1.    #1  
    I'm a Treo (and Palm) newbie, so forgive the basic questions, but is a PC absolutely necessary to have a Treo?

The reason I ask is that my PC has been having problems and I'm going to be getting a new one in the next couple of months. With the problems I've been having on my PC, the last thing I want to do is install any new software & tie my brand new Treo into it. I'd prefer to keep them seperate.

So I really have 2 questions:

1) I noticed that some programs like Google Maps allow you to install OTA, and obviously you do not need a PC for that. But some others require you to download a .PRC file and use HotSync to install it. Is there any other way to install a .PRC file, perhaps from the device itself or from the memory card while it's in the device?

2) I don't use Outlook at all. In fact, I use AOL for my address book and calendar. So I was planning on using AOL Sync to sync my address book and calendar over the air. So the only other reason to use HotSync would be to back-up the device. So I was wondering if there is any way to back up the device onto the SD card, so if you have to do a Hard Reset you can simply sync to the SD card to get all your data, programs and settings back?? Does a program exist that does this?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    you don't absolutely need a computer to have a treo. the biggest perk, imho, of using your treo with a computer is that you have a back-up of all the data on your treo (and vice versa). so, unless something catastrophic happens, you will always have your address book, calendar, etc. somewhere.

you don't need to hotsync to install many applications on your palm - you can send them to your treo via bluetooth and your treo will ask you if you want to install that application. the trick is getting the applications in the first place - i presume you're going to have access to a computer/the internet somehow to get applications for your treo in the first place. if this computer has bluetooth, sending applications to your treo should be easy.

there is some palm software out there to back-up your treo's contents onto the SD card you have installed (backupbuddy is the first one that comes to mind). do a search in the software section here and i'm sure you'll find some suitable ones. i'm not horribly familiar with all of the options, so i'll let others speak to this qrea...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I'm a Treo (and Palm) newbie, so forgive the basic questions, but is a PC absolutely necessary to have a Treo?

The reason I ask is that my PC has been having problems and I'm going to be getting a new one in the next couple of months. With the problems I've been having on my PC, the last thing I want to do is install any new software & tie my brand new Treo into it. I'd prefer to keep them seperate.

So I really have 2 questions:

1) I noticed that some programs like Google Maps allow you to install OTA, and obviously you do not need a PC for that. But some others require you to download a .PRC file and use HotSync to install it. Is there any other way to install a .PRC file, perhaps from the device itself or from the memory card while it's in the device?

2) I don't use Outlook at all. In fact, I use AOL for my address book and calendar. So I was planning on using AOL Sync to sync my address book and calendar over the air. So the only other reason to use HotSync would be to back-up the device. So I was wondering if there is any way to back up the device onto the SD card, so if you have to do a Hard Reset you can simply sync to the SD card to get all your data, programs and settings back?? Does a program exist that does this?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Yes, my computer has bluetooth so I can do it that way. I just didn't want to install extra software on my computer.

As far as backing up my Address Book and Calendar, I use AOL for that stuff and it resides on AOL's servers, so no need to back it up. The AOL Sync program looks pretty cool in that it does over-the-air sync of both items, kind of like a MS Exchange Server does.

I'm more concerned with backing up other stuff, like settings and programs. If anyone else has any ideas for backing up on the SD card, please do share.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    You can definitely use your Treo without a pc. I install apps from the SD card all the time and use SD cards to backup as well. I hotsync calender, contacts and emails via Exchange Active sync and have been looking into doing the same thing with Yahoo. Good luck!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    You can definitely use your Treo without a pc. I install apps from the SD card all the time and use SD cards to backup as well. I hotsync calender, contacts and emails via Exchange Active sync and have been looking into doing the same thing with Yahoo. Good luck!
    Thanks. Can you breifly explain the procedure for installing an app from the SD card? Obviously I need to copy the file onto the card and then insert it in my Treo....and then what?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use Linux, and haven't connected my Treo 650 to a PC in a long long time - I think I did a real "hotsync" once. I just got my 680, and it might never get connected to a PC! I use VFSBackup to do backups to an SD card, I use ChangeName to give my Treo a "hotsync" name so that the programs that use that as their licensing mechanism will work, and I use the SD card for everything else. That said, even though my Treo has not been near a PC, my SD card occasionally gets hooked up to a PC to copy some PRCs to it so that I can install from the card, etc.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Thanks. Can you breifly explain the procedure for installing an app from the SD card? Obviously I need to copy the file onto the card and then insert it in my Treo....and then what?
    For many apps, it's as easy as copying the file from the SD card to the internal memory to "install" it - so get filez or something!

Danita
    Quote Originally Posted by r6girl View Post
    you don't absolutely need a computer to have a treo. the biggest perk, imho, of using your treo with a computer is that you have a back-up of all the data on your treo (and vice versa). so, unless something catastrophic happens, you will always have your address book, calendar, etc. somewhere.

you don't need to hotsync to install many applications on your palm - you can send them to your treo via bluetooth and your treo will ask you if you want to install that application. the trick is getting the applications in the first place - i presume you're going to have access to a computer/the internet somehow to get applications for your treo in the first place. if this computer has bluetooth, sending applications to your treo should be easy.

there is some palm software out there to back-up your treo's contents onto the SD card you have installed (backupbuddy is the first one that comes to mind). do a search in the software section here and i'm sure you'll find some suitable ones. i'm not horribly familiar with all of the options, so i'll let others speak to this qrea...
    I don't sync at all. Never have and probably never will. Yes you can get away with not having a pc. First off get an SD card like a 128mb go to your home screen. Hit the "time" tab to the far left. You will see copy, tap on that, and it will give you a list of all your apps on the phone and just as long as you have your sd card in the phone. Whatever app you tap on will copy straight to card.

To make sure your apps are on the card. Tap the "all" drop list tab on the top of your home screen. At the end of the list will be your card tab. Tap on it and your everything on your card will appear.

When it comes to calendar and contacts "Secure Backup Card" is very useful. We do carry it at SFO (shameless plug) . But backbuddy and filez is cool too.

Now the only thing you have to worry about is keeping up with the cards

If worse comes to worse. Think about getting a used palm.
    Then you can always beam everything over and just keep it with you or in a safe place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz View Post
    I use Linux, and haven't connected my Treo 650 to a PC in a long long time - I think I did a real "hotsync" once. I just got my 680, and it might never get connected to a PC! I use VFSBackup to do backups to an SD card, I use ChangeName to give my Treo a "hotsync" name so that the programs that use that as their licensing mechanism will work, and I use the SD card for everything else. That said, even though my Treo has not been near a PC, my SD card occasionally gets hooked up to a PC to copy some PRCs to it so that I can install from the card, etc.

Danita
    I have sync'd once with a windows machine (well actually VMware'd windows machine syncing to the treo over bluetooth DUN ) just to create a hotsync user name. I probably will never sync again. I use nvbackup to backup to the SD card, and then it exports it to my FTP server. Installing all apps OTA is also easy. I usually just email them to the email on the Treo and just install from there. I just take the SD card out to get music on it.

for some reason Kpilot wont sync with the 680. I dont really care to sync it right now.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  10.    #10  
    Just to review so I understand what I am doing before I attempt this, if I want to install an application to my Treo without installing HotSync, I should do the following:

1) Pair my PC to my Treo via Bluetooth.

2) Use the file-sending utility on my PC to send the .PRC install file to the Treo

3) Upon doing this, a prompt will automatically pop-up on the Treo asking me if I want to install the program.

4) Choose "yes", and it will install.

Is this correct?

Do I then need to delete the install file from some folder on the Treo, or does the Treo automatically do that after installing the program?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Installing all apps OTA is also easy. I usually just email them to the email on the Treo and just install from there.
    Can you explain the process for doing this? Is it as simply as just downloading the file from the email? Does the Treo automatically ask if you want to install the program at that point or do you need to do something else?
    Can you explain the process for doing this? Is it as simply as just downloading the file from the email? Does the Treo automatically ask if you want to install the program at that point or do you need to do something else?
    Yup, Just email yourself the file to the email address that you have set up versamail with. and just tap on the attachment and it will do its job.

another way is to copy the PRC to the SD card and then copy the file to the Treo's internal memory. that will work too...
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    If it's a prc file it's pretty easy and will self-install. There may be a question, I don't really remember. If you want to put it onto your SD card so that it functions from there as opposed to just saving it there to transfer to RAM, it's a little more detailed,though not much. One way of avoiding the details is to put it into the Palm first, and then use the "move" utility to move it over to the card, and it will automatically be put in the right place. In any event, for prc files, if you can download them from email, they will automatically install internally.