Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I just got a Treo 680 and I see the same problem aswell with the Cingular log. Ive got no third party software installed on my Treo currently. Ive had the treo for about 3 weeks now and its already happened about 3 times! Not sure if its worth trying to exchange the device itself?
    I've had my Treo for about 2 weeks. This lost connectivity issue is happening about twice a day now.
    I'm one week free of this problem now....I didnt change anything it just stopped happening.
    speak of the devil....after one week free of this issue it happened this morning after takinh the phone from the charger. sigh...
    I spoke with Cingular yesterday - They had me do a hard reset on the 680. SOooo....since about 10:00 yesterday, no gibberish. Oddly enough, the battery life seems to have improved as well. Nicole from Cingular is sending me a new SIM chip as well (free of charge) just to be safe....
    Hi Guys. I am experiencing the same problems. - New unit performed perfectly for 2 weeks until I took a road trip. Cingular told me to do a soft reset this week and said a good practice is to completely turn off the unit at least once a week (power down to Goodbye) or the unit can get stuck in an endless loop.

My question: I acquired the 680 out of frustration with the 750 release delays. Does anyone know if the 750's are experiencing a similar problem?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have a New 680 (5 days old) with the NEW fireball 3G SIM and had the Gibberish happen this morning, only time it has happened. Have we verified that it is a fireball 3G SIM issue?

didn't someone say it could be Backupbuddy? I have that installed.

Well I will let you know if the Gibberish happens again.
    What specifically does the fireball 3g look like?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Well, the gibberish thing happened to me again Thursday night, but did not happen at all over the weekend.....received the new SIM chip but have not installed it as of yet. My comment about the battery was good - before the hard reset I would have had to recharge after 36 or so hours, but I went from Thursday night to Monday morning without a recharge (probably made and received 8-10 calls over the weekend). I still had about 1/4 to 1/5 battery left this morning. This is more in line with what I expected.

Informational: the hard reset Cingular had me do was to remove the battery, wait 30 seconds, replace it and then immediately hold the red <END CALL> / phone power button until the second splash screen comes up, then release the button. It will ask you if you want to to erase everything from the phone (have backups, because it really does...), say YES and voila, phone is purged. I my case, I just re-synched and got everything back.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Well the Gibberish happened again to me this afternoon. So I called Cingular and spent an hour on the phone with them doing "hard" resets and checking things they say there is a software issue and opened a CASE with the Tech department. They shipped me a new 680 which I should get tomorrow. he said under the phone settings OPtions there should be a Network option to choose the Network, and MINE does not have that and he says that is the problem.

I hope so because it is weird I will use my phone then put it back into my leather pouch and go and try and use it again and there will be gibberish and no signal strength, (there are places in my company that I lose signal and then i get a signal back, i wonder if that is the ISSUE).

I am hoping this new phone will be better.

Will post again.

-Keith
    Well,
    Today I jumped in this boat! I've got little hearts & spades and other squiggly characters trapsing across the Cingular area! The little antenna symbol is there, but no bars!

ANd here I thought this third 680 swapout was THE one!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    This NEVER happens on T-mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by CulpK View Post
    I posted yesterday and had at that time gotten new SIM cards from Cingular and when leaving the store with the new SIMs did hard resets to both of my 680's.

The gibberish where Cingular is and non-funtioning phone symptom HAS NOT returned now for 48+ hours on both of my 680's. I will follow up in a day or two to let others know if the solution was that simple and is still working.

Did replacing the SIM card end up working for you long term? Will they just give you a new one at the store? I've been having this same issues since day one of having the 680.
    THANK GOD....others are having this same issue. I was hoping it wasn't isolated to my phone. I get the same gibberish and "No Service" on my 680, too. In addition, my signal indicater shows no signal, but I am able to surf the net, text message, etc yet it shows no bars. Very strange!

I agree that we need a ROM update sooner than later.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Well it happened again on my 3rd 680.....However on this 3rd 680 everything seems better.....meaning the sound is clearer than on my 2 previous 680's. My 2 pervious 680's always had a staticy sound in the earpiece which drove me nuts but now it is CLEAR.

Okay Back to the post. The Gibberish started again and showed no signal but I took my office phone and called my cell and it went through and still showed the symbols but I got the Signal strenght back. I hung up and the Gibberish stayed but I had 4 bars of Signal Strength, well about 2-4 minutes pass and I glance at it again and CINGULAR was back.

THIS WAS WITHOUT A RESET. I WILL WATCH IT OVER THE WEEKEND AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. IF IT MESSES UP AND MAKES ME RESET> I WILL SEND THIS ONE BACK AND GET A BLACKJACK INSTEAD.
    Does anyone know if this is more or less likely to happen if I get a phone directly from Cingular versus getting an unlocked one from Palm?

If I get an unlocked one from Palm, I will just transfer my sim car (which is about 4 or 5 months old). If I get one from Cingular, I will get a new sim card (presumably).

This may influence my decision which way to go. And since I have Cingular service already, I don't have the option of going with Tmobile or anything.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    What specifically does the fireball 3g look like?
    It says 3g and has a ball with flames on it.

Quote Originally Posted by medenblik View Post
    Well the Gibberish happened again to me this afternoon. So I called Cingular and spent an hour on the phone with them doing "hard" resets and checking things they say there is a software issue and opened a CASE with the Tech department. They shipped me a new 680 which I should get tomorrow. he said under the phone settings OPtions there should be a Network option to choose the Network, and MINE does not have that and he says that is the problem.

-Keith
    The option to choose your Network is in the Prefs app under Network...

Quote Originally Posted by CulpK View Post
    Wing1: My problem has not returned for 5 days now since replacing the SIM on each of my two 680's...did not replace phones...but also did hard resets at time of SIM replacements to clear out any resident problems caused by the bad SIM (I listed in previous post that my "bad" SIM made a second "good" 680 that I own develop this problem also).
    If I do a hard reset to try to fix the SIM issue, will a restore from BackupMan also restore any resident problems or is the hard reset just introducing the Treo to the new SIM? I had my SIM replaced due to dropped calls (within 30 seconds of every call) and the static issue posted, but I didn't do a hard reset after. Now, a month later, my calls are suddenly dropping to the point of having to recall people 3 or 4 times just to finish the conversation.
    Last edited by Christinac130; 01/18/2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Forgot question...
    I'm having the problem too. I'd be interested in knowing Cingular's official response to the issue, and what their tracking number is for the problem.
    Here's the Cingular Forum thread about the issue. Nothing firm there either, yet.

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...cending&page=1
    Quote Originally Posted by medenblik View Post
    didn't someone say it could be Backupbuddy? I have that installed.
    That poster followed by saying that he had the problem resurfaced again after getting a new phone. Presumably, if he thought backupbuddy was a cause of the problem, he would have avoided installing (or at least using) it. Since he had the problem with a new phone (and assuming he has at least a normal IQ), I'd say that backup buddy was a coincidence and not the problem.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/22/2007 at 06:30 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast