1.    #1  
    This morning when I turned the Cingular Treo 680 on, the screen lit as usual. I turned on the telephone and the light wouldn't go out. I turned it off using the power button. About 5 seconds later, the light came back on for about 5 seconds, then turned itself off. It did this for about 10 minutes. Repeated power button functions didn't affect it at all. I finally had to remove the battery for a minute, then re-install it. It did a soft reset and hasn't done it again.

I've had my Cingular Treo 680 less than a week. Every time I use the "Find" function, it does a soft reset. I'm traveling right now but have been advised to try a "clean" re-install when I return home on Friday. I'll keep you posted.

680 users: Please advise any similar or additional problems you're experiencing with the 680. I'm close to returning it and going back to my 650. Glad I hadn't sold it yet. TIA.
    Take it back and have it replaced. No need to go back to the 650, give it some time.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Do you have any third party software installed? Did you do a hotsync directly from the 650 data? If so it sounds like a software problem. Doing a hard reset and loading data from scratch is the solution. If you don't have anything like that installed then it might be a hardware problem.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I had a stable 680, everything installed and working great - until I put my SIM in - then all I would get were resets when I tried to use the calendar or contacts applications. Even a hotsync caused a reset - my guess is my saved_preferences file got corrupted.

I ended up doing a hard reset and carefully syncing to get my essential (calendar, contacts, memos etc) non third-party data back. Then I carefully re-installed each app and synced to get the apps data back. A pain in the ***, but now everything is good - no unexpected resets since I went through the process (and I have a lot of third party applications installed).
    I'm having the same problem. I have not installed any software. I have not hot synched. I only installed my SIM card and now I'm getting random resets. I haven't even had the phone 24 hours!

I answered the phone, and it reset, losing the call. Not a good start.
    I have had my 680 for two days. First timer. My 680 goes bonkers on a regular basis! Every function jumping around all over by itself, the screen flashes and often just goes blank (white blank, not off blank), or it will turn itself off after being on only a second, or not turn off when i have turned it off. I will be playing a song (happens to different songs) then all of a sudden it keeps restarting and plays the first few seconds of the song over and over. Or i will touch the screen and it jumps all over the place. I turn it on while locked and enter my security code and press ok, but the screen keeps jumping over to "make emergency phone call" so i touch the enter code box again, but rather than the touch screen responding to the box i pressed, it registers an enter command in the emergency call box and then i have to hurry and get the battery out of it while it is placing the call. I cannot control it, it is completely unusable. I have to take the battery out for a while, then after the soft reset, it is ok for a very short time before it goes completely crazy again. I already told cingular and I am exchanging it, but dread doing all that set up again. With the new one, I will not install anything until i see if it is working. I totally loved my wonderful little 680 for the one day that it actually worked. I hope that they aren't all like this!
  7.    #7  
    I went through (well, TRIED) the hard reset procedure set forth in the 680 manual AND the instructions of someone on the forum, to no avail. The 680 would resest, then shut off, then start up, then shut off, then start up, ad infinitum. I had to take the battery out to stop the damn thing. And this happened over and over again. This thing is a POS. Whoever is in charge of QA at Palm is obviously asleep at the wheel. Cingular will be getting their 680 back tomorrow. I've already done a HotSync with my old 650 (with the 680 desktop software) and it's working its normal perfect self. Palm has screwed themselves on this one for sure.
    Found out that the problem was the shiping screen protector. I was just using it until i got around to cutting a new one from the material provided in the box that the phone came in. I changed the protector, and all is fine, my treo is happy and so am I... glad i never returned it, as the only thing wrong with it was its operator!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    I had a stable 680, everything installed and working great - until I put my SIM in - then all I would get were resets when I tried to use the calendar or contacts applications. Even a hotsync caused a reset - my guess is my saved_preferences file got corrupted.

I ended up doing a hard reset and carefully syncing to get my essential (calendar, contacts, memos etc) non third-party data back. Then I carefully re-installed each app and synced to get the apps data back. A pain in the ***, but now everything is good - no unexpected resets since I went through the process (and I have a lot of third party applications installed).
    Do you have a 3G sim card or the old 64k sim?