Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perhaps it's me but it seems everyone is ignoring the fact that the 680 is a "CONSUMER DEVICE" and not designed to do the enterprise thing.

Blackberry is a corporate device and not designed to do the consumer thing.

I'm failing to see the need to compare them since it's like comparing dogs and cats. Yes, both pets but.............. There's no resolving this comparison.

Personally, I'm a small business person and a palm person and it works great for my needs. I don't understand the need for push email and I think any employer that requires a response within minutes of sending an email is crazy and should just pick up the phone. But that's me and my brothers would certainly disagree.
    I think what he is saying is that the vast majority of users are locked out of using most of them so, naturally, they don't use them. They can't. Under those circumstances, the fact that they don't use them doesn't really say much about whether they would. If they could.
  3.    #23  
    ^ i agree with your last two posts. i'm not comparing the Treo 680 to the Pearl but I am saying that the Pearl fits my needs better and comes in a much smaller package. as for the email timeliness/urgency, it's a justifiable need in the financial market world. timely information is of the utmost importance for obvious reasons (trading and the like). for those not in the business it's much less important so i would tend to agree with you.

as for the 3rd party apps for the blackberry, they seem to be sub-par to any of those available for the wm and palm op systems. in the end, in our biz, they're really not all that necessary.

regards
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    nobody uses them.
    Well, obviously we Palm users WANT to use various third party apps on BBs or we wouldn't have looked for them! I think you protest way too much here. I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt simply because I'm an email consultant, and as such have to test a lot of devices myself and recommend BBs for various types of clients. However, I don't go over to the BB forums and just complain all day about why BBs don't work for me. I frequent this forum because I DO want to use a Treo and want to find out the best way to make it work for me, not hear over and over again why you like a different device

I've heard your message - so now it's time to just tune you out I'm afraid!

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Perhaps it's me but it seems everyone is ignoring the fact that the 680 is a "CONSUMER DEVICE" and not designed to do the enterprise thing.

Blackberry is a corporate device and not designed to do the consumer thing.
    That's true enough as far as you take it - however while the BB device truly is a corporate device and has very little use for a consumer, the Treo (and Windows Mobile devices even) really DO go both ways. If all I want is email, access to my address book and calendar, then a BB would truly fit the bill. Some corporate users will be "forced" to use a BB, because their enterprise will only support those devices. Other corporate users have more choice. When I have more choice at a customer site I typically look at non-BB devices. There are some very nice corporate push server options that work on Palms, WM, Symbian, Java, SyncML, etc. (and often at a much better price than the total "BB" package represents to an organization). Research in Motion would like people to "think" that the BB is really the only choice for the Enterprise, but that's just a way to try to keep the market from looking elsewhere.

I don't bash BBs for those folks who really need them and want them (or even have no choice and are forced to use them due to company policy). However, on a Treo discussion board, I do make some exceptions <heehee>.

Danita
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz View Post
    Well, obviously we Palm users WANT to use various third party apps on BBs or we wouldn't have looked for them!

you're a palm user, not a blackberry user. palm products and blackberry products are not one in the same. you get what they give you so take your pick.

I think you protest way too much here. I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt simply because I'm an email consultant, and as such have to test a lot of devices myself and recommend BBs for various types of clients. However, I don't go over to the BB forums and just complain all day about why BBs don't work for me.
    i've been both a blackberry and treo user. i don't "come here" to do anything more than give an opinion on the products that i use and try, as well as wanting to learn other peoples opinions on those same devices. treos used to work for me, perhaps they still do (750?) but i have found other devices that suit my needs better

I frequent this forum because I DO want to use a Treo and want to find out the best way to make it work for me, not hear over and over again why you like a different device
    great for you! nobody said that you couldn't use a treo and you've come to the right place to make it work for you if you couldn't figure it out for yourself. there are thousands of reviews and opinionated threads on this message board, that's why this place exists and why it is so great. i'm sorry that you don't like some of what you read, life must be difficult for you.

I've heard your message - so now it's time to just tune you out I'm afraid!
    wow, so hurtful
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12