it appears as though most (all?) are finding sucess by switching back to a 2G SIM.

    As a data point, my mom has a new 680 and has this problem. She gets the "gibberish" 2 or 3 times per day. No 3rd party software, no "upgrade" - a stock, clean 680. She's been in Mexico for the past 2 months roaming on whatever GSM carriers are down there.

    Here's the kicker: she has not had the gibberish problem AT ALL while using her phone in Mexico. Since returning to the US last week, she has once again experienced the gibberish problems on a daily basis.

    This is not a coincidence. This screams network problem, and since the SIM is relatively "close to the metal" in terms of how the phone interacts with the network, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the SIM is at least indirectly the culprit. I plan on having her switch SIM's this weekend to see if that fixes the issue for her too.

    This problem has nothing to do with 3rd party software or upgrading from a previous Treo. While I wouldn't rule out something with the OS, I'd wager a fair amount of money that it's a Cingular problem rather than a Palm problem.
  7. #107  
    We are exchanging the 73000 4021 in our 680 with an non-4021 SIM card this week. I will let you know our results. Thanks everyone for the advice. Thank god for this forum, Cingular is useless.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    We are exchanging the 73000 4021 in our 680 with an non-4021 SIM card this week. I will let you know our results. Thanks everyone for the advice. Thank god for this forum, Cingular is useless.

    I think you'll be glad you switched. For the present at least...my glitch issue is solved.

    And...Cingular is only better than worthless if you are lucky enough to get hold of a CSR that actually cares (an extremely rare commodity) and hooks you up with a Tech. Services rep that actually cares (a rarer commodity) that can trouble shoot your phone OTA. Most CSR's look for the path of least resistance, and throw up their hands saying "we never heard of that problem". My problems were helped by a TSR that actually admitted to having many calls on the issue...and did what he thought would cure the problem, as well as recommend that I switch SIM cards.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Here's the kicker: she has not had the gibberish problem AT ALL while using her phone in Mexico. Since returning to the US last week, she has once again experienced the gibberish problems on a daily basis.
    I had this problem at home in Philadelphia, went to rural Florida and did not have the problem for the entire trip. I came home and did not have the issue for almost three weeks. It popped up again today. Of note is that I did my first soft reset in since the trip last night.

    I had asked in the past if people were having issues in urban vs. rural areas because I am wondering weather areas that have 3G network availability (i.e. primarily urban areas at this point) are causing the incompatibility for some reason.
  10. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankF View Post
    I had asked in the past if people were having issues in urban vs. rural areas because I am wondering weather areas that have 3G network availability (i.e. primarily urban areas at this point) are causing the incompatibility for some reason.
    That's a fair point, although in my mom's case I'm not sure that it holds true because as far as I'm aware, Cingular does not have 3G coverage in MN (Twin Cities) yet, and that's where my mom is using her phone when the gibberish occurs. (why they don't have 3G service here yet is beyond me)

    Now, I suppose it's possible that they do have the equipment in place and are testing it, even though it's not technically "live" yet - so maybe your theory is stil valid....
  11. #111  
    I live in FL and had this problem only periodically. However, when I went to Alabama over the holidays, I had it more often. When I did a hard reset and reinstalled everything, it started happening alot, a couple times a day. I got in an online chat with tech support and he re-registered my phone on the network. Everything was great after that. I flew up to Atlanta a couple days ago and as soon as I got here and turned the phone on, I had the problem again. Everything has been fine for a couple days now, but I got a dollar says this is going to happen again as soon as I fly back to Florida. It's got to be a network issue. It's not a 3rd party app issue. When I was on with tech support, I directed the tech to this discussion thread, so I hope that they are reading it. It doesn't happen enough for me to get too aggravated with it, but I can see that the people that travel often would find it tiresome.
  12. #112  
    I live in Alabama and have only recently noticed this issue occurring (I've had my Treo 680 since Nov. 2006). Obviously, it's an issue. Who's going to own up to it and better yet fix it is another story. I think it's a little of both. I sure hope Palm and Cingular does the right think and comes out with a new firmware release which INCLUDES the camera fix.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  13. #113  
    Could everyone who reads this forum do me a HUGE favor?

    Could you read the model number on your SIM and post it?

    It's important to know which models do and do not have this problem (assuming it's a SIM issue) so it's just as important for the people who DON'T have th problem to post their SIM model, too.
  14. #114  
    I don't think this is a "HUGE" favor...I could think of some bigger ones to ask...

    3G
    73000G 3021
    No problems
  15. #115  
    Well, I just went to a Cingular store in Chicago. Told them the lie that Cingular tech support told me I needed to downgrade the card to an older flavor (it was actually you people who told me that). They just took my 73000 4021 and replaced it with a 64K 4020. I will report in a couple of days to let you know if that fixed the problem. One hour later it works fine, but it will take more time than that for the problem to appear (if it does).

    I had to visit 2 stores to find one that still had 64K cards. They are running out of those everywhere I go.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    Well, I just went to a Cingular store in Chicago. Told them the lie that Cingular tech support told me I needed to downgrade the card to an older flavor (it was actually you people who told me that).
    Ummm...jbenner, I am wondering why you are blaming anyone here (the "you people" you say "told me that") for forcing you to lie to a Cingular rep. I actually was one of the ones that posted that a Cingular Technical Services rep recommended that I go to my local Cingular store and swap SIM's. I was only recommending what worked for me. You were not told by me...or anyone else to lie to anybody. Don't try to justify your actions by shifting blame on others...I personally take great offense at that statement!

    If you wanted to be truthful, you could have simply stated that you had been recommended from a forum member to do the swap based on what a CTS rep had told him. But you chose not to do that...pure and simple.

    Hope your SIM works for you...
  17. #117  
    He said he told Cingular that a tech told him to swap. I think he meant the forum members told him to swap SIM cards, not to lie to the Cingular rep.

    That's how I interpreted it...
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    He said he told Cingular that a tech told him to swap. I think he meant the forum members told him to swap SIM cards, not to lie to the Cingular rep.

    That's how I interpreted it...
    Christina...did you say you were an attorney...or a "spin-specialist"?

    However...if I misterpreted the statement...I was wrong. Sorry for my stern reaction. If not, my statements still stand.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Christina...did you say you were an attorney...or a "spin-specialist"?

    However...if I misterpreted the statement...I was wrong. Sorry for my stern reaction. If not, my statements still stand.
    LOL...I've got four kids, I'm everything
  20. #120  
    ctoutlaw...

    Four people within last 3 days from Cingular have insisted the Treo 680 IS a 3G phone, notwithstanding little symbols on website... Any real hard data to refer to a spec or data sheet? Could be a 2 1/2G model, as they do exist, but if it isn't 3G, why does everyone at Cingular insist that it is? Can you help fix their documentation on support line?

    As for SIM cards, I'm sure the design goal was "backwards compatibility" as it always is.. The goal and the real product often diverge.. Whether bad cards in December or bad design or bad interface specs with Palm (all possible..) it's hard to argue with folks who've made the otherwise worthless phones work by going to 64K Smartcards or different versions of Fireball cards.

    As long as Cingular thinks Palm ought to be trying to fix this and Palm thinks Cingular ought to be trying to fix it, we'll all be carrying expensive battery-powered paperweights, that work pretty well as PDA's until they lock up...

    It's a great PDA, it's just Useless as a telephone...
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions