1.    #1  
    I am looking for a solution to allow me to have internet access on my laptop from anywhere. I have a treo 650 atm, and was looking at getting a 700p mainly to use the link to my laptop to browse the net. MY laptop also has a built in verizon EVDO card. I am already paying verizon the $50 extra for the data package on my treo 650 but I have not tried out the EVDO card on my laptop.

My question is if I upgrade to the treo 700p, will the speeds and stability of connecting my treo 700p to my laptop be sufficient enough, or should I just get the EVDO subscription? Work is paying for this but I do not want to toss their money away with the EVDO setup if a treo 700p will get the job done. One thing I do not want is to spend half of the time trying to get the 700p to work with my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
    I am looking for a solution to allow me to have internet access on my laptop from anywhere. I have a treo 650 atm, and was looking at getting a 700p mainly to use the link to my laptop to browse the net. MY laptop also has a built in verizon EVDO card. I am already paying verizon the $50 extra for the data package on my treo 650 but I have not tried out the EVDO card on my laptop.

My question is if I upgrade to the treo 700p, will the speeds and stability of connecting my treo 700p to my laptop be sufficient enough, or should I just get the EVDO subscription? Work is paying for this but I do not want to toss their money away with the EVDO setup if a treo 700p will get the job done. One thing I do not want is to spend half of the time trying to get the 700p to work with my laptop.
    I'm still using a 650, myself (and seriously considering a 700p), but I was curious about your first paragraph.

Why wouldn't/couldn't you use your Treo 650's DUN-capabilities to have internet access on your laptop?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm still using a 650, myself (and seriously considering a 700p), but I was curious about your first paragraph.

Why wouldn't/couldn't you use your Treo 650's DUN-capabilities to have internet access on your laptop?
    The speed of the 650 is terrible compared to the 700 or EVDO PC cards.
    Not sure what you are looking for but:

As a trial run -- to provide for my daughter's Internet access while she is at Grandma's for 2 weeks later this month -- I set up her 700P on the PAM plan. (Phone as Modem).

Phone Minutes Package = 1 cost
    Power Vision = 2nd cost
    PAM = 3rd cost at either $39 or $59 levels

The install was simple, straight forward and went right the first go around:

1. Put the PAM plan on daughter's phone at the Sprint Store.
    2. Went home -- found the Treo 700P install disk.
    2. Went to bonus software.
    4. Selected Sprint Business Connection.
    5. Selected 700P as the device to add drivers for.
    6. It installed.
    7. Connected the 700P with it's USB cable to the laptop.
    8. Opened Business Connection from the provided desktop icon.
    9. Selected "Connect"
    10. Surfed the NET with greater speed than I had expected.

Cheers, Perry.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Not sure what you are looking for but:

As a trial run -- to provide for my daughter's Internet access while she is at Grandma's for 2 weeks later this month -- I set up her 700P on the PAM plan. (Phone as Modem).

Phone Minutes Package = 1 cost
    Power Vision = 2nd cost
    PAM = 3rd cost at either $39 or $59 levels
    Well I already have the phone minutes package and I have the unlimited data service also to my 650. Isnt that all I need plus maybe PDAnet or some software like that?
    The speed of the 650 is terrible compared to the 700 or EVDO PC cards.
    Ahh. I thought you just wanted access.

You wanna leave skid-marks on the 'net.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Ahh. I thought you just wanted access.

You wanna leave skid-marks on the 'net.
    Yeah. If I cannot get decent speeds I wont even waste my time with it. Treo 650 speeds are not acceptable.
    Yeah. If I cannot get decent speeds I wont even waste my time with it. Treo 650 speeds are not acceptable.
    Mine's cool, for me, but I guess yours is for work. I could see having stricter standards.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    As I don't have a PC card to compare with, I can't compare the speed with my Treo 700p. (Though I'm pretty happy when I tether my 700p with my laptop using PDANet).

The OP should be aware that you cannot have active voice and data at the same time. So if you are talking to your business colleague on your Treo 700p, you cannot access the web from your tethered laptop as the data connection is suspended. So if you do both (voice and data) very often, you should keep your PCMCIA EV-DO card.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    As I don't have a PC card to compare with, I can't compare the speed with my Treo 700p. (Though I'm pretty happy when I tether my 700p with my laptop using PDANet).

The OP should be aware that you cannot have active voice and data at the same time. So if you are talking to your business colleague on your Treo 700p, you cannot access the web from your tethered laptop as the data connection is suspended. So if you do both (voice and data) very often, you should keep your PCMCIA EV-DO card.
    Not being able to talk while on is fine. How stable is your connection? Do you have to "tweak" something half of the time when you try to connect or does it work 95% of the time? How would you compare your speeds? Lite DSL aka atleast 1.5mb? I do not expect cable modem speeds but I dont want 56k modem speed either.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Not being able to talk while on is fine. How stable is your connection? Do you have to "tweak" something half of the time when you try to connect or does it work 95% of the time? How would you compare your speeds? Lite DSL aka atleast 1.5mb? I do not expect cable modem speeds but I dont want 56k modem speed either.
    Connection has been stable for me. An incoming voice call will interrupt the connection, though. As for the speed, I wish I could give you some speed test result. I believe it's good because it helped me survive my few days at the courts while I was idling in my recent Jury Duty. I was able to do pretty much what I usually do in the office while tethering.

Some other posters may want to chime in for the exact speed.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have been using my 700p with PDAnet to connect my laptop to the web when not in WiFi coverage. Speeds are within EVDO's reach, between 200kbps and tops I got 400kbps.

Speed tests when the phone is connected are tricky. Speed tests online would give you >1MBps results for tethered operation, but definitely those numbers are not 100% realistic. The speed I reported was what I obtained with the phone in stand alone mode. No reason to think there's a major significant change when connected to USB to my laptop.

The only apparent difference is the laptop renders webpages faster than the Treo, for obvious CPU-power reasons.
    First of all let me tell you outright that I don't have connection cards but use Treo700p as a modem.
    You have to decide if you want to do pure data or you ok with interruptions (cant talk while connected to net and wise versa). Also legal phone as modem prices starts at 39.99 for treo700p and regular cost of EVDO plans for EVDO cards are 70+. Also for cards you have to buy it first and then you have to have two year commitment for rebate and for good plan (under 80 bucks). This is true unless you buy SERO data plan for which you have to commit for 2 years but get lower data plan rate (49.99) and still get rebate on card (but you still have to buy it i think).
    Also, you have to understand that if you buy EVDO rev.A cards that are in market you do get a increase in speed (mostly upload but slight download) so if you get dedicated EVDO card you will have this benefit.
    My personal experience is; buy EVDO card and get dedicated data plan if you use internet a lot because its a hassle to connect treo700p with USB cable for long hours (bluetooth connection for data use wont give you very good speeds) and you will be handicap using treo as pda while connection is live (mine freezes). And last but not least, you will (and mark my words) wish you could use data and phone at the same time sometime in future one day when important call comes in and you have to use data for discussion/meeting/plan (with me many times) or just to browse and you cant.
    I hope you make sure what you want before making switch to 700p.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.