Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    OK, I was having this problem a lot a few days ago and it hasn't happened once since I started this thread. Very peculiar. I'm traveling abroad today, so I'll be on the lookout for problems with voice connectivity when I reach Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post
    I said it just before, and I'll say it again:

I believe we're going to be needing a patch or ROM update soon.

Everyone, please test this and report your findings. This will help us in bringing these issues to Palm's attention.
    Judging by how long it is taking the 700p to get an update (more than 6 months now) I doubt we will see one anytime soon
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I finally gave up and returned the 680 for another one. The gibberish and "network search" problem has not shown up on the new one. I used the same SIM in the new phone. I've had the new phone for 2 days now, and so far so good. Looks like there may be a bad batch of the phones out there, given all the others having the same problems I had.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Well, I had hoped replacing the phone was the solution, but after 2 days w/o problems, the symptoms reappeared with the new phone. Cingular said to replace the SIM and see if that helps. Sure sounds like they are at a loss as to what's going on with this problem. Anyway, I replaced the SIM today and will let you know what happens in a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by CulpK View Post
    I posted yesterday and had at that time gotten new SIM cards from Cingular and when leaving the store with the new SIMs did hard resets to both of my 680's.

The gibberish where Cingular is and non-funtioning phone symptom HAS NOT returned now for 48+ hours on both of my 680's. I will follow up in a day or two to let others know if the solution was that simple and is still working.

Wing1: My problem has not returned for 5 days now since replacing the SIM on each of my two 680's...did not replace phones...but also did hard resets at time of SIM replacements to clear out any resident problems caused by the bad SIM (I listed in previous post that my "bad" SIM made a second "good" 680 that I own develop this problem also).
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    CulpK:
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you went 5 days so far. I didn't do a hard reset before inserting the new SIM. Hopefully that won't lead to problems. Anyway, I've made it through one day with no issues (other than battery of course).
    Received my Cingular 680 yesterday afternoon and this morning suddenly I got the weird characters in the left top corner, i had to turn the phone off and on a few times before it found the network again. Very annoying...hopefully someone can find the solution. Please keep us posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by locon View Post
    Received my Cingular 680 yesterday afternoon and this morning suddenly I got the weird characters in the left top corner, i had to turn the phone off and on a few times before it found the network again. Very annoying...hopefully someone can find the solution. Please keep us posted.
    bump..

I think I will return and go back to tmobile.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    My two phones that were having this issue (see my previous posts) have been perfect for 9 days now since replacing the SIM (Cingular gave me new ones) and doing a hard reset at the time of SIM replacement.

I did not have to replace the phones to fix my problem.
    After 2 days without that issued now i've had it twice today in less than 6 hours...very annoying as you have to do a soft reset in order for it to find network again.

The top left Cingular text start rolling with weird characters...similar to The Matrix logo hehe

Anyone else had this?
    Any solution?
    Iocon, somehow I think your computer is not allowing you to see other posts in this thread. You ask "Anyone else had this?", "Any solution?":

There were 20 someting posts before yours talking about this problem...so yes, others are having this problem.

As far as a solution...Well, it may not work for you, but what I did has fixed the problem on my 680's for almost 2 weeks now (totally gone). Read my previous posts in this thread for what worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post
    I said it just before, and I'll say it again:

I believe we're going to be needing a patch or ROM update soon.

Everyone, please test this and report your findings. This will help us in bringing these issues to Palm's attention.
    Oh, this is but one of several issues driving that. Frankly, I think this still takes a back seat to battery drain... but sooner or later we'll all get stung by these.
    Mine did it once, but the screen was kind of offset and what I could see was readable. I had to soft reset it to fix it.
    If I throw a stick, will you go away?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Well, I've gone one week without further problem after replacing the SIM. No more gibberish in upper left corner or "network search" hangups. I should add that the SIM I originally used in the 680 came from my Mot V551. The replacement was brand new. So it seems that nothing (soft/hard resets, new phone) will help with this problem except changing the SIM, strange as that might seem.
    I haven't had it now for 72hrs, I'm still using the SIM from my Moto v551. If it happens agains I'll use the "3G" SIM that came with the 680 from Cingular (i was too lazy to activate it
    I've had my Treo 680 for about two weeks now and have had this exact problem several times. To get rid of it, I have to take the battery out, out it back in and it will be back to normal.

I'm going to keep watching for this problem and if it continues, call for help or a new phone.
    I've had my Treo 680 for about two weeks now and have had this exact problem several times. To get rid of it, I have to take the battery out, put it back in and it will be back to normal.

I'm going to keep watching for this problem and if it continues, call for help or a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing1 View Post
    Well, I've gone one week without further problem after replacing the SIM. No more gibberish in upper left corner or "network search" hangups. I should add that the SIM I originally used in the 680 came from my Mot V551. The replacement was brand new. So it seems that nothing (soft/hard resets, new phone) will help with this problem except changing the SIM, strange as that might seem.
    i got a new sim 2 days ago. So far so good.... i am holding my breath
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue. The Cingular store where I go had never heard of this. I had this issue with my first 680, and exchanged it for a new one after about 2 weeks of dealing with increasingly frequent soft resets and several calls to Palm support. Within a couple of hours of getting the new phone, it did it again. So, back I went. This time, I suggested perhaps a new SIM, so they obliged, and it seemed to fix the issue. That was a couple of weeks ago. No hiccups except one time that it said "Check SIM Card" in the place of "Cingular". But, hey, at least it wasn't gibberish. I was roaming at the time in the lost-levels of the Appalachian mountains, so I just gave credit to the antiquated system down there. I just came back from vacation yesterday after almost two weeks, and this morning, more gibberish.... aaahhhh!!! It worked SO GREAT for two weeks. Strangely enough, returning to my home (in Michigan) seems to have brought back the demons. Mine was perfect for two weeks... it just doesn't make any sense. I'm curious to see if anyone has luck truly fixing this problem. I'm getting a bit frustrated.
    Out of curiosity, how many of you are using the Cingular "fireball" (3G) SIM? I went back to the Cingular store where I got my phones (orginal and exchange), and the nice guy I was talking to had a theory that perhaps the 680 has issues with their fireball SIM. Apparently they had some LG phones that had very similar issues when using this chip. The issue with the LG phones were fixed by switching SIM-types, so they switched me to a non-3G SIM. It should be interesting to see if it helps. So far, so good, but then again, my last SIM (a fireball) went almost 2 weeks with no issues. We'll see. Just an idea....
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast