Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Given that there are at least 4 other 680 battery threads. . . . . what's another one.

Anyway, observations of a bystander on the issue:

1. 680 battery life was going to be a highly visible concern given that the standard battery was going from 1800 mAh to 1200 mAH vs. the 650.

2. Given this hightened scrunity -- people have been hper-vigilant as to battery drain immediately (more so than with prior model releases)-- before the batteries have had a chance to "condition" themselves -- and have thus become very concerned, but perhaps prior to the true picture being known.

3. Yes, there may have been some bad batteries out there that have added fuel to the fire.

4. If the speculation on the 680 being delayed is true, the possibility that the batteries have been in "storage" longer than normal and need more conditioning time to ramp up to full power -- could also be true. . . .

Anyway --

1. Charge your battrery for 12 to 15 hous in the unit as soon as you can. (This syncs the device, battery and charging circuitry.)
    2. Deep cycle the battery down to 5 to 10% (then FULL cahrge) 3 to 5 times. (This sets the battery's chemistry for full power.)
    3. Now -- how does your battery's capacity stack up?
    4. Then keep the battery topped off as often as possible for battery longevity.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/07/2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    In the 650 early days there were many threads on battery drain and several bits of knowledge came out of them:

1. Network connections not releasing -- draining the battery.
    2. Low or no service area causing the Treo to continuously search for better service -- thus draining the battery.
    3. Software glitch causing a program to loop and drain the battery.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry,
    I orginally posted this on another thread, but maybe you can assist...
    Should the 680 release the network connections automatically? Or do we have to do it manually each time Blazer is used? I just noticed on my 680 that GPRS remained connected even after going to a different application, which I believe was the cause of the battery drain for me. As of 945 am, my battery level is a lot higher than yesterday because I manually disconnected the network after using Blazer.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsun View Post
    Perry,
    I orginally posted this on another thread, but maybe you can assist...
    Should the 680 release the network connections automatically? Or do we have to do it manually each time Blazer is used? I just noticed on my 680 that GPRS remained connected even after going to a different application, which I believe was the cause of the battery drain for me. As of 945 am, my battery level is a lot higher than yesterday because I manually disconnected the network after using Blazer.

Blazer on the 650 does disconnect automatically (and I do watch that the little communications arrows do disappear from above the signal strength bars). I also have HandMark Pocket Express set to disconnect on exit.

Not having a 680 -- I am not sure if it will or won't auto disconnect.

When you exit -- go to the main phone screen -- and see if the communication arrows stay or disappear to test this. (Or you can look under System>Preferences>Network and see if the toggle is set to connect or disconnect -- whatever it is set at -- the phone is on the opposite.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Blazer no longer automatically disconnects on the 680. The data will stay connected for a period of time. Eventually, it should shut itself down after no activity.

To disconnect manually, go to Prefs/Network. Tap Disconnect.....As Perry stated above.
  5.    #5  
    OKAY, PalmOS 10 year veteran and loyalist here.

If this is true, why in God's green earth would you disable or delay this auto disconnect feature on a device where you have downsized the battery to get a slimmer profile? Is there stay connected strategy in play here? To what advantage?

Ok, done with my rant.
    OKAY, PalmOS 10 year veteran and loyalist here.

If this is true, why in God's green earth would you disable or delay this auto disconnect feature on a device where you have downsized the battery to get a slimmer profile? Is there stay connected strategy in play here? To what advantage?

Ok, done with my rant.
    It definitely appears to be true!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...nnect+internet
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Perry.

As they say, with Lithium Ion batteries, complete discharging is not required. I disagree due to years of cell phone battery experience. I recommend people completely discharge (not just to 10% or 5%) at least three times to ensure that the circuitry is sync'd.

After a LiIon battery is conditioned, it's not necessary (and can be harmful) to deep cycle discharge/charge. In fact, as Palm states, LiIon batteries like to be kept charged. But once a month or so, will not affect the lenght of battery life and will keep phone and battery sync'd with each other.

One vote for (at least) three FULL cycles when you get this phone/battery combo.
    I don't think that any 680 owner will have any difficulty deep cycling the battery! Mine is dead by the end of the day, every day!
    i personally think it is laughable that they would release the phone with such a small powerplant. if they did it to reduce weight they were wrong in where to start looking for it. i accept the whole "deep cycle/conditioning" thing but for crying out loud IT SHOULDN"T HAVE TO COME TO THIS! you ever hear from owners of non-treo devices clammoring about their batteries as we have with the release of this phone? the battery isn't sufficient to power this device efficiently and adequately.

my .02!
    More likely, they were probably trying to keep everything on the cheap with the smaller battery.

And actually people were complaining about SE's battery life on HoFo. No one on these forums is ever happy, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    why the free option to return the phone to sender is so valuable.

put junk in get junk out.

no, i don't want to hear about extended batteries as it defeats the purpose of the lesser weight device.

happier so far without it. will give it some more time.
    Well, I totally don't buy the battery being so sized to reduce weight/cost. Bear in mind that this is the *same* battery (capacity and form factor) as used in the 750V, a 3G phone. I think the battery sizing was all about the size and design of the phone. By removing the antenna bud and making the associated moves of teh SIM and SD slots, downsizing the battery was probably inevitable.

And if you think WE'RE having a problem with battery life, imagine what those poor bastards with the 750 and UMTS are seeing. Seido cannot come out with increased capacity batteries fast enough in this situation.
    the smaller batteries do in fact weigh less and is "one" of the reasons why both the 750 and 680 are 1oz less heavy than their treo counterparts.

you are right, the battery sizing was all about the size and design of the phone. that's exactly what i'm talking about.
    I inquired in the 750 forum, they say no drain problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Well, I totally don't buy the battery being so sized to reduce weight/cost. Bear in mind that this is the *same* battery (capacity and form factor) as used in the 750V, a 3G phone. I think the battery sizing was all about the size and design of the phone. By removing the antenna bud and making the associated moves of teh SIM and SD slots, downsizing the battery was probably inevitable.

And if you think WE'RE having a problem with battery life, imagine what those poor bastards with the 750 and UMTS are seeing. Seido cannot come out with increased capacity batteries fast enough in this situation.
    Actually an office collegue bought the 750v the same time I did as he was into WM5. His battery life is at least 2 to 3 times better than mine and he is having a good laugh at my expense.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i personally think it is laughable that they would release the phone with such a small powerplant. if they did it to reduce weight they were wrong in where to start looking for it. i accept the whole "deep cycle/conditioning" thing but for crying out loud IT SHOULDN"T HAVE TO COME TO THIS! you ever hear from owners of non-treo devices clammoring about their batteries as we have with the release of this phone? the battery isn't sufficient to power this device efficiently and adequately.

my .02!
    Let me go ahead and throw in my 2 cents as well. Usually, I'm not a big griper. I wasn't all up in arms with the perceived shipping delays with the graphite units, like many other were. However, something is wrong with these batteries, whether it is something wrong with the way the 680 was engineered, or if the batteries sat for 6 months on a shelf due to delays, or whether theses batteries just simply suck. It should not be this way. For as much as we paid for a device, we shouldn't have to worry about disabling bluetooth, IR, or any of the other tips given to get more life out of a battery. Additionally, we shouldn't have to wait around for an extended battery from Seido to come to the rescue to satisfy us. This should have been an issue for Palm to QA before the devices went on sale. As many have already said, even on your initial charge, that should be enough to hold a phone easily for an entire day regardless of the level of usage. Heck, the battery on my T-Mobile SDA I believe is only 1100 mAh and I easily went for at least 3 day without having to recharge. That may be comparing apples to oranges, but it is still slighly aggravating how bad the 680 battery issues are. Enough of my complaining, because after ditching my 600 a couple of years ago and going without a Treo for over 2 years, I'm willing to hang in there with the 680 due to all the other things I love about the phone. I guess it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarr3 View Post
    Let me go ahead and throw in my 2 cents as well. Usually, I'm not a big griper. I wasn't all up in arms with the perceived shipping delays with the graphite units, like many other were. However, something is wrong with these batteries, whether it is something wrong with the way the 680 was engineered, or if the batteries sat for 6 months on a shelf due to delays, or whether theses batteries just simply suck. It should not be this way. For as much as we paid for a device, we shouldn't have to worry about disabling bluetooth, IR, or any of the other tips given to get more life out of a battery. Additionally, we shouldn't have to wait around for an extended battery from Seido to come to the rescue to satisfy us. This should have been an issue for Palm to QA before the devices went on sale. As many have already said, even on your initial charge, that should be enough to hold a phone easily for an entire day regardless of the level of usage. Heck, the battery on my T-Mobile SDA I believe is only 1100 mAh and I easily went for at least 3 day without having to recharge. That may be comparing apples to oranges, but it is still slighly aggravating how bad the 680 battery issues are. Enough of my complaining, because after ditching my 600 a couple of years ago and going without a Treo for over 2 years, I'm willing to hang in there with the 680 due to all the other things I love about the phone. I guess it is what it is.
    I couldn't agree with you more. This should have been worked out long before the release of the 680. The fact of the matter is that I disabled many of these power-consuming features as per suggestions in multiple threads on this forum. Despite that, TWICE in a 24 hour period I drained the battery. That is, I had to do TWO full recharges in 1 day. Fortunately, I had my charger at all times, otherwise this would have been a disaster.

The funny thing is that I am just basically running a few apps: Chatter (with power consumption set to minimal), Blazer, Epocrates (medical program), Google Maps, Filez, Aero Player. The rest are the standard apps that come with the 680.

This battery life is unbelievable horrible, and I agree that Palm shouldn't depend on a 3rd party maker of batteries to "bail them out". Hopefully, Palm will acknowledge and address this deficiency and will offer a fix free of charge. If not, I don't think I am willing to spend another $50 bucks on a Seidio battery, just to fix a inherent defect of the 680. Despite, my willingness to stick with Palm, if this is not addressed soon, I think it may be time to move on. Maybe, the 750 battery life is indeed better, but I honestly prefer the Palm OS. The TyTN is looking better everyday.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramet View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. This should have been worked out long before the release of the 680. The fact of the matter is that I disabled many of these power-consuming features as per suggestions in multiple threads on this forum. Despite that, TWICE in a 24 hour period I drained the battery. That is, I had to do TWO full recharges in 1 day. Fortunately, I had my charger at all times, otherwise this would have been a disaster.

The funny thing is that I am just basically running a few apps: Chatter (with power consumption set to minimal), Blazer, Epocrates (medical program), Google Maps, Filez, Aero Player. The rest are the standard apps that come with the 680.

This battery life is unbelievable horrible, and I agree that Palm shouldn't depend on a 3rd party maker of batteries to "bail them out". Hopefully, Palm will acknowledge and address this deficiency and will offer a fix free of charge. If not, I don't think I am willing to spend another $50 bucks on a Seidio battery, just to fix a inherent defect of the 680. Despite, my willingness to stick with Palm, if this is not addressed soon, I think it may be time to move on. Maybe, the 750 battery life is indeed better, but I honestly prefer the Palm OS. The TyTN is looking better everyday.

Wow. One man's basic usage is another man's power user. I'm not sure you will like a 3200 mAH sticking out the back of a 680 . . . sort of defeats the purpose of the slimmer and lighter design -- which the 1200 mAh was part of. I will probably go for the 3200mAh for my 700P as I am a utility first, style 2nd dinosaur. As you have read most of the threads -- I imagine your battery is fully "conditioned" by now and that you did do a clean install. The battery should provide the standard talk and standby times stated with the device. From what you have stated as your usage and set up -- I would consider you a power user and your results will no doubt be less. 2 charges a day less? Don't know. Chatter can be a drain. If you did not do a clean install -- you could have a software glitch drain. And everytime you access the screen as a PDA for reference, music, maps and such -- you are "burning" thru the "talk time minutes" calculation, in essence. This is a very unscientific opinion -- but in my mind -- SCREEN ON = Talk time battery minutes used. If you have Chatter set to check every 10 minutes (6 times an hour) and the screen stays on 3 minutes after each check -- you are burning thru 18 minutes of talk time battery minutes an hour right there. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/08/2006 at 08:49 AM.
    Wow. One man's basic usage is another man's power user. I'm not sure you will like a 3200 mAH sticking out the back of a 680 . . . sort of defeats the purpose of the slimmer and lighter design -- which the 1200 mAh was part of. I will probably go for the 3200mAh for my 700P as I am a utility first, style 2nd dinosaur. As you have read most of the threads -- I imagine your battery is fully "conditioned" by now and that you did do a clean install. The battery should provide the standard talk and standby times stated with the device. From what you have stated as your usage and set up -- I would consider you a power user and your results will no doubt be less. 2 charges a day less? Don't know. Chatter can be a drain. If you did not do a clean install -- you could have a software glitch drain. And everytime you access the screen as a PDA for reference, music, maps and such -- you are "burning" thru the "talk time minutes" calculation, in essence. This is a very unscientific opinion -- but in my mind -- SCREEN ON = Talk time battery minutes used. If you have Chatter set to check every 10 minutes (6 times an hour) and the screen stays on 3 minutes after each check -- you are burning thru 18 minutes of talk time battery minutes an hour right there. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Yeah, I guess I am using more Palm Apps than what would be considered basic. In any event, I am gettting only about 8 hours of battery life. For some reason, I think that Chatter is the biggest culprit, followed by the Blazer issue (when it doesn't disconnect). My Palm is an Artic unlocked version. I will check the firmware version to see if this is an issue. I also have disabled bluettooth and the Beam is set to off. Would you recommend doing a clean install again???
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramet View Post
    Yeah, I guess I am using more Palm Apps than what would be considered basic. In any event, I am gettting only about 8 hours of battery life. For some reason, I think that Chatter is the biggest culprit, followed by the Blazer issue (when it doesn't disconnect). My Palm is an Artic unlocked version. I will check the firmware version to see if this is an issue. I also have disabled bluettooth and the Beam is set to off. Would you recommend doing a clean install again???

LOL -- at my next thought. . . . .

If you can stand the withdrawal symptoms -- run with Chatter OFF and NO Blazer for a day and see if the battery life equates to the listed device specs, while equating PDA time as "talk time" in the analysis.

If it does, I do not think you need a clean install -- unless you did just sync to a prior userid. Software glitches can drain a battery, but in your case -- I just think your battery is not fully "conditioned" yet and that you give that puppy a work out every day.

Carrying a spare battery sort of defeats the purpose of a slimmer and lighter device -- but I guess that is better than an extension cord. I have always carried a spare on my business trips. I use the 2400 mAh in my 650. I may or may not go with the 3200 mAh in my soon to be 700P, I will see how my usage goes first.

Cheers, Perry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast