Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Guys,
    Just a quick one.
    My batt is awful.
    I came from a 650 to 680 and just loaded in palm's cd and loaded and synced using the same user id. My back up folder was not loaded on as as the software said it would not load this as this time due to soem 3rd party software not being good for the 680.
    I would like to do a hard reset and start afresh. Please can you let me know how to do thsi .
    Thanks,
    Martin. PS, I am wanting to try out this battery idea.
    I did the hard reset, and seem to be 10% higher than I was this time before the reset. Nothing great, but better.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I trust you all have set the Date and Time preference setting to Automatically set: Nothing. I found this really improved y battery life. I don't know if the hard reset might just be changing this setting? I don't know how often the phone goes looking for the proper date and time, but it must have been fairly frequently.
    Oops, I forgot I put the phone on the charger for a little bit this afternoon. Hard reset did nothing for me. Neither did the time thing.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I hard reset the device 2-3 times. Loaded google maps and IM+ via Mac interface. Reloaded my bookmarks and faves via email attachment. Now, the device has rebooted spontaneously twice in a 3 hours No improvement in battery life noted....

GACK! Spontaneous reboots is why I returned my 600. All I've got installed is Google Maps and IM+.

Oh please let this thing not start the "reboot two step"...
    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    I hard reset the device 2-3 times. Loaded google maps and IM+ via Mac interface. Reloaded my bookmarks and faves via email attachment. Now, the device has rebooted spontaneously twice in a 3 hours No improvement in battery life noted....

GACK! Spontaneous reboots is why I returned my 600. All I've got installed is Google Maps and IM+.

Oh please let this thing not start the "reboot two step"...

I'm sure you did, but I will ask anyway -- on your first set up of the 680 and after each hard reset -- did you directly sync to the userid, or did you rename the backup folder first? Prior device settings (or software corruption that has been saved) are retained in the backup folder and can come forward to the new (or reset) device and create or continue to create havoc. . . . . .a fresh start is always best.

Cheers, Perry.
    hi guys,

im a bit confused, how does one do a hard reset? thanks
    On the T680 it's a bit different.

Remove the battery. When placing it back, hold on to the power button (red button) until the palm logo appears, let go of the power button and you should get the option to press up on the 5-way key if you wish to proceed and erase the memory... (or some such text)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Just a quick one.
    My batt is awful.
    I came from a 650 to 680 and just loaded in palm's cd and loaded and synced using the same user id. My back up folder was not loaded on as as the software said it would not load this as this time due to soem 3rd party software not being good for the 680.
    I would like to do a hard reset and start afresh. Please can you let me know how to do thsi .
    Thanks,
    Martin. PS, I am wanting to try out this battery idea.
    Do a Hard reset and start from scratch with a clean install method:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129942
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Perry,

No offense taken I created a new UID, and synced my contacts and events. Then emailed myself my bookmarks and fave .pdb and installed them that way.

The only diff is that I used my iMac an MissingSync to install GoogleMaps and IM+ where I used either email or direct install to do it earlier.

Thanks for asking man

I'm hoping my battery improves, cause I'm digging the 680 in spite of the dread from my 600 experience
    I have hard reset several times and installed my apps afresh, one at a time.

Today, I ran my battery down to 1% then charged back up till the LED was green. Since then, I'm losing 7-8% per hour, with absolutely no activity on the phone. Bluetooth off, beam receive off, screen off (except for 15 seconds / hour to check the battery), no phone calls in or out.

So, standby time for me is around 15 hours, not the 300 hours Palm has advertized.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post

Today, I ran my battery down to 1% then charged back up till the LED was green. Since then, I'm losing 7-8% per hour, with absolutely no activity on the phone. Bluetooth off, beam receive off, screen off (except for 15 seconds / hour to check the battery), no phone calls in or out.

So, standby time for me is around 15 hours, not the 300 hours Palm has advertized.
    I'm convinced some of the batteries/phones are defective, but also wondering if the battery DOES indeed get better over time..

My phone didn't hold a charge for a whit the first two weeks. Now, I went to bed with it at 56% last night, and "only" lost 15% overnight..not sure if that is "good" or not, but a definite improvement - it used to be almost dead with no charge.

Hehe.. I'll bet that's not Palm's definition of standby. I suspect their standby is with the phone off. Of course, you are still only getting about 13 hours of life.

I ran by battery down to 0% the other day and found it lasted about 20 minutes (with Chatter, Phone, and PTunes playing) before completely shutting down.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    JT,

Mine did that too at first. Now, after four complete discharges, when it hits zero, it's only there a minute or so. Charges to 99% in 60 min or less, but doesn't go green for another hour.

Can't say the hard reset has improved my battery like the OP. Improvement seems more like everyone elses..slow but noticeable.

Great community. Good info.

3 Words, my friend!!

Give it time!!!

we have all been where you are...just give your crimson crusader some time.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So is a hard reset still necessary anyway?
    How would I do a clean install on a mac, using missing sync of course.
    thx
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I replied in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    How would I do a clean install on a mac, using missing sync of course.
    thx
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    3 Words, my friend!!

Give it time!!!

we have all been where you are...just give your crimson crusader some time.
    Matt... Thanks for those words of encouragement. I sure hope you are right, but with the numbers I'm seeing it's hard to imagine improvement in the 200%+ range I'd need to consider the phone usable. Nevertheless, I'll give it all the time my return policy allows (but not a day longer!).

It's such a shame. But for this issue, this phone is exactly right for my needs.
    i went to sleep at 24% last night around 1am. my alarm failed to go off in the morning because my phone died ... at 4am. when i put a charger to it in the car, the time on the clock was around 4:15. 24% in 3 hours, with zero activity on the phone (no email checking, no incoming anything, etc.).

the phone charged to 99% in about 2 hours (wouldn't get to 100% for whatever reason). an hour and 20 minutes later i checked the phone, still 99%. that was at 4pm. it's now 7:15, and i'm at 88%, with a fair amount of txt'ing and a few phone calls.

go figure.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast