Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    quick background: for those who don't know, i've pretty much owned all of the Treos (600 and forward, both palm/windows) including some non-Treo devices (all shapes and sizes of Blackberries, PPC 6600, i730, Moto-Q). this is my second Treo with the Palm OS. i currently use a Blackberry Pearl via T-Mobile which I think is close to perfect when comparing it to all of my previous devices, for my needs. data communication is most important to me so battery longevity is a must (3k + transmissions per day, yes they can be lessened using Outlook rule wizard). calendar/contacts out of the box usually suffice but are usually handled via either Blackberry or Goodlink software. i'm don't need to edit docs, only need to be able to read and respond to them. i need voice as much as anyone, sprint isn't an option where i live. i'm a non-participant in the 3rd party world for the most part and i don't consider myself a power user although the workload might suggest such.

    likes:
    -improved form factor, there is a slight felt difference. looks better but only on the margin. for me the carved out edges are not the rage as some have made them out to be
    -screen resolution/brightness/clarity
    -keyboard (full qwerty is a luxury but could live without)
    -touchscreen (another luxury...but could do without)

    dislikes:
    -palm os....i like windows so much more. nuff said.
    -form factor......still too big....still feels like a sack of potatoes in my work trousers....no antenna is visually appealing but the thing is still big! does it feel solid and comfortable in hand? sure! it's the size of my hand and that's probably why as it's easier to grasp than something much smaller. NO, I WILL NOT USE A BELT CLIP/POUCH!
    -battery life.....53% is GREAT at the end of the day but the problem is that i have done almost nothing with it!.....i yet to install Goodlink on it and I guarantee that it will bring the device to its knees when i do. i used it very sparingly today (first day), lets wait until tomorrow and the next to see where i stand on it

    where does this phone have a place for me? for travel perhaps but i'm not sure that the battery would even allow for that. i'm just not sure i want to spend $400 for a secondary device (unbranded makes sense to me in this case as i don't want to start yet another contract with another provider) whose only attractive features to me are luxury in nature. at best it's a novelty item that does the best job of keeping you company while you wait for your car at the carwash or airplane that you are about to board.

    bottom line? better than any of the past Treos i've owned with the exception of the battery life (and op sys given my preference for windows). a very cool Treo, comparatively, but far from real greatness.

    will post more as i go along!
  2. #2  
    Are you going to test the 750 too?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    most probably. why? because i think that it's what it's all about. educated decisions are best. don't you agree? as for my return history? i've only returned the i730 and treo 700wx. all other devices are in a drawer or have been sold.

    if i were a betting man i'd say that this device is going back to await the release of the 750.

    what do i still prefer to use for my everyday? the Blackberry Pearl, hands down.

    thanks for the response, Lady Diva
  4. wcarr3's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    most probably. why? because i think that it's what it's all about. educated decisions are best. don't you agree? as for my return history? i've only returned the i730 and treo 700wx. all other devices are in a drawer or have been sold.

    if i were a betting man i'd say that this device is going back to await the release of the 750.

    what do i still prefer to use for my everyday? the Blackberry Pearl, hands down.

    thanks for the response, Lady Diva
    No offense Oalvarez, in many of your posts you've made it abundantly clear that you "really" prefer the Pearl over any device. So why do you keep buying and testing Treo devices to simply just slam them and talk about the features you like, but can live without? Again no offense, just wandering.
    Last edited by wcarr3; 12/08/2006 at 08:41 AM.
  5. allonon's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    dislikes:
    -palm os....i like windows so much more. nuff said.
    -form factor......still too big....still feels like a sack of potatoes in my work trousers....no antenna is visually appealing but the thing is still big! does it feel solid and comfortable in hand? sure! it's the size of my hand and that's probably why as it's easier to grasp than something much smaller. NO, I WILL NOT USE A BELT CLIP/POUCH!
    Shrug, to each their own. Personally, I've used several different windows devices (both windows flavors) and I gave up on all of them after 2 days. It's just not an interface I enjoy.

    And I'm not a huge fan of blackberry either. Blackberry's stability is smoke and mirrors. yes it's stable, but that's because you're limited by the java api as to what you can actually do with it. I've hard crashed several blackberries that require a complete wipe via bootloader to get working again.

    Size is all conjecture. What feels right for you might not feel right for anyone else. Take for example the Razr. everyone toutes that as the best phone ever for size and functionaility. Personally, I think it's a piece of junk and wouldn't carry it if it was given to me.

    If you don't like it, say so. But don't spout it like it's gospel.
  6. #6  
    Let me weigh in on this. I've been using both Palm and Windows devices for some time. I do prefer Windows Mobile 5 because of the similarity with the Windows desktop and the near seemless integration via OTA synchronization with the Exchange Server. PUSH email is great for me as my work depends on getting my emails and responding to them promptly. Further, while I like to think of my devices as toys, they are primarily for business.

    I had the TyTn. It was a great device. My only dislike was the slide out keyboard. I've tried the QTEK 9100 and the TyTn and do not like that. The Treo form factor (including the 680) is unbeatable. But I have to agree that the Palm OS requires compromise from an enterprise user in many regards. PUSH email can only be realized with third party solutions. There are limitations on category synchronization. Several fields in Outlook are not matched with Palm's PIM system.

    Nothwitstanding these limitations, for ease of use, great form factor and overall good user experience, I would still recommend the 680 to new users who just want ordinary synchronization with their desktop and access to email without Exchange Server synchronization. My only hesitation would be that the battery situation is really bad.

    In fact, I would even consider the Treo 680 as a secondary device if I could synchronize only email with the Exchange Server OTA, but do a desktop sync for contacts and calendar. But, I sent my 680 back because I could not do that.
    David
  7. #7  
    I think I would have preferred the BlackJack over the 680 if it had a full version of WinMobile.

    I'm not unhappy with the 680 but it would be really nice if Palm would release a product without any bugs in it. The 680 still has the 650 beat hands down as far as "product release" headaches goes.
  8. Danitaz's Avatar
    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    Shrug, to each their own. Personally, I've used several different windows devices (both windows flavors) and I gave up on all of them after 2 days. It's just not an interface I enjoy.
    Hear, hear. Actually, my husband has a Garman Windows device so I get enough opportunity to "support" it, but we don't even have Windows on our desktops around here any longer, so we are unlikely to have Windows phones. We have 5 workstations (only one Windows) and 5 servers (only one Windows). I have been GIVEN Blackberries (along with free service) twice, and I use them for a couple of weeks, REALLY trying to like them, but I just can't <g>. I played with a Nokia E61 this week, wondering what I will do if Palm every stops making Palm OS devices. I was impressed with it as a "phone", but it won't be luring me away any time soon as a PDA I fear!

    I'm enjoying my 680 (although I've only been using it for a day). So far nothing has "bitten" me as being worse than the 650, and there are many things I like about it.

    Danita
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarr3 View Post
    No offense Oalvarez, in many of your posts you've made it abundantly clear that you "really" prefer the Pearl over any device. So why do you keep buying and testing Treo devices to simply just slam them and talk about the features you like, but can live without? Again no offense, just wandering.

    you are right about the Pearl and very wrong about everything else. i used to only carry Treos as those were the devices that were available at that time that best met my needs. as for the Treo 680, i have the absolute right to test and try just as the rest of you do. i wasn't looking to replace the Pearl but perhaps to add it as a secondary device. i hardly "slam" them as you say but i do voice my opinion. treos and palm os are old technology for the most part so there isn't all that much that is "new" to talk about.

    i just called for an RMA number and it's back in its box going back to Louisville, KY. the palm os doesn't work for me and the battery is an absolute disgust. perhaps the 750 will suffice as it at least offers an op system that i prefer. again, i'd rather stay with the Pearl for the time being. don't get me wrong, the 680 is a huge improvement over most all other Treos i've owned with the exception of the battery.

    have fun
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    Shrug, to each their own. Personally, I've used several different windows devices (both windows flavors) and I gave up on all of them after 2 days. It's just not an interface I enjoy.

    And I'm not a huge fan of blackberry either. Blackberry's stability is smoke and mirrors. yes it's stable, but that's because you're limited by the java api as to what you can actually do with it. I've hard crashed several blackberries that require a complete wipe via bootloader to get working again.

    Size is all conjecture. What feels right for you might not feel right for anyone else. Take for example the Razr. everyone toutes that as the best phone ever for size and functionaility. Personally, I think it's a piece of junk and wouldn't carry it if it was given to me.

    If you don't like it, say so. But don't spout it like it's gospel.
    hardly spouting my friend, just telling it like i see it. as for the blackberries, i've owned plenty along with the rest of the financial industry and i've really never heard of anyone "crashing" theirs. perhaps you throw some serious workload at it that it can't withstand.

    sorry pal but the size is what it is, and one thing is for sure, the Treo aint small.

    regards
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by defii View Post
    ... PUSH email can only be realized with third party solutions. ...
    That's absolutely true but I'm not sure I understand your reluctance to discover whether those solutions are in fact better than what you've been using. From what I understand, Chatter does give better performance.

    To tell the truth, I would have at least thought about going to a Windows device except for the inability to use Chatter. Until Chatter can work with MS (never) or until MS comes up with a push solution as robust and powerful as Chatter (probably never), I'm going to stay with Palm even though it is pretty lame and dated.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That's absolutely true but I'm not sure I understand your reluctance to discover whether those solutions are in fact better than what you've been using. From what I understand, Chatter does give better performance.

    To tell the truth, I would have at least thought about going to a Windows device except for the inability to use Chatter. Until Chatter can work with MS (never) or until MS comes up with a push solution as robust and powerful as Chatter (probably never), I'm going to stay with Palm even though it is pretty lame and dated.
    Perhaps here is where I am ignorant. Does Chatter actually allow you to synchronize with an Exchange Server the way ActiveSync does on Windows devices and is intended to do on the new 680s? If so, does it synchronize emails, calendars, tasks and contacts? Or does Chatter only synchronize email? If it only syncs email, how could it be better than WM5 & the ActiveSync solution.

    Generally, I get emails within 2-5 seconds after they are sent - right on my WM5 devices. It is quick and reliable. Moreover, there is synchronization of ALL Outlook fields.

    But again, I like the form factor of the 680 so much (notwithstanding the fact that I don't like some of the limations of the Palm OS) that I was willing to overlook PUSH email if the OTA synchronization actually worked. It's really not very good. Yet, I would still recommend the Treo to a stand alone (non-enterprise) user if the battery problems didn't exist. Bottom line: It's attractive, reasonably sized and has tons of software available.
    David
  13. #13  
    You should probably pose those questions at the Chatter site and the information would be far more reliable. For some reason I still have the impression that you are reluctant to know. Go to the source!
  14. #14  
    All I can say is that I've tried the BB Pearl, TMobile Dash and the Sidekick III. Out of those 3, the BB Pearl was hands-down the best phone/pda. But, I've since bought the Treo 680 and with all of the drawbacks I've been reading about here on TC (battery, some resets, etc.) I have been having an excellent experience with this phone and feel back at home with my good ole' PALM OS buddy. I have so much software that it would be very heart-wrenching to have to replace it all; some of it isn't even made for BB's or WM. I am happy with my Treo 680 and definitely feel that it is an upgrade from my 650.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  15. #15  
    I really like this phone as well. I can see how someone who is a power user and needs it for corporate use would need Windows Mobile, but for me POS is perfect. Much easier to use than Windows Mobile, and it can do everything I need it to.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That's absolutely true but I'm not sure I understand your reluctance to discover whether those solutions are in fact better than what you've been using. From what I understand, Chatter does give better performance.

    To tell the truth, I would have at least thought about going to a Windows device except for the inability to use Chatter. Until Chatter can work with MS (never) or until MS comes up with a push solution as robust and powerful as Chatter (probably never), I'm going to stay with Palm even though it is pretty lame and dated.
    This is me 100% as well ... no other proggy has the ability to have multiple identities for a single account ... I guess no one thinks that you can have one email account (IMAP for example) and have all of your addresses forwarded to there and would like to reply to each of them from there . . . who knew.
  17. Danitaz's Avatar
    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    I have so much software that it would be very heart-wrenching to have to replace it all; some of it isn't even made for BB's or WM. I am happy with my Treo 680 and definitely feel that it is an upgrade from my 650.
    I'm pretty sure that's why a lot of us stay. I know that every time I've tried the BB the third party apps issue has been the killer for me (that and the overall UI, which for a Palm user is extremely unintuitive). If you CAN find BB software that is "similar" to the Palm software, it is typically much more expensive, and rarely as fully featured. I really have HONESTLY tried to like BBs, but I just can't. And WM - I won't even go there <g>. The Linux geek in me has a philosophical issue with it

    Danita
  18.    #18  
    the fact is that most Blackberry users don't use or have a need for 3rd party apps and that is why the 3rd party BB app/program market is so small. the converse is true for the Treo. intuitive you might say!
  19. Chinasaur's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #19  
    WHAT? Take a look at Handango.com for Blackberry

    All IM is 3rd party SW unless you want to burn your text plans with the "text centric" BB provided solution. Ramble, IM+, Google, YIM.

    The top Dashboard app is 3rd party as BB has no Dashboard. Password keepers are all 3rd party because BB's is not feature-packed enough. PocketDay by CrossRiverSystems.

    And the main reason that the market is smaller for 3rd party apps?

    The vast majority of BB users are BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) users under device lockdown restrictions and CAN'T install anything by design.

    OTOH, yes there are not as many apps for BB as Treo, but not for the reasons you state.
  20.    #20  
    nobody uses them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions