Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Thats not how a hard re-set is done, pg 226 of the manual describes the steps. I have a fireball 3g chip, twice had the gibberish, took out the battery & sim card per palm's instructions so far so good
    >> I have a fireball 3g chip, twice had the gibberish, took out the battery & sim card per palm's instructions so far so good.

What does this mean - what did Palm tell you to do. You MUST take out the battery to get to the sim card - so I don't understand. If we have had our SIM card replaced, by definition we have taken out the battery and sim card.

Specifically what instruction did you follow from Palm that has fixed the lock up problem.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    While the phone is plugged in remove battery for 1min then take out sim card wait 1 min put both back in do not touch any buttons and let charge for 4-6 hours undisturbed,
    Just thought I'd add some additional data to this thread.

I had the gibberish problem, sometimes several times a day, sometimes several days with no issue. Cingular provided me a new Fireball SIM, and so far I've had no further issues.

When looking at the SIM where the trace pads are, I noticed a physical difference between the SIM's. They also had different model numbers.

The SIM that caused my gibberish was model# 73000 O 4021
    The SIM that is working fine for me so far (four days and countin) model # 73000 G 3021

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...021207_001.jpg

Here's an image that shows the differences. Sorry it's so blurry, I couldn't zoom in close enough and still have it clear, but you can see the differences between the pads on the SIM. The one on the right is the good one.
    Last edited by Electro-Tether; 02/15/2007 at 04:08 PM.
    I have the same sim card Electro-Tether was having problems with, and now i have the issues with the symbols, and loss of connectivity. Did you just call and ask for a replacement? or did they suggest it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro-Tether View Post
    The SIM that caused my gibberish was model# 73000 O 4021
    The SIM that is working fine for me so far (four days and countin) model # 7000 G 3021

Here's an image that shows the differences. Sorry it's so blurry, I couldn't zoom in close enough and still have it clear, but you can see the differences between the pads on the SIM. The one on the right is the good one.
    I can't really see the difference in the pads. Is it something you can describe? My model # is 73000G 3021, so it's a cross between your good and bad SIMS' model #s.
    I have the 73000 O 4021 SIM card. I have had my 680 since just before Christmas. I have had the gibberish problem a few times - about once a week or so. I had an issue with an app recently and decided to hard reset and reinstall everything. Now I get the gibberish every day. Sometimes a couple times a day. I am going to call Cingular today to see if I can get a new SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I can't really see the difference in the pads. Is it something you can describe? My model # is 73000G 3021, so it's a cross between your good and bad SIMS' model #s.

My bad, I have a 73000G not a 7000G SIM. The pads would look the same between yours and mine. The 73000 O however had square pads (as you may be able to decern from my image).
    Quote Originally Posted by capo031 View Post
    I have the same sim card Electro-Tether was having problems with, and now i have the issues with the symbols, and loss of connectivity. Did you just call and ask for a replacement? or did they suggest it?

They suggested it after I talked to them at length about the issue. I've a corporate account and over 70 phones (mix of 650's and some newer 680's), so making me happy is important to them. As for individual owners, you may have to go through some extra hoops, but I think the issue is with the 73000 O 4021 SIM modules.
    I'm getting it now everyday also- phone refuses to dial out when it happens - !!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Out of curiosity, are those of you that are having this problem living in urban or rural areas?
    My work is urban
    Home is semi rural

My issues are when I am working
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I was having the same garbled text problems with my wife's Treo. Even after many soft resets, and a hard reset, the issue would still crop up. Thanks to this forum (and a Cingular forum), however, I surmised that it was the SIM card that was causing the problem.

So, today, I went to the Cingular store near me to ask for a new SIM Card. After explaining my problem to the Cingular rep, she said that she seemed to recall recently receiving an email (from corporate, I assume) outlining the problem. After rereading the email, she went and got a new SIM card and explained that they were having problems with certain vendors' SIM cards, and that it was no problem replacing the one I had.

The first replacement SIM she brought out actually turned out to be a 73k SKU--but thanks to Electro-Tether's post, I was able to show her that it was the 73k SKU that seemed to be the problem. She then went back and got a 64k SKU and changed it right over, free of charge. Incidentally, the 64k SIM was from a different manufacturer than my original 73k.

In any event, my point here is that it seems there shouldn't be any problems getting a new SIM card for those of you having the garbled text and other issues with your Treo.

I will post again if have the same problems with the new SIM card. Otherwise, assume the problem is fixed if you don't hear from me again.

Thanks again, all, for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I have the 73000 O 4021 SIM card. I have had my 680 since just before Christmas. I have had the gibberish problem a few times - about once a week or so. I had an issue with an app recently and decided to hard reset and reinstall everything. Now I get the gibberish every day. Sometimes a couple times a day. I am going to call Cingular today to see if I can get a new SIM card.
    Update to this: I called Cingular and after explaining everything, the tech said he had never heard of it before. OK, whatever. He said he was going to re-register my phone on the network and that if that didn't resolve it, then I would have to call Palm. Well, that was last week and I think I have not had the gibberish at all since then. So I have been gibberish free for over a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by samoray View Post
    However, I have one annoying problem that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere in the forum. From time to time, my 680 loses network connectivity (voice) and displays gibberish in the upper left corner of the phone application where it would normally say "Cingular". The gibberish is a bunch of extended characters (stars, diamonds, strange shapes). If you turn the phone off and back on, the gibberish goes away and is replaced by "Network Search". After some period, this times out and says "No Service". Mysteriously, phone service is restored after a random interval (minutes to hours) and I'm back to 4 bars.
    I came here to report the exact same problem. I got my phone Wed night, synced up ONLY contacts, memos and to-dos, NOTHING else. Didn't even put included games on it. When I left work Thurs (can't bring the phone in) I saw I had a bunch of European (un-American?) characters and the EXACT symptoms you had. About 25 minutes and two phone-power-offs later my phone worked again. Then a few hours later, at home with 4 bars, it happened again. I did a soft reset and re-seated my SIM card hoping that was the cause. I'll find out in a few hours when I leave work.

Now it looks like I have 5 pages of forum to read through...

Okay, I read em, and it sounds like I should look into what my SIM is and seek a replacement. But at least I can confirm it's not 3rd party software.

Also, I live and on the outskirts of San Antonio and work at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I wouldn't call either setting urban, but it's not like I'm out in the sticks either. I've had the problem at home and work.
    Last edited by skintigh; 02/23/2007 at 05:17 PM.
    I experienced the gibberish/lost-signal problem again today, and after a soft-reset took care of it for the time being...I called Cingular Tech. Services and the rep told me that they had gotten several calls about that lately. Luckily, I called from a land-line, because he asked me to turn the phone off...then he said he "forced the phone to re-register" from his end. He also recommended swapping the 3G SIM for a 64k "2G" one at my local Cingular store if they had any.

I did just that. My local store was cool enough to give me a new SIM at no charge because I told them Tech. Services recommended it. They also copied my contacts over for me. Everything works fine so far...

I guess I won't really know if everything worked...or which thing worked unless I go a week or so without an incident. Hope it's a success.
    Cingular shouldn't give you hard time about replacing the SIM for free...I've done five or six times. Great phone service, huh?
    Cingular shouldn't give you hard time about replacing the SIM for free...I've done five or six times. Great phone service, huh?
    Some stores will try to hit you for a $25 fee. I kind of expected that treatment this time...but I was pleasantly suprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Some stores will try to hit you for a $25 fee. I kind of expected that treatment this time...but I was pleasantly suprised.
    Ack!!! $25 a pop? I would have had to pay more for my SIMs than the phone itself! I'm glad I have a nice Cingular rep...
    Ack!!! $25 a pop? I would have had to pay more for my SIMs than the phone itself! I'm glad I have a nice Cingular rep...
    Yeah, I have three good reps at three stores. It is absolutely who you know.

Amazingly enough, although Cingular tells it's reps to sell SIM's for $25 a shot...I can go to a phone shop in my local mall and get Cingular SIM's for $9.00 all day long. Of course, any accessory bought from the Cingular store is ungodly expensive anyway.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast