1.    #1  
    I want a 680. I currently have a M v551 and I am now eligible to upgrade. But no matter what site I try, I HAVE to get a data plan. I can't afford an extra $30+ a month, nor do I want/need it. I called Amazon and Cingular, and both stated that there is no penalty for canceling the data. As long as I don't cancel my line, then I do not incur the contract cancellation fee. The only thing that would be affected would be the rebates, but the cingular rep said that if I file and receive my rebates, they can't penalize me after that for canceling the data plan.

Does this all sound right? I don't want to buy a 680, and then all this turn out to be false.

Thanks!

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    I'm in exactly the same situation (including the M 551).

I'm due to be able to upgrade 12/10/06 as per the Cing website. What benefit are you getting from being up for an upgrade?
  3.    #3  
    Nothing really, I think it just a way to get a new phone earlier, and to keep you a customer. Sometimes you get less of a discount when upgrading than if you were to wait until your contract runs out.

I think Amazon is going to be the best way for me to go. Here is the email I got from Amazon:

Thank you for your interest in the Cell Phones and Services store at
    Amazon.com.

Certain PDA phones that we offer will require a data plan to be
    ordered along with the service plan for the phone. If this is
    required, you will see this listed at the end of the order form on
    the option page.

If you do not want the data plan, you will need to contact Cingular
    to see if they will allow you to remove the data plan option for
    this phone after you've placed your order.

As phones with Cingular arrive activated with your pre-selected
    service plan, you will need to contact Cingular after receiving your
    phone in order to update your service agreement. Doing so should not
    incur any additional fees and will not disqualify you from any of
    the accompanying Amazon.com rebates.

You can contact Cingular at: 1-800-331-0500
    So, I am going to get the phone through Amazon this week. I think I'll have to keep the data plan for a month, although, I guess I wouldn't have to, I just need to get my rebates taken care of before I cancel it.

It seems odd, but I hope it works.
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    I have a suggestion for you, which could save you some money...

Do not get a data plan and instead of getting a Treo, get a phone from Cingular that has a nice rebate without requiring a data plan. For example, the Samsung Sync is going for only $50 after rebate if you renew for 2 years. Then I would take that phone and sell it on ebay. Retail for a brand new Samsung Sync is $349, so you should easily be able to get $249.

Then order yourself an unlocked Treo 680 directly from Palm. Not only do you get an unlocked phone without all the Cingular crap on it, but you can even choose your color if you want a color other than Graphite.

Lastly, if you ever decide you want to put a Data plan on your account, Cingular will think you have the Sync, and they will allow you to add a MediaMax plan to your account instead of forcing you to go with the expensive PDA Connect data plans. Unlimited MediaMax + 200 text messages is only $20/month.
    I cancelled my T-Mobile Total Internet Package the day after I got it. Frickin' useless. Slow, tiny, frustrating.
    I posted a couple weeks ago about a great tool called InfoNub. This provides a slick front-end to fetch information from Google's SMS service including Weather, Sports scores, driving directions, etc. Check it out at http://www.digivello.com. They have a special going on for the rest of the month so I signed up moments after receiving my first response of data -- well worth it! No data plan necessary -- it just uses text messages to communicate.

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I have a suggestion for you, which could save you some money...

Do not get a data plan and instead of getting a Treo, get a phone from Cingular that has a nice rebate without requiring a data plan. For example, the Samsung Sync is going for only $50 after rebate if you renew for 2 years. Then I would take that phone and sell it on ebay. Retail for a brand new Samsung Sync is $349, so you should easily be able to get $249.

Then order yourself an unlocked Treo 680 directly from Palm. Not only do you get an unlocked phone without all the Cingular crap on it, but you can even choose your color if you want a color other than Graphite.

Lastly, if you ever decide you want to put a Data plan on your account, Cingular will think you have the Sync, and they will allow you to add a MediaMax plan to your account instead of forcing you to go with the expensive PDA Connect data plans. Unlimited MediaMax + 200 text messages is only $20/month.

Your right on that Eric. Just buy the unlocked. Then you don't have to worry about anything. Even if you were to buy a cingular 680 without service it will cost you $449. You can get an unlocked for $399
    I was sneeky and told cingular I had a razor, with the idea that then they woould not complain about me getting the $20 mediamax data plan, BUT not my voicemail doesn't work. Part of this is probably because I migrated to someones family plan account, but when I called to ask cing to fix things they wanted the IMI number, and asked about the model of phone and such, so I have a feeling that voice mail setup depends partly on the model of phone.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
    voicemail has nothing to do with the phone model. You can call from a landline and still have voicemail. It's a completely seperate system running on their computer system and doesn't interface with your phone any differently than if you had a landline. (except that it sends out the you have a voicemail signal of course).

They are just being nosy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    voicemail has nothing to do with the phone model. You can call from a landline and still have voicemail. It's a completely seperate system running on their computer system and doesn't interface with your phone any differently than if you had a landline. (except that it sends out the you have a voicemail signal of course).

They are just being nosy.
    Sure, but perhaps the signal for the voicemail alert is coded to the phone? Different signal types for different phone types? Though it would make more sense if it were just coded to the SIM...
    If you have access to Cingular's Premier site thru your work, there you can get the 680 without getting a new plan.
    In my case, I had ordered the Blackjack for $274 (same price as the 680) and kept my grandfathered unlimited MediaNet plan. Only additional charge was the $18 upgrade fee.