Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    The firmware upgrade has not been posted yet. You all should check the Palm website directly rather than post to the forum. If it shows up one of us will say. If it doesn't no sense in bugging us here about it.
    Yeah, you just keep on waiting for that. Call again and I'm sure they will tell you it will be out in "3 weeks," just like that told me the Treo 700p would be offered in "two months" at the beginning of 2006, then again in the summer of 2006, then again in the fall of 2006, and then they eventually skipped the 700 altogether. I bet if I call again it will be out in 2 months. It almost seems that rather than admit they don't know the answer to something the customer service reps are trained to lie and give specific and wrong information.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenner View Post
    I'm not playing with SIM cards anymore. Waste of time.
    Well you should. After having to reboot my phone 2 or 3 times a day - a very impressive amount considering I can't bring my phone into work and thus only have it about 6 hours a day - I finally got my hands on a 73000 G 3021. It was at a non-corp store, but the girl was so amazed and my devilish good looks she gave it to me for free. Either that or she took pity on me because I had the gibberish while in the store. Either way, so far so good.

But the weirdest thing: after an hour or so my phone stopped saying "cingular" and started saying "AT&T." Is that a result of my new SIM, or did everyone's phone do switch and it was just a coincidence?
    I had this happen to me for the first time today. And I couldn't get service again for 20-30 minutes, so I suspect what happened was the tower near my house was taken down. I fully expected to see the deathstar up but it's still a Cingular tag.

BTW, it's interesting that I tried to power the phone off and back on and it did it in about .5s each then did network search for 5m before I just did a soft reset. Probably the same thing others have said, haven't really read the thread very close. After I soft reset, it still had no service for at least 20 minutes. By that point I was doing something else and got an email in Chatter, so not sure how long it actually was before it came back up. But it was definitely the service disappearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    This NEVER happens on T-mobile.
    I just bought a Treo 680 to replace my 600. I'm using T-Mobile. The first time I put in the SIM card I got "Check SIM Card". Pull card out, put back in, all ok. This morning I was in the middle of a call and got "Check SIM card" and disconnected. Called Palm since I bought the unlocked. They said return it. I guess this is happening a lot and it's a bad phone.

Now, can I synch my Treo 600 using the new synch software which is now installed on my computer?!
    Well, it's been 6 days and not one gibberish incident since switching SIMs, and I was getting 2-3 an evening the week before.

So, it seems playing with SIMs is not a waste of time.
    Hello, I have also had the same gibberish problem and I have the 73000 O 4021 SIM. I didn't feel like waiting and waiting and waiting for an update that may never be released. So, I bought the 73000 G 3021 SIM on ebay today for $5 shipped (not a bad deal). The same seller has 2 more available if anyone else is trying to find one. I searched 73000G 3021 and it came up. Just trying to look out for my fellow 680 owners. Good luck.
    Well, here's another twist for ya. I have a cingular-branded 680 that I unlocked. I have Unicel - not cingular, so I don't use cingular sims. I just started getting the jibberish yesterday. No problem with getting a signal, though.

Thoughts on this? Maybe it's the fact that it's a cingular phone after all, and has little or nothing to do with the sims.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I could be wrong but I think cingular buy's the sim's from a 3rd party. check who makes your sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw View Post
    Well, here's another twist for ya. I have a cingular-branded 680 that I unlocked. I have Unicel - not cingular, so I don't use cingular sims. I just started getting the jibberish yesterday. No problem with getting a signal, though.

Thoughts on this? Maybe it's the fact that it's a cingular phone after all, and has little or nothing to do with the sims.
    It only happens with Cingular-branded 680s, but your's is the first unlocked cingular 680 I've heard of doing it. It's been 8 days since I changed SIMs and not one gibberish yet. I'll wait until week 3 or 4 to get really excited, but to me it seems to be proven almost beyond a shadow of doubt that it is caused by an interaction with certain SIMs.

What SIM do you have?

Can you place calls during the gibberish?
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    It only happens with Cingular-branded 680s, but your's is the first unlocked cingular 680 I've heard of doing it. It's been 8 days since I changed SIMs and not one gibberish yet. I'll wait until week 3 or 4 to get really excited, but to me it seems to be proven almost beyond a shadow of doubt that it is caused by an interaction with certain SIMs.

What SIM do you have?

Can you place calls during the gibberish?
    I don't know how to determine the type of sim that I have. It only has numbers like a serial number on the front with the unicel logo - no markings on the back.

When showing gibberish I cannot make a call. I can use the touchscreen to start a call, but the call does not go through. Hitting the red button only freezes the phone. Removing the battery brings it back to normal.

I did try one thing, since then, however - I disabled the key guard feature. I thought that since I got the gibberish after my phone had been idle for a while it was worth a shot. With the keyguard on, when the phone is in standby it takes a few seconds to wake it up. With keyguard disabled it wakes up much faster. So far so good - no gibberish since this morning, and I have used the phone normally today. We'll see!

EDITED TO ADD: I did just talk to my Unicel rep to try to get info on the sim - she said that it is a 64k card but didn't have any more info - she was nice and actually had to get that info from a tech while I was on hold. She was curious as to why I was asking because someone asked that same question last week, so I told her. She said that even though my sim is 64k it might not behave the same as a cingular 64k sim.
    Last edited by lisaw; 05/15/2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add more info
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I don't know how to determine the type of sim that I have. It only has numbers like a serial number on the front with the unicel logo - no markings on the back.

When showing gibberish I cannot make a call. I can use the touchscreen to start a call, but the call does not go through. Hitting the red button only freezes the phone. Removing the battery brings it back to normal.

I did try one thing, since then, however - I disabled the key guard feature. I thought that since I got the gibberish after my phone had been idle for a while it was worth a shot. With the keyguard on, when the phone is in standby it takes a few seconds to wake it up. With keyguard disabled it wakes up much faster. So far so good - no gibberish since this morning, and I have used the phone normally today. We'll see!

EDITED TO ADD: I did just talk to my Unicel rep to try to get info on the sim - she said that it is a 64k card but didn't have any more info - she was nice and actually had to get that info from a tech while I was on hold. She was curious as to why I was asking because someone asked that same question last week, so I told her. She said that even though my sim is 64k it might not behave the same as a cingular 64k sim.
    I am just speculating here, I have a Treo 680 and it's been on the T-mobile network without a problem. After reading Cingular users' issues with corrupted GSM/GPRS/Edge network stack, I am suspecting the 3G service on the Cingular network may be interfering with the Edge service available on the Treo 680. This is espeically interesting, since no T-mobile users are complaining about this and my own experience also showed on problem on TMo. T-mobile have to operate on a separate frequency to coexist with Cingular networks, therefore if the problem is 3G related, it does not affect T-mobile users (T-mobile currently has no 3G services). I truly hope when T-mobile decides to turn on 3G it does not wipe out Edge services on Treo 680 (especially since Treo 680 is not on their list of OEM phones).

The issue may be isolated to the Treo 680. One reason could be because the front end RF design on the phone is not meeting specification which leads to more interference from 3G service. Or it could be the down conversion circuits or hardware/firmware used in the demodulator. RF and demodulator design is a tricky business (I design satellites/wireless communication infrastructure for a living), and not all phones are designed equal. So while other phones could work perfectly well on edge network in harmony with the Cingular's 3G service, Treo 680's design may just be shaky enough to cause occosational problems. Sadly, if HW design is the problem, there's nothing one can do to fix the problem unless Palm releases a HW design fix on newer phones, but all the existing users are basically stuck with their existing phones.

Proving the design inadequacy is almost next to impossible, as the complex radio frequency environment existing in a real world is very hard to predict or replicate in a lab. Such stories are not uncommon in complex electronic designs.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I also noticed there were discussions from people trying to set their Treo to operate 900 - 1800MHz freuqency bands in an attempt to fix the connection corruption issue.
    Trying those things is just a waste of battery, as the FCC only allows 850MHz and 1900MHz bands for GSM operation in the US (biggest GSM operators in the US being Cingular followed by T-mobile), so there are no known operators operating in the US on the 900 or 1800MHz bands. Trying to force the phone in those freqency bands is not going to produce any connections within the US borders, or really anywhere on the America continents. Those bands are used in Asia and Europe for their GSM networks, and picking up a signal all the way across the Atlantic or the Pacific is highly unlikely, actually practically impossible.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Nah, I don't think it's a hardware roblem. My mom's 680 has been perfect ever since replacing her 3G sim with a 2G sim almost 3 months ago. I don't know specifically what type of sim it is (serial number) but I can try to find that out.
    I get the gibberish problem on my Ciingular-branded 680 that is unlocked and operating on a foreign (non-U.S.) cellular network with the foreign carrier's SIM card. Conclusion: it's not just the Cingular network and/or Cingular SIM cards that are creating the problem, it's something specific to the Cingular-branded phone. I'm hoping that Palm comes up with a solution soon!
    yeah - I got it again this morning. It definitely happens after I haven't used the phone for a while - like on the first call in the morning. Interesting, though, I have 4cast set to update my weather at 5:30AM and it hasn't had any problem connecting.
    sapm:
    Someone posted that the Cingular 680s have slightly different hardware than non-cingular 680s. I don't remember how they know that, but I believe it because it makes sense. Other carriers, even other GSM carriers, do not have this problem. It only occurs with Cingular phones, and now we know it happens even if they are unlocked or on foreign carriers.

Whatever this difference is, it made the 680s very finicky about the SIMs. I'm confident we have a working solution for all Cingular users, but for the unlocked phones on other carriers... well, I guess you can just keep trading SIMs until you get one that works. Not sure what else to suggest.

Anyway, I am now on day 10 with no gibberish since finding a working SIM from my list. The phone also seems more responsive, as sometimes it would lag for several seconds while I was traversing menus or playing solitaire before I got the new SIM. Now if only I could figure out why sometimes the phone doesn't display the answer and ignore buttons when I get a call.
    yeah - I got it again this morning. It definitely happens after I haven't used the phone for a while - like on the first call in the morning. Interesting, though, I have 4cast set to update my weather at 5:30AM and it hasn't had any problem connecting.
    I sometimes don't place or receive calls for days, and I've only seen this happen once and following the occurrence, there was no cellular signal for some 15-20m. Perhaps going out of tower range has something to do with it, but it's not simply time between using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluevoice View Post
    It's getting even worse, now if I turn on the radio, the Treo resets. The System error log displays:

A reset was caused while running "<unknown application>":

HandlerState.cpp, Line:1378, Unable to reset the radio (PWRON)
    I'm getting exactly this error. The worse thing is my 680 randomly resets and the radio does not come back on, causing me to miss calls and messages.

Anyone found anything out about this one?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i had the same issue. picked up a copy of resco backup for $12 on sale, did a back up... hard reset, restore... haven't had the issue since. very good program too! backs up every morning at 4am! which is good to have lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    @bananaman: If a hard reset doesn't help then you should replace your device. I asked Palm for a solution for this problem (as a hard reset didn't solve it for me) and they suggested right away that I should get a replacement as this is a hardware problem. I am happy with my second Treo 680 now.

I've red this thread right from the start and I tend to think that the "Gibberish and no service" problem might be related to the ROM (software) of the Treo 680. Here in Europe we use unlocked GSM Treo 680's and never had one case of "gibberish and no service" as described here. (My first unit did gave me the "No service" error but that was because of the faulty radio).

BTW these are the firmware and software versions currently on my Treo 680:

Firmware: MW01.50
    Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW
    Carrier db: 355

Do you have a different software version?
    Thanks fishera and bluevoice. I will try a hard reset first, then if that doesn't work, I'll call Palm. mmm... hard reset reminds me of my 650...
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast