Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I seem to be experiencing a rather bizarre email problem, but can't pinpoint the cause...

I'm using a trial of chatter and have set my Gmail account to forward to AOL since it has IMAP support.....and I've set chatter to retrieve from AOL. Easy, right? Well, while I sometimes experience 'PUSH' this way, most times I don't.

For instance, as a test today, I sent an email from my work address to my Gmail account. It arrived in Gmail instantly......but it took 11 MINUTES to get to my Treo! I thought it was a chatter issue, but when I went to my AOL account on my PC, the test email had only arrived there before my Treo picked it up. It took 11 MINUTES to forward from Gmail to AOL! So is it a Gmail issue? Whatever it is, it's not working properly.

I just want PUSH! Any advice? Could AOL be the issue?
    As I understand it for the push function to work your IMAP server must support the IDLE command. So I would check if AOL has this. I would also suggest setting up a free Fastmail account and forwarding you Gmail to that. If it works then AOL is your problem. I hope this helps......
    I am pushing from AOL with no problem. Longest I have waited for the email on my 680 is about 30 seconds.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyking517 View Post
    I am pushing from AOL with no problem. Longest I have waited for the email on my 680 is about 30 seconds.
    That is so strange! I don't know what's wrong. Are you forwarding to AOL from Gmail, or just using AOL? Maybe it's Gmail, though I've never had problems with them before.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    I seem to be experiencing a rather bizarre email problem, but can't pinpoint the cause...

I'm using a trial of chatter and have set my Gmail account to forward to AOL since it has IMAP support.....and I've set chatter to retrieve from AOL. Easy, right? Well, while I sometimes experience 'PUSH' this way, most times I don't.

For instance, as a test today, I sent an email from my work address to my Gmail account. It arrived in Gmail instantly......but it took 11 MINUTES to get to my Treo! I thought it was a chatter issue, but when I went to my AOL account on my PC, the test email had only arrived there before my Treo picked it up. It took 11 MINUTES to forward from Gmail to AOL! So is it a Gmail issue? Whatever it is, it's not working properly.

I just want PUSH! Any advice? Could AOL be the issue?
    I have also been noticing this issue, but it just started in the last day or two. I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with Gmail's servers forwarding to AOL or something because it just recently started happening.
    It sounds like a Gmail problem.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    I have also been noticing this issue, but it just started in the last day or two. I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with Gmail's servers forwarding to AOL or something because it just recently started happening.
    OK, so I'm not the only one! From the looks of it, perhaps it is Gmail. I'm going to try to find a phone number for them.....will report back.
    I am having same problem with AIM. It shows up in Gmail online right away and then it takes awhile to be shown in AIM. I think it is aol issue. They are doing some new things, like email for your domain for free.
    Also, check to see if AOL isn't filtering the gmail emails into the junk/bulk folder. I think that can delay the process.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I couldn't find any contact phone number for Gmail....but I did send an email to their tech support. Who knows. I checked AOL and my emails are NOT being filtered into the junk folder. This evening it's been better...1min delay or so. I'm hoping it's a temporary issue of course.