Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It would seem that way.

After a full charge I did a hard reset about 24 hours ago to re-install applications instead of restoring .prc's and .pdb's from a backup as per the sticky and I have yet to put my 680 on a charger since that time. Over night it lost only 4% and I am now sitting at 75% with moderate usage. Havent used Blazer yet.

Just something intersting I noticed. I am not going to charge this device until I see the battery in the teens. I wonder how long that will be.

ON a side note. lag still there but not as noticable. Only noticed it twice.
    Hi kryichek!

If I read your post correctly "re-install instead of restoring" . . . . . . had you directly synced to a prior userid vs. the clean install method when you moved to the 680? If so, then the hard reset probably cured a software glitch that was causing the drain . . . . rather than being a "cure" for those that did start with a clean install.

From what I have seen over the last two years with the extended life batteries in the 650 and what I have read in these 680 battery posts, my general feeling is wait and see. (Aside for the occassional bad battery and software caused drain.)

The design of the 680 was a trade off --- less battery for a lighter and slimmer unit. We beat this dead horse into the ground in the 650 forum. More power means a bigger battery -- hence the size up of the Seidio 3200 mAh. Everyone would like 24 hours of data and talk time in a Razr body, including me! I am afraid that we are not there yet.

So yes, a 1200 mAh battery is not going to last as long as an 1800, 2200, 2400 or the new 3200, but if size matters -- we have to be willing to accept the trade off in either size of device or performance.

It does appear as the initial limited capacity of the 1200, as being reported in the 680 forum, is beginning to wane as these batteries go thru the conditioning process inherent to all Lithium Ion batteries.

Cheers, Perry.
    Interesting, didn't think about this.
    My wife's 680 gets pretty good battery life (around 68% left after ~15 hours off the charger).
    One of the first things I did with this phone was precharge it to 100% while at work, and played with it for a little, made a call, etc.
    Then, before leaving work I Hard Reset.

Perry - do you remember all of the Turbo battery drain threads that followed the Sprint and GSM firmware updates? Those seemed to affect some users and not others, particularly after updating firmware. These users didn't previously experince the issue. I wonder if it's more software/firmware related (conflicting with certain hardware, memory, etc).
    Strange stuff.
    Last edited by mistercoffee1; 12/08/2006 at 11:59 PM.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Interesting, didn't think about this.
    My wife's 680 gets pretty good battery life (around 68% left after ~15 hours off the charger).
    One of the first things I did with this phone was precharge it to 100% while at work, and played with it for a little, made a call, etc.
    Then, before leaving work I Hard Reset.

Perry - do you remember all of the Turbo battery drain threads that followed the Sprint and GSM firmware updates? Those seemed to affect some users and not others, particularly after updating firmware. These users didn't previously experince the issue. I wonder if it's more software/firmware related (conflicting with certian hardware, memory, etc).
    Strange stuff.

Yeah, I do remember, fun times.

I think that most of what is happening here is that:

1. they are 1200 mAh batteries . . . . .
    2. and they do need their full "conditioning" before judgements are made.
    3. and add a bad battery here and a non-clean install there and the place is jumpin'.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi kryichek!

If I read your post correctly "re-install instead of restoring" . . . . . . had you directly synced to a prior userid vs. the clean install method when you moved to the 680? If so, then the hard reset probably cured a software glitch that was causing the drain . . . . rather than being a "cure" for those that did start with a clean install.
    Cheers, Perry.
    I had NOT synced to a prior user ID. I installed the palm desktop on a new computer then I did a hotsync to a new user (same user on old computer), then I copied .prc and pdbs from teh old machine to the new one and synced.

Yesterday I did the Hard Reset and installed the .prc and pdb's fresh not from the old machine or my backup folder.

66% at 1pm CST.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    I had NOT synced to a prior user ID. I installed the palm desktop on a new computer then I did a hotsync to a new user (same user on old computer), then I copied .prc and pdbs from teh old machine to the new one and synced.

Yesterday I did the Hard Reset and installed the .prc and pdb's fresh not from the old machine or my backup folder.

66% at 1pm CST.
    Quite possible your hard reset did cure a software draining glitch. . . . . . as well, I posted this in another thread:

The Palm web site lists "talk time" as "up to 4 hours."

So, in my mind, anything north of 3 hours hits the mark. Chatter alone, if set for every 10 minutes, would eat thru that in 10 hours.

If set for every 5 minutes, would eat thru that in 5 hours. . . . . . . . .

Then add in any other usage. . . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130951
    start at post #19

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/08/2006 at 12:59 PM.
    ....but after a week with the 680, a couple of the "deep recharge cycles" and two resets, battery life seems better.

I will buy the extended battery when available, as long as it is the same form factor. (You can never have too much power.)
    Dennis G. Esler
    I'm trying this tonight, will check tomorrow and see if the battery gets any better.
  9.    #9  
    10:30pm CST. 49% after about 40 hours usage w/o charge.

Hard Reset really seems to have done something for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    The design of the 680 was a trade off --- less battery for a lighter and slimmer unit. We beat this dead horse into the ground in the 650 forum. More power means a bigger battery -- hence the size up of the Seidio 3200 mAh. Everyone would like 24 hours of data and talk time in a Razr body, including me! I am afraid that we are not there yet.

So yes, a 1200 mAh battery is not going to last as long as an 1800, 2200, 2400 or the new 3200, but if size matters -- we have to be willing to accept the trade off in either size of device or performance.
    Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, exactly to my point. There are devices out there that actually do what the Treo devices can do (sans touchscreen) while manhandling them in battery terms. At the end of the day there should be NO BATTERY ISSUES with a device that was just introduced to market.

palm failed once again.

regards
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    At the end of the day there should be NO BATTERY ISSUES with a device that was just introduced to market....
    WHAT? Have you ever participated in bringing a product to market? OF COURSE new products are going to have issues. Just because Palm has been making devices since forever doesn't mean a new one is going to be bug free As much as I am bummed about the battery, it's to be expected. Even the new BB 8100 Pearl has SW issues and Blackberry is known for bulletproof SW.

I test SW for a living and we find bugs all the time that the vendor missed...aggravating, but it happens. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    I test SW for a living and we find bugs all the time that the vendor missed...aggravating, but it happens. Deal with it.
    Well said. Totally agree.
  13.    #13  
    About 47 hours now and at 45% w/o charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Well, as someone who's developed software and managed software projects for almost 30 years now, I would add that the quality of software has gotten to be far, FAR worse over the past 2 decades.

Things are MUCH buggier today than they were even 10 years ago. My own theory, based on what I see day to day in companies is that it's partially driven by bad management (poor planning, CYA, shipping stuff way before it's ready, bad QA, etc) and partially by corporate greed (offshoring, etc).

I've often thought about starting up a software company that would build things "the old fashioned way" - with quality. I'm convinced I could probably make some very, very good money doing that, as the market needs products that WORK and are fully tested. But, I digress.

Bottom line: IMHO, there is NO execuse for Palm putting out a product that has this many "quirks" and THEN refusing to acknowledge/fix it. (Witness: the 700P. Ditto). That will likely be their downfall, as MS and other companies step into the void created and put out "'better" products (I know..sacrilige, but it'll EVENTUALLY happen - look at their new iPod killer..)

All JMHO..net net: Palm would do well to lose some of the arrogance, work with their customers and take much better care of them - or someone else will come along that will. There's simply too much money to be made.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    kryichek, when you started from scratch after the hard reset, did you also install the palm desktop, and let it hotsync the files it retrieves from the "get latest settings from internet" step? I'm thinking about trying this, but want to make sure I reproduce your steps exactly, since you seem to be getting some pretty good results.
    well the 3rd day of ownership i had turned off my IR, had my mail to synch every .5 hr since i'm in the office i figure i would just minimize the syncs and it lasted all day amazingly enough. But I having a hard time adjusting to the POS, i dont like that when i'm sync'ing or doing one operation i cant go and open something else (multitask)...sooooo i called phonesource-usa and ordered a 750v and called PALM and got an RMA to return the 680. As much as i dislike Windows, i need it for work for emailing...without having to get a crackberry.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    chattermail works in the background and you can multi-task.
  18.    #18  
    55 hours later and at 30% charge.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune View Post
    kryichek, when you started from scratch after the hard reset, did you also install the palm desktop, and let it hotsync the files it retrieves from the "get latest settings from internet" step? I'm thinking about trying this, but want to make sure I reproduce your steps exactly, since you seem to be getting some pretty good results.
    When I initially installed the palm desktop on my new PC I let it go and get the latest files. After my hard reset the palm desktop was already installed so all I did was re-name the Backup folder and did a hot sync to get contacts, calendar, tasks and memos back. After that I re-installed each application from scratch. In other words the .prc's and pdb's were not on a previous Palm OS. Fresh installs.
    The hard reset has done wonders for me as well. Yesterday, I couldn't go more than 8 hrs without total battery depletion. Now after 8 hrs and chatter running continuously and 30 minutes of active phone use, I have about 80% battery left. Pretty dramatic to say the least. Thanks to all for the suggestion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast