1.    #1  
    My 680 sits in my office, which has no signal and the phone is HOT to the touch when I pick it up. This happened numerous times today. I dont think its me. Is anyone elses 680's hot? Especially on the back, near the battery?

I mention the no-signal thing because maybe it's constantly trying to reach a network. I also have Chatter, maybe that is forcing live email updates with no signal, whatever it is, it's baking the treo and killing my battery (which seems to be a common theme).

The one I am using was a bit warm when I first charged the battery while it was plugged into the wall outlet but 99% of the time I use the USB charger. It is never warm on the USB.

I don't think it has ever been hot just from normal use, not that I can remember.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Since you know the Treo has no signal, is there some reason why it's on in your office? GSM devices use more energy trying to find a network, so it's best to turn off the phone when you're going to be in the office for more than half and hour. This should save your battery life quite a bit too.

The phone probably gets warm when the power is cranked up while it looks for a new network. Mine hasn't done this yet.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Agreed...
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Actually CDMA phones use much more power than GSM phones when hunting for signals. In either case, it would probably use more power hunting for a signal but not enough to be HOT. If it's unplugged and HOT, then it sounds like something is wrong with the hardware. What's it like somewhere where you do have a signal?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    My Sprint 600 used to get hot when it looked for a signal. My Cingular 650 used to get hot when it searched for a signal. My unlocked 680 gets hot too - though it seems to be warm all the time. I've never actually seen it searching for a signal. It seems to have much better reception, but it's still getting warm.

Dunc
  7.    #7  
    Thats a good tip to turn it off in the office, but not something I had to do with the 650.
    I thought it was because I was charging it, but no, the phone stayed warm even after I left and was walking in the cold for a while. I hope I don't have a bad phone. The battery did drain about 15% per hour, which seems to be consistent with other battery problems, maybe it's related.
    You might want to call your service provider, and verify you are in digital mode. If your plan is set to analog, it puts a bigger drain on your battery, creating more heat, and the signal strength and network availability reduces.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by moid View Post
    You might want to call your service provider, and verify you are in digital mode. If your plan is set to analog, it puts a bigger drain on your battery, creating more heat, and the signal strength and network availability reduces.
    There is no analog. If you have a 680 with an analog mode, I'd like to see it.

Anyway, I followed the tips from Andrews article and also disabled "live" syncing from chatter and the battery life seems to be doing somewhat better. So, from 8am to 12pm, I lost over 50% battery life. But the next 8 hours, i've only dropped to 20% after making those changes.

Phone was NOT hot at all today, perhaps related to the network search issue (i'm in a different "t-mobile friendly" office today)