1.    #1  
    Am I just crazy or is there no one making a good copy of the vaja for the Treo 680? I have to go out of country for Vaja or Covertec, two of the best cases I think. Smartphone Experts did one and it wasn't great nor terrible but why can't someone come up with a cheap alternative to the Vaja iVolution for the Treo 680. Come on! I found someone selling Covertec in the US, and I'm having to wait 3 weeks for 2 different cases for the 680. I really wish someone would come up with a good copy in the USA. Smartphone Experts, can you help us? Every review I have read says best case ever with the main con being price. Can someone help me?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joelstaylor View Post
    Am I just crazy or is there no one making a good copy of the vaja for the Treo 680? I have to go out of country for Vaja or Covertec, two of the best cases I think. Smartphone Experts did one and it wasn't great nor terrible but why can't someone come up with a cheap alternative to the Vaja iVolution for the Treo 680. Come on! I found someone selling Covertec in the US, and I'm having to wait 3 weeks for 2 different cases for the 680. I really wish someone would come up with a good copy in the USA. Smartphone Experts, can you help us? Every review I have read says best case ever with the main con being price. Can someone help me?
    Vaja's cases are made to order when they're ordered, of the finest Argentinian leather (not sheepskin pretending to be cowhide) by artisans, not assembly line sweat shop workers. The leather is hand-formed over a CAD-designed ABS shell. They're the only case maker who uses the Pantone color matching system and there are literally over a thousand different color combinations available. I have three of their i-Volution cases (watch for my upcoming review of their new "Visor" flip lid case for the 700 (it has a window in the magnetic lid instead of an SD card holder.. a brand new product).. and there's not a visible stitch showing anywhere. If you want the best, be prepared to pay for it and wait for it. Ever heard the phrase "Porsche. There is no substitute"?

Vaja is unquestionably a luxury at a luxury price. I've seen the cheap knock-offs and they just don't compare. Even Vaja's Web site is a work of art.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  3.    #3  
    Do you sell for Vaja? All kidding aside, I agree its worthy of the "porsche" label. But it just seems like in todays world, someone, "Smartphone Experts", could come up with a suitable copy for that type of shell case. Oh well, maybe i just need to pay the money and wait it out. Waiting on two cases from Covertec, only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Do you sell for Vaja? All kidding aside, I agree its worthy of the "porsche" label. But it just seems like in todays world, someone, "Smartphone Experts", could come up with a suitable copy for that type of shell case. Oh well, maybe i just need to pay the money and wait it out. Waiting on two cases from Covertec, only time will tell.
    No, I don't sell for Vaja, I don't work for them, but I've reviewed many of their products and had lots of contact with them. I always do a lot of prep work and talk to mfrs. when they send me new product to review. I like to sweat the details but also review a product as if I was a consumer considering buying it. I want as much information as I can get because I'm a very picky shopper and I know a lot of other people are too. eBay used to be flooded with cheap knock-off i-Volution cases a few months ago. They've all vanished. Either whoever was cranking them out and selling them took the money and ran, or Vaja worked with eBay's VERO program and got sales of the knockoffs stopped. The sellers were using auction titles such as "Vaja style" or "Not Vaja" or some such, just to grab potential bidders searching for Vaja cases. Those kind of keywords are against eBay policy too. No idea why the cheap ones vanished, but I haven't seen any in a couple months, just genuine Vaja cases, new and used, listed on eBay. Even used ones go for pretty good money.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Consider that Vaja may be providing a product at good value? If you don't see less expensive, comparable alternatives it's a good indicator that there isn't any margin to cut into... Are you wearing a Rolllex by any chance?
    I got this one and I love it. At $30, it is lots cheaper than vaja.

http://www.podsplus.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=210
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    Consider that Vaja may be providing a product at good value? If you don't see less expensive, comparable alternatives it's a good indicator that there isn't any margin to cut into... Are you wearing a Rolllex by any chance?
    A "Rolllex"? Are those the ones you can buy for $20.00 from a street vendor in NYC?

Not everyone wants, needs, or can afford a $140.00 Vaja case. They're beautifully made fersure, but also a status symbol. That's probably why every single used Vaja that shows up on eBay sells. People who can't hack the price of a new one but still want one can get someone else's used one. Vaja even sells a leather "suit" at about $400.00 for a certain model Sony Vaio laptop. Leather wallets for $70.00. They're a luxury brand with a luxury price. No one NEEDS a $140.00 Treo case but just like no one NEEDS a $500.00 Montblanc 149 fountain pen (yeah, I have one of those, bought it brand new around 1970 for $43.00, but back then, that was still a Helluva lot of money for a college student to spend on a pen..) when a 25 cent Bic gets the job done.. or a $25,000.00 Rolex when a $20.00 Casio will tell time just as well.. or a $125,000 Mercedes (on my shopping list as soon as I win the Lottery).. when you can get from here to there in a $9000.00 Toyota, or a $25,000.00 turntable, or 90" Plasma screen teevee, an Armani suit, or a mint copy of Action Comics #1 (which will set you back about $200,000.00).. or a bajillion other luxury items I could name, if your pockets are deep enough, and you've got the urge to treat yourself or gift someone else, they're out there.

Some luxury goods are functional, some are form over function, some are just an outrageous waste of money. Sometimes, when you do have the spare change to treat yourself to "the best" you've been lusting after and you finally get it, it can turn into "well, I finally got it" and then buyer's remorse sets in and you think "what the Hell did I do?" as you look at your stack of unpaid bills.

I heard an interesting couple of stats the other day, and sorry, I can't cite the exact source, but it stuck in my mind.. it was a CBS or ABC news blurp having to do with Xmas spending. The news announcer said the *average* American family had a total savings of $6000.00 in the bank and $15,000 to $25,000 in credit card debt, not counting a mortage if they own a home. Proving what? Proving lots of people have little to no control over how they spend money and their eyes are bigger than their wallets, so they end up in credit card Hell, make the minimum monthly payment which doesn't even cover the finance charge, and it doing that it can take twenty years to pay off a card with about $2000.00 worth of charges on it.

Let's get real - even a Treo is a luxury item (with a msrp of $650.00 for a 700p or wx bought outright without a plan, a full-price new Treo now costs more than a desktop computer with monitor..).. there are plenty of deals out there that'll put a simple cell phone into your hands for free. There are also plenty of people in the USA who can't even afford a home computer, nevermind a $650.00 phone, so they go to a public library to use one.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 12/08/2006 at 01:32 PM.
  8.    #8  
    DaDeli, that is what I'm talking about, Yahoo! Something like that, thanks for the link.
  9.    #9  
    What's funny is that I went ahead and bought the ivolution for the 680 from Vaja's site. I guess you can't beat the best. Gotta have it.
    I just received my vaja case for my 700p and it is very nice. I know it's expensive but oh so nice. It might also help me keep this phone for longer than I kept my last few phones, atleast that is what my wife is hoping for
    I spent $100 or so for a Vaja on my old T650. It was a two tone, black on the front and gray on the back. Within a few months, the color on the gray started to wear away. By nine months or so it looked so bad I stopped using it. I've read of others having the same issue. It also got so loose on the Treo that I had to put felt spacers inside to make it snug. For $100 I would have expected better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Vaja's cases are made to order when they're ordered, of the finest Argentinian leather (not sheepskin pretending to be cowhide) by artisans, not assembly line sweat shop workers. The leather is hand-formed over a CAD-designed ABS shell. They're the only case maker who uses the Pantone color matching system and there are literally over a thousand different color combinations available. I have three of their i-Volution cases (watch for my upcoming review of their new "Visor" flip lid case for the 700 (it has a window in the magnetic lid instead of an SD card holder.. a brand new product).. and there's not a visible stitch showing anywhere. If you want the best, be prepared to pay for it and wait for it. Ever heard the phrase "Porsche. There is no substitute"?

Vaja is unquestionably a luxury at a luxury price. I've seen the cheap knock-offs and they just don't compare. Even Vaja's Web site is a work of art.

Harv
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenorian View Post
    I spent $100 or so for a Vaja on my old T650. It was a two tone, black on the front and gray on the back. Within a few months, the color on the gray started to wear away. By nine months or so it looked so bad I stopped using it. I've read of others having the same issue. It also got so loose on the Treo that I had to put felt spacers inside to make it snug. For $100 I would have expected better quality.
    Had the same issue's Will never buy thier products again overpriced Horrible Cs and only last a limited time

Brought the Podsplus Copy after 6 months Still looks great