Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    LOL -- at my next thought. . . . .

If you can stand the withdrawal symptoms -- run with Chatter OFF and NO Blazer for a day and see if the battery life equates to the listed device specs, while equating PDA time as "talk time" in the analysis.

If it does, I do not think you need a clean install -- unless you did just sync to a prior userid. Software glitches can drain a battery, but in your case -- I just think your battery is not fully "conditioned" yet and that you give that puppy a work out every day.

Carrying a spare battery sort of defeats the purpose of a slimmer and lighter device -- but I guess that is better than an extension cord. I have always carried a spare on my business trips. I use the 2400 mAh in my 650. I may or may not go with the 3200 mAh in my soon to be 700P, I will see how my usage goes first.

Cheers, Perry.
    Thanks Perry, I will give this a try...By the way, I just heard my 680 make that distinctive little beep......time to go charge my 680 again (3rd full charge required in a little over 24 hours!!!). This thing is like a neonate!!!! I really hope I can get this battery thing worked out, for other than this issue, the 680 is great upgrade to the 650.

Thanks,

Rob W.
  2.    #22  
    The Palm web site lists "talk time" as "up to 4 hours."

So, in my mind, anything north of 3 hours hits the mark. Chatter alone, if set for every 10 minutes, would eat thru that in 10 hours.

If set for every 5 minutes, would eat thru that in 5 hours. . . . . . . . .

Then add in any other usage. . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/08/2006 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm running with Chatter on (1 IMAP folder pushed, 3 IMAP folders quick synced hourly, 2 POP3 accounts synced hourly), 4Cast checking hourly, Bluetooth on , yada yada yada.. and I'm at 6 hours and counting at 45% but trying VERY hard to stress the battery. (Lots of downloads today, full backups, ptunes on the way in...) So, I'm not sure blaming Chatter for life less than 8 hours would be appropriate. (The usage above probably equates closer to 12 hours use in normal life.)
    I don't think it's the battery - I think it's something in the hardware/software. Here's why:

I get about 1.5 days out of a charge - relatively light use. I do, however, get a strong continuous drain even if I don't use it at all. This is different from the 650 where a full charge and virtually no use would still see the charge in the 90+% range at the end of the day.

Two things I've experienced: One, if I turn on a bunch of the sound options on in ZLauncher, my 680 is doing "something" very often. Sometimes every 30 seconds, sometimes randomly throughout the day, but the screen is off, it's just sitting there, but the ZLauncher transition beeps and sounds happen. Interesting.

More interesting is what happened when I put my 650 battery in there. Normally if I put a fresh 650 battery in it would be in the 99% to 96% for a few hours in the morning with light use. 5 minutes in the 680 and it was down to 81%. It leveled off around 80% and has been there for a half hour or so, but something's pulling on the battery pretty hard.

So, I don't think the 680 batteries are the problem - I think something's draining them unusually quick. Bad news is that this sucks. Good news is it's probably the type of thing that could have a software/firmware fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    I don't think it's the battery - I think it's something in the hardware/software. Here's why:

snip...

Normally if I put a fresh 650 battery in it would be in the 99% to 96% for a few hours in the morning with light use. 5 minutes in the 680 and it was down to 81%. It leveled off around 80% and has been there for a half hour or so, but something's pulling on the battery pretty hard.

So, I don't think the 680 batteries are the problem - I think something's draining them unusually quick. Bad news is that this sucks. Good news is it's probably the type of thing that could have a software/firmware fix.
    OUCH! what happens if you remove ZLauncher for a day?
    Cascade, that's what I now think, after learning that the 680 and 750 batteries are the same.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Carrying a spare battery sort of defeats the purpose of a slimmer and lighter device -- but I guess that is better than an extension cord. I have always carried a spare on my business trips. I use the 2400 mAh in my 650. I may or may not go with the 3200 mAh in my soon to be 700P, I will see how my usage goes first.

For the 680 you are going to have to carry to Batts and a charge on trips, no doubt!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    One way for Palm to own up to the problem and take responsiblilty is for all of the owners to return their 680's...it would clearly send a message. But by just complaining about it on a forum and do nothing about it, it shows Palm it's really not a problem!
    What would you have them do... return them? Boycott Palm? File a lawsuit?

Most of these folks have probably already spent quality time on the phone with Palm support. Frankly, that should be quite a sufficient signal to Palm that they have at least a process problem (e.g. not pre-conditioning the batteries) if not a growing quality issue.

That said, I've remarked to more than a few people that even with problems the 680 is VASTLY better than the 650 was out of the gate. Maybe that's not much consolation for some, but despite more frequent recharges I'm much happier with this device that I ever was the 650. And it hasn't even been a whole week yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i personally think it is laughable that they would release the phone with such a small powerplant. if they did it to reduce weight they were wrong in where to start looking for it. i accept the whole "deep cycle/conditioning" thing but for crying out loud IT SHOULDN"T HAVE TO COME TO THIS! you ever hear from owners of non-treo devices clammoring about their batteries as we have with the release of this phone? the battery isn't sufficient to power this device efficiently and adequately.

my .02!

Yup My razr battery sucked. Worst phone I ever had.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Because of the type of usage I do, I'm quite capable of running my 650 out of battery power by noon plenty of days - so I've become accustomed to having a car charger/usb charger that stays with me always. When I'm not moving around, my phone is typically in the charger. I was at the Brussels airport yesterday morning, and my battery was almost dead! I thought I had charged it the night before, but I guess not. So I went to the internet cafe (which was deserted at 10:00 a.m.) and just used my USB charger on one of the PCs <g> - didn't even have to use the PC itself - I did have my power cord as well, but had already packed up my converters, so luckily I had the USB cable handy <g>.

While I can appreciate that many of you are not used to losing your battery so quickly, I guess I've just gotten used to it over the years. That said, my 680 has been used today in pretty much "standard" operating procedure around here, and at 4:00 pm still has a 71% charge!

Danita
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12